rangers and celtic in the english premier league (pt28)

If they MUST, they can start in the North West/East Counties and work their way up like everyone else. If any neighbouring country's team has a right to join the league due to lack of competitive opposition...it's Lyon. And that's hardly going to happen.

Garside just trying to consolidate Bolton's position for when they inevitably get relegated in the next few years.

What would happen if Benfica and Porto say "This Portuguese league is crap....lets go and play in Spain"?

Or Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord said "This Dutch league isn't big enough. I think we should play in Germany"?

Then I would think FIFA and UEFA would ban all teams from those countries from their competitions. As they would England, Scotland, Man Utd, Rangers, Liverpool, Oldham, etc.

What would happen if Benfica and Porto say "This Portuguese league is crap....lets go and play in Spain"?

Or Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord said "This Dutch league isn't big enough. I think we should play in Germany"?

i think that could happen if rangers and celtic have their way.

the floodgates will open and the damage will commence.

Then I would think FIFA and UEFA would ban all teams from those countries from their competitions. As they would England, Scotland, Man Utd, Rangers, Liverpool, Oldham, etc.

i'm definitely sure this won't happen because of your point, the FA have way too much to lose.

unless they became billy big bollocks with someone like sky sports, then tried to form some breakaway european league.

More interesting is the creation a two-tier premier league, which we have to be part of if we're going to survive.

Not a chance. We'll end up part of the new amateur structure beneath that, fighting it out with Altrincham and Accrington.

On the subject of bringing the Old Firm in, it would need the neanderthals that support them to drag themselves out of the dark ages and quit their bigotry. And while I could see Rangers fans loving it, seeing as they basically want to be English anyway, I can't see it going down awfully well with the Celtic fans...

Edited by garcon

Basically, it's not our fault that Scottish football is crap.

They are Scottish. They should deal with it.

I agree.

Funny how Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham never seem to get mentioned in this.

(Or Gretna, for that matter.)

It has crossed my mind that Cardiff's potential promotion to the English Premier League might possibly bring that into focus.

after some research...

"There wasn't a professional football league in Wales at the time each club was founded, so they decided to join the closest one that was in existence. They're not the only Welsh clubs to play in the English league system: Wrexham and Newport Country have played in the Football League, and Merthyr Tydfil have reached the highest level in the non-league pyramid. The only downside to their participation in the English League is that they're not allowed to compete in the Welsh Cup, and so cannot qualify for Europe via that route. "

I'm aware of the history - I've argued this point on numerous occasions - but I still can't think of a good reason why they didn't bugger off when a professional league was set up; or at least set one up themselves in the first place.

I reckon that'll happen with or without the Scottish...

Agreed.

A decade or so from now there will be 38, maybe 40 fully professional clubs in a two division English Premier League. Below that there will be a semi-professional 'Football League', probably comprising what is now League One, League Two, Blue Square Premier & North/South.

To appease the fans, there will be a notional system of promotion/relegation to/from the lower division of the new Premier League, probably one up one down, but I'll bet there are strict stipulations on stadium facilities and a 'golden share' deposit requirement that will effectively rule out promotion for the vast majority of clubs in the 'Football League', much as happened for a while between the League and the Conference.

The Failsworth project places us firmly and irrevocably in the ranks of those clubs that will form the semi-professional 'Football League'.

Edited by garcon

Not a chance. We'll end up part of the new amateur structure beneath that, fighting it out with Altrincham and Accrington.

On the subject of bringing the Old Firm in, it would need the neanderthals that support them to drag themselves out of the dark ages and quit their bigotry. And while I could see Rangers fans loving it, seeing as they basically want to be English anyway, I can't see it going down awfully well with the Celtic fans...

Not sure where you get that idea from, loads of Celtic fans have an interest in a (n English) Premiership team and would love to be playing Liverpool, the Redd Soxx, Arsenal etc. I don’t think it will happen though.

Not sure where you get that idea from, loads of Celtic fans have an interest in a (n English) Premiership team and would love to be playing Liverpool, the Redd Soxx, Arsenal etc. I don’t think it will happen though.

Fair enough. I can see that those who can look at it in pure football terms and leave the politics out of it (hopefully a majority these days) would be in favour.

Fair enough. I can see that those who can look at it in pure football terms and leave the politics out of it (hopefully a majority these days) would be in favour.

There are plenty of Rangers fans who vote SNP, and there may have been a hint of anti-English sentiment in them choosing to smash Manchester up and :censored: in the street like dogs. I’m not saying that there wouldn’t be some matches that might get a bit lively with Celtic as well like, their first visit to Stoke would be a good one for police overtime.

I wouldn't have a problem if they start at the lowest level but if they are fast tracked then that is bang out of order and would be mightly p*ssed off if they sre put in a higher division than us because there 'big clubs'

Oh and LL do you not think Celtic would be able to compete in the prem? :tongue1: