alex marrow

Just found out :censored: played for ashton last year and then wondered, how come no scouts spotted someone with his talent get missed right underneath our noses? have we got any scouts?

I wouldnt mind but were we playing some reserve matches there last year?

Competition time:-

Question. £3m in the red, colbeck£60k,:censored: nowt. Can you spot any problems, who would you have?

Answers on a postcard.

Just found out :censored: played for ashton last year and then wondered, how come no scouts spotted someone with his talent get missed right underneath our noses? have we got any scouts?

Question. £3m in the red, colbeck£60k,:censored: nowt. Can you spot any problems, who would you have?

Answers on a postcard.

Totally agree with the :censored: comment, how did our scouts not spot him? And how many more have we missed or will continue to miss?

Answers on a postcard.

Totally agree mate, however the really worrying thing is it wasnt even a scout we can blame for Colbeck........... it was our trusted manager who had seen his elecric displays in the past and was so enthralled that at a time we have no cash he thought he would break the bank for the bargain of the season :wink:

Having worked in the game I can tell you some scouts dismiss young players from non league as they cannot see their potential and think there must be something wrong if they are playing at that level.

I always took the view they can be keen and hungry if given a second chance, of course some don't make it, but if you never give them a go you will never know.

It is well documented if working for Latics I would give a trial to Droylsden's Shaun Whalley, he may or may not be good enough, but at least let's find out by having look at him alongside full time players.

BTW, If I were a Premiership club scout who would I recommend ?.. well it has to be young Latics centre forward Tom Eaves, he has vast potential and IMO if he continues to work hard he could eventually play at the top level and gain International honours - he has that much going for him.

Mind you, I thought Lewis Allessandra would make it to to a higher level, so what do I know :(

Edited by BP1960

Having worked in the game I can tell you some scouts dismiss young players from non league as they cannot see their potential and think there must be something wrong if they are playing at that level.

I always took the view they can be keen and hungry if given a second chance, of course some don't make it, but if you never give them a go you will never know.

It is well documented if working for Latics I would give a trial to Droylsden's Shaun Whalley, he may or may not be good enough, but at least let's find out by having look at him alongside full time players.

BTW, If I were a Premiership club scout who would I recommend ?.. well it has to be young Latics centre forward Tom Eaves, he has vast potential and IMO if he continues to work hard he could eventually play at the top level and gain International honours - he has that much going for him.

Mind you, I thought Lewis Allessandra would make it to to a higher level, so what do I know :(

ssssssssssssssh :petesake:

Youre totally right. What can you lose by giving someone a trial at least?

Classic case was Fitz Hall, feck knows what it was like watching him at that level because he coasted through the league, recomended by Dowies brother or something, wasnt a scout for sure.

IMO I dont reckon we have any scouts or any workable scouting system.

Edited by yarddog

Youre totally right. What can you lose by giving someone a trial at least? Classic case was Fitz Hall, feck knows what it was like watching him at that level because he coasted through the league, playing non league, recomended by Dowies brother or something, wasnt a scout for sure.

There is nothing to lose by giving someone a trial. Spot on.

However...it may be that a player doesn't want a trial. Let's not assume (I'm not suggesting you personally are) that Latics, or other local league clubs, haven't approached local non-league players. In the case of the lad from Droylsden if he is good then it seems strange that he hasn't been trialled at Dale or Bury or Stockport or Crewe or Latics. Maybe because he doesn't want to step up. Lots of non-leaguers are earning from both football and another job , earning far more than they'd pick up from a lower league club in their first contract.

Youre totally right. What can you lose by giving someone a trial at least?

Classic case was Fitz Hall, feck knows what it was like watching him at that level because he coasted through the league, recomended by Dowies brother or something, wasnt a scout for sure.

It is true it was his brother but he was a scout.

We do have scouts.

We have a reasonable track record with Youths, that is getting better.

There are plenty of posts on here,e ven this thread, praising the likes of Tom Eaves, Ryan Brroke, Deane Smalley, Djenmy, etc. Crikey Tom Eaves is in the youths and well respected people on here are saying give hime a try in the first team!

Why let the facts get in the way of a good moan!!!

But for every Fitz Hall there are 100,000 that do not make it.

We don't know what trials have been given, they do many each week I suspect.