New stadium

If people were going to pay to sit in the seats, why would we not be able to get a loan. Or why would rich owners not want to pay for the seats out of their own pocket?

I dont know mate... Its just a fear...

If everything works out rosey then I will be happy to have worried over nothing...

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrewsbury-New-Meadow_1221894.jpg

Replace the yellow STFC seats with white seats that spell OAFC and that (pitches included probably) and I would put a large amount of money that this will be a very close representation of what we will have to settle for.

Depressing isnt it (give me a carbon copy of the keepmoat but in blue and white anyday over this)

Bloody awful! Looks like 4 stands plonked in the middle of a field, hope we've got more foresight than this :angry:

I'm not a gambling man, but I think there is a world of difference between saying that something is not an impossibility and accepting an even money bet on promotion for a team currently a few points outside the play-offs. It would be a reasonable bet maybe if we were in 2nd at the moment, giving our owners enough time to deliberately scupper our chances as they clashed with our plans. Isn't this aout the medium - long term anyway? How's about I win if we are promoted during this or the following 3 seasons, you win if we go down, first result is the winner, stay in the 3rd division is a draw??

So you don't think promotion is a possibility this season, after all, then? That's the trouble with optimists-with too many of them it's only skin deep.

I've made no other predictions about the timing of promotion and relegation.

So you don't think promotion is a possibility this season, after all, then? That's the trouble with optimists-with too many of them it's only skin deep.

I've made no other predictions about the timing of promotion and relegation.

That's a joke, surely? I am pretty sure that I couldn't count the predictions you have made for the timing of our next promotion on the fingers of an ambitious Burnley council estate. I do think promotion is a possibility. Somewhat less than evens, if we were in the play-offs and held our position that would be 1/4. I am an optimist, but not an idiot.

That's a joke, surely? I am pretty sure that I couldn't count the predictions you have made for the timing of our next promotion on the fingers of an ambitious Burnley council estate. I do think promotion is a possibility. Somewhat less than evens, if we were in the play-offs and held our position that would be 1/4. I am an optimist, but not an idiot.

Only if you include never. That's the only prediction I'm prepared to make regarding the promotion for this club as presently constituted.

There's no need to complicate things. You said it's possible that we'll go up this season. I said it wasn't and offered £100 to a charity of your choice if I'm wrong, if you'll do the same for me. You bottled it like the others. End of story.

Only if you include never. That's the only prediction I'm prepared to make regarding the promotion for this club as presently constituted.

There's no need to complicate things. You said it's possible that we'll go up this season. I said it wasn't and offered £100 to a charity of your choice if I'm wrong, if you'll do the same for me. You bottled it like the others. End of story.

It's possible that man will discover life on another planet but I wouldn't be putting money on it. If you bet on everything that wasn't an impossibility, you would soon be very poor.

Right, your prediction is that we will NEVER get promoted. You also see no hope of change in the set-up of the club so I will take that as an absolute, and if our luck where to change it would be against your expectations so I'm giving you nothing for that. Can you see why I'm not keen on an evens bet that we will go from a mid-table position at present to get promoted in this particular season, something which is possible but on bookies odds not that likely, and which I said was possible rather than probable, betting against someone who believes that won't happen until the end of time? For you not to offer me odds on this season alone shows your own lack of conviction.

Here's my offer. £25/50 each now and on the opening day of each season into a fund or pot of money. It fructifies and gains interest until we go up or go down, at which point the "winners" charity gets half and the losers is his/hers to dispose of as they will. You can only possibly lose if Oldham are successful in spite of your somewhat frequently stated predictions, which I do actually believe would make you happy (us going up I mean), and you seem fairly sure that the owners can control things to keep us stable at the current level. For the record, I have no inside knowledge of any said plans although I do trust who I trust. I really do feel that on your terms I am offering you a no-brainer.

Deal? I will nominate McMillan Nurses should I win, as they looked after my Aunt very well through a terrible time a couple of years ago.

Edited by leeslover

I think my fear is we fall into the trap of having a 12,000 stadium.. We get promoted and we hit 12,000 every week straight away... Due to the cost of having to expand the sqaud there is not enough left to expand. Trapping us...

I suppose we would seek a loan in that instance..if that was possible....

If we fill 12000 every week, then the owners who ever they be would extend the capacity. The extra revenue would take care of the expansion costs. 4000 seats over 23 games at £18 is just under £1.7 million. Given our current average is just over 5000, the extra turn over for a full stadium would be approx. £2.5 million on gate receipts alone.

Edited by footy68

Right, your prediction is that we will NEVER get promoted. You also see no hope of change in the set-up of the club so I will take that as an absolute, and if our luck where to change it would be against your expectations so I'm giving you nothing for that. Can you see why I'm not keen on an evens bet that we will go from a mid-table position at present to get promoted in this particular season, something which is possible but on bookies odds not that likely, and which I said was possible rather than probable, betting against someone who believes that won't happen until the end of time? For you not to offer me odds on this season alone shows your own lack of conviction.

Here's my offer. £25/50 each now and on the opening day of each season into a fund or pot of money. It fructifies and gains interest until we go up or go down, at which point the "winners" charity gets half and the losers is his/hers to dispose of as they will. You can only possibly lose if Oldham are successful in spite of your somewhat frequently stated predictions, which I do actually believe would make you happy (us going up I mean), and you seem fairly sure that the owners can control things to keep us stable at the current level. For the record, I have no inside knowledge of any said plans although I do trust who I trust. I really do feel that on your terms I am offering you a no-brainer.

Deal? I will nominate McMillan Nurses should I win, as they looked after my Aunt very well through a terrible time a couple of years ago.

My prediction, yes, is that we will never be promoted under the current set-up, which includes in the present guise, at Failsworth, or at a ground share with Rochdale, Bury, or whomever, which is what I've consistently argued for some time. We will not be able to afford the quality it would take. If very significant investment in the team and in the club infrastructure came along then my view would, of course, alter.

I don't blame you for not taking up the bet, but if I remember correctly, it came about because you were arguing that promotion this season wasn't an impossibility, whereas I said it was. That was the basis of the challenge.