Marketing the club ourselves?

There is a lot of discussion about how the club makes no effort to market itself so how about we try and take matters into our own hands?!

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we as fans could do to promote the club?

Spurred on by having to read lots of marketing journals today I have been racking my brain for ideas!

Maybe we as the regular muppets that turn up week in week out could designate a game next year where we all pay for one person we know (or maybe even some one we dont:) who has never been to Latics before to get in! Maybe you take your kids and you could take one of their friends as well! I know people will say its expensive, but if we plan far enough in advance you could just put £2 a side each week for 10 weeks and pay for an adult to get in! If there was enough interest maybe see if the club would give reduced ticket prices anyway! The scheme could even record a few personal details such as name/email/postal addresses etc, which can be used by the club to direct market to in the future.

Do we have any joiners or painters out there? I often see on here talk on how we dont even have a board at the top of sheepfoot lane advertising our games, maybe some one could knock one up? Maybe the club could make a donation to the hospital each year and we could put it up on there land. Im sure we could fit it in somewhere.

These a just 2 suggestions off the top of my head while I am in the library I am sure there is many more, which we as fans could implement without having to go through the club. We have a big community on here. Probably the biggest community of Latics fans away from the club on match days no doubt? Maybe we could harness our collective power to do some good for the club.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of discussion about how the club makes no effort to market itself so how about we try and take matters into our own hands?!

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we as fans could do to promote the club?

Spurred on by having to read lots of marketing journals today I have been racking my brain for ideas!

Maybe we as the regular muppets that turn up week in week out could designate a game next year where we all pay for one person we know (or maybe even some one we dont:) who has never been to Latics before to get in! Maybe you take your kids and you could take one of their friends as well! I know people will say its expensive, but if we plan far enough in advance you could just put £2 a side each week for 10 weeks and pay for an adult to get in! If there was enough interest maybe see if the club would give reduced ticket prices anyway! The scheme could even record a few personal details such as name/email/postal addresses etc, which can be used by the club to direct market to in the future.

Do we have any joiners or painters out there? I often see on here talk on how we dont even have a board at the top of sheepfoot lane advertising our games, maybe some one could knock one up? Maybe the club could make a donation to the hospital each year and we could put it up on there land. Im sure we could fit it in somewhere.

These a just 2 suggestions off the top of my head while I am in the library I am sure there is many more, which we as fans could implement without having to go through the club. We have a big community on here. Probably the biggest community of Latics fans away from the club on match days no doubt? Maybe we could harness our collective power to do some good for the club.

Get the press involved too, highlight what we have been forced into for the good of our club - no one else is clearly interested in a dedicated marketing strategy, who knows we may force people to take their fingers out of their arses. I'm not wanting to sound negative Wozz and I think it's a great idea but Why the hell, should we have to do this? When the club allegedly employ people to supposedly do this, then there's the Trust that a couple of individuals aside could work far harder and more collectively on this sort of thing than they do at present.

Get the press involved too, highlight what we have been forced into for the good of our club - no one else is clearly interested in a dedicated marketing strategy, who knows we may force people to take their fingers out of their arses. I'm not wanting to sound negative Wozz and I think it's a great idea but Why the hell, should we have to do this? When the club allegedly employ people to supposedly do this, then there's the Trust that a couple of individuals aside could work far harder and more collectively on this sort of thing than they do at present.

its in TTA interests to market "their" club..its their outlay,their money they need to protect and build.

why should the customer do that for them????

word of mouth to everyone"how great the football is"?..pah...they would never talk to you again.

if they aren't bothered apart from cashing in,we are deep in it.

they look to me not interested, because their isn't a marketing strategy anyway...so why should we help them??

when they go, im VERY sure the next owners will rectify this.

until then.....

its in TTA interests to market "their" club..its their outlay,their money they need to protect and build.

word of mouth to everyone"how great the football is"?..pah...they would never talk to you again.

they look to me not interested, because their isn't a marketing strategy anyway...so why should we help them??

until then.....

IMHO!!! that is all they are interested in, I hope I am proven to be wrong but my gut feeling says that I'm not.

until then.....

Someone may be surpised then sometime in the very near future :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

Guest sheridans_world
There is a lot of discussion ... some good for the club.

Nice idea in a land of fairy-tales...

oh..so why only NOW!????

what about the last 4 bloody years?????

Does it matter? If Harry is right, something is being done about it now.

Whatever happens, the last four years cannot be un-done...

Great idea Wozz, I put on another thread that we as fans need to help save our club and finally somebody has come up with some ideas.

until then.....

I'd like to think of it as "our" club really, as we were here before and I suspect long after TTA.

As I said on the other thread we should help them if we want to save our club and not let it disappear. And I bet you love it when customers of your business say good things and promote what you do, why can't we do the same about Latics? (Agreed there is a risk that whoever we preach to won't ever speak to us again :grin: )

isnt there a billboard at the top of sheepfoot lane? maybe im wrong but if there is then maybe the club should enquire about using that, or another advertising space in oldham as a way of getting a wider fanbase.

i doubt any of these suggestions, great as they are, will happen. people just dont seem to care of be bothered these days. im all for people trying though and i would help

Often try to persuade lapsed latics fan mates to return, and last season a mate came with me to the Huddersfield 1-1 home draw. He hadn't been for years but the reaction was - same old crap. That is what the faithful are up against, try as we might. It is a noble idea, but ultimately it is a winning team playing decent footy that brings in the crowds.

Harry's cryptic message is interesting though. Please the God of footy there is some positive good news on the way

too late...damage done.

a quick 6 months marketing ploy in conjunction with their planned exit?

sceptical..me?

Maybe that's one reason a marketing strategy could be developed away from the club so it continues in some form whoever is in charge? Marketing works best when it is consistent and an ongoing process, so I agree a token gesture before they leave would be a bit lame. If the marketing efforts are to be stepped up there needs to be pressure on whoever takes over the club to keep up this activity in the future.

As for one of my original ideas would anyone be interested in paying for someone who has never been to go to the Norwich game at the end of February? I pledge I will try my uppermost to not only bring a new person myself but to also pressure everyone I go with to do the same! Norwich should be a decent game/fairly good atmosphere and wont sell out, but if people were interested in taking this idea on it could be changed etc.

Maybe that's one reason a marketing strategy could be developed away from the club so it continues in some form whoever is in charge? Marketing works best when it is consistent and an ongoing process, so I agree a token gesture before they leave would be a bit lame. If the marketing efforts are to be stepped up there needs to be pressure on whoever takes over the club to keep up this activity in the future.

As for one of my original ideas would anyone be interested in paying for someone who has never been to go to the Norwich game at the end of February? I pledge I will try my uppermost to not only bring a new person myself but to also pressure everyone I go with to do the same! Norwich should be a decent game/fairly good atmosphere and wont sell out, but if people were interested in taking this idea on it could be changed etc.

Wozz as Prozac said, there are people employed to market the club. Norwich will automatically attract a higher gate anyway purely because of 'Norwich'.

isnt there a billboard at the top of sheepfoot lane? maybe im wrong but if there is then maybe the club should enquire about using that, or another advertising space in oldham as a way of getting a wider fanbase.

i doubt any of these suggestions, great as they are, will happen. people just dont seem to care of be bothered these days. im all for people trying though and i would help

Yeah I think your spot on about the billboard. It would be interesting to find out the cost of taking over that advertising space. My experience is in digital media so could not really hazard a guess at how expensive billboards are.

I too would be willing to get involved with marketing schemes if there was enough interest and enough people willing to help to get them off the ground.

Wozz as Prozac said, there are people employed to market the club. Norwich will automatically attract a higher gate anyway purely because of 'Norwich'.

The reason I said Norwich is because the club always puts its efforts into marketing games where they know not many people will turn up. I understand why they do this as they will see a good ROI.

The type of games usually used for promotions are not going to get people wanting to come back. Like you say the Norwich game will automatically attract a higher gate and hopefully a better atmosphere and better game of football against a good team. These are the things which will (if anything) be more likely to bring people back again if they are coming to their first game and get kids interested esepcially, not cold tueday night games against teams like Leyton Orient for example.

Yeah I think your spot on about the billboard. It would be interesting to find out the cost of taking over that advertising space. My experience is in digital media so could not really hazard a guess at how expensive billboards are.

I too would be willing to get involved with marketing schemes if there was enough interest and enough people willing to help to get them off the ground.

Can we have a scoreboard in the vacant Lookers area for Christmas please, it would pay it's way in advertising ?

http://www.marketingminefield.co.uk/outdoo...sing/costs.html

Just some info on billboard advertising, I think price can depend on the location of the advertisement. But if there was anyway I could get involved by donating a few quid to the cause I would be happy too(maybe we could do a collection at a game). Also I don't think the Advert in the Chron or the Advertiser is good enough, has the club ever sent leaflets out to houses in the borough? surely this would reach more people as from what I know not that many people bother with the local press.