Classic memories

may do a series of these...

On from Saturday, I hope that the fact we destroyed (albeit against 10 men) a decent Colchester side - I'd like to think we have gained more than a point, more of a turning point in our season. So I am going to reminisce over what I believe to have been past turning points in our seasons...

December 5th 1987 Dean Court - Bournemouth 2 Latics 2

The club had experienced an awful hangover from the Play Offs defeat to Leeds the previous season. Early in the campaign we had lost Andy Goram to Hibs and new signing Glenn Keeley had been awful up to then at the heart of the defence, with new striker Andy Ritchie spending a large chunk of the early season out injured and when he was fit he was appearing in a goal shy team. Latics had scored freely in the league Cup, scoring 14 goals in 5 games but the league form had been depressing with a total of 4 wins up to the trip to Dean Court and the last win had been a 3-2 fightback at Gey Meadow six weeks before, where a second half Roger Palmer Hat-trick had secured the points.

The week before the trip to the south coast we had been expected to sign West Brom's former Watford target man - George Reilly - the deal for the vetarn had fell through at the 11th hour. Instead Joe Royle turned his attention to Hull's Frank Bunn, the deal being concluded within a matter of hours for £70,000. Bunn's signing saw him added to an Athletic squad which had seen the recent arrivals of midfielder John Kelly and young defender Earl Barrett from Swindon Town and Manchester City, for £35,000 each. The new arrivals were needed, with a lengthening injury list which included fractured cheek-bone victim Willie Donachie. The previous 5 league games had seen only 1 goal scored in a 2-1 home defeat to Birmingham on Hallowe'en and Latics were seriously beginning to flirt with the relegation places.

So on to Bournemouth, Latics took an early lead through Tommy Wright, but with time getting on the team were 2-1 down - enter the new striker, Bunn had a promising debut that culminated in him winning the late penalty despatched by Tony Henry which secured a much needed point. Bunn scored in his second game three days later at Stoke in another 2-2 draw. Suddenly the goals had returned and a team that had struggled to hit the net all season were further boosted by the return to fitness and form of Andy Ritchie, who helped form a lethal three-pronged attack with Bunn and Wright and ably supported by Roger Palmer.

Prior to Bunn's arrival the League stats were

P 19 W 4 D 4 L 11 F 14 A 27 Pts 16

From the draw on December 5th at Dean Court the stats for the rest of season in the League were

P 25 W 14 D 7 L 4 F 58 A 36 Pts 49

* We only played 44 League games that season

Edited by oafcprozac

Was clearing my dads atic last month and found a box with all the chron MEN etc match reports + loads of home and away programmes fron mid 87 through to 1995 was lovely to sit with my kids and go through it all great for them as it let them see that latics could be good great for me as it reafirmed why iam a fan till i die the big memorie for me trickie rickies goal v west ham st valentines day that was when i knew i was going to wembley !

I'm pretty sure the latter part of that season saw us beat Blackburn 4-2 at BP on good Friday, and Aston Villa away on Easter Monday 2-1, Bunn scoring both, the second in the last minute, Villa's team that day included David Platt and Tony Daley( Dennis Irwin had him in his back pocket). :grin:

I'm pretty sure the latter part of that season saw us beat Blackburn 4-2 at BP on good Friday, and Aston Villa away on Easter Monday 2-1, Bunn scoring both, the second in the last minute, Villa's team that day included David Platt and Tony Daley( Dennis Irwin had him in his back pocket). :grin:

We did mate and the following Saturday destroyed Stoke City 5-1 at BP, who had a young Lee Dixon in their team...

may do a series of these...

On from Saturday, I hope that the fact we destroyed (albeit against 10 men) a decent Colchester side - I'd like to think we have gained more than a point, more of a turning point in our season. So I am going to reminisce over what I believe to have been past turning points in our seasons...

December 5th 1987 Dean Court - Bournemouth 2 Latics 2

The club had experienced an awful hangover from the Play Offs defeat to Leeds the previous season. Early in the campaign we had lost Andy Goram to Hibs and new signing Glenn Keeley had been awful up to then at the heart of the defence, with new striker Andy Ritchie spending a large chunk of the early season out injured and when he was fit he was appearing in a goal shy team. Latics had scored freely in the league Cup, scoring 14 goals in 5 games but the league form had been depressing with a total of 4 wins up to the trip to Dean Court and the last win had been a 3-2 fightback at Gey Meadow six weeks before, where a second half Roger Palmer Hat-trick had secured the points.

The week before the trip to the south coast we had been expected to sign West Brom's former Watford target man - George Reilly - the deal for the vetarn had fell through at the 11th hour. Instead Joe Royle turned his attention to Hull's Frank Bunn, the deal being concluded within a matter of hours for £70,000. Bunn's signing saw him added to an Athletic squad which had seen the recent arrivals of midfielder John Kelly and young defender Earl Barrett from Swindon Town and Manchester City, for £35,000 each. The new arrivals were needed, with a lengthening injury list which included fractured cheek-bone victim Willie Donachie. The previous 5 league games had seen only 1 goal scored in a 2-1 home defeat to Birmingham on Hallowe'en and Latics were seriously beginning to flirt with the relegation places.

So on to Bournemouth, Latics took an early lead through Tommy Wright, but with time getting on the team were 2-1 down - enter the new striker, Bunn had a promising debut that culminated in him winning the late penalty despatched by Tony Henry which secured a much needed point. Bunn scored in his second game three days later at Stoke in another 2-2 draw. Suddenly the goals had returned and a team that had struggled to hit the net all season were further boosted by the return to fitness and form of Andy Ritchie, who helped form a lethal three-pronged attack with Bunn and Wright and ably supported by Roger Palmer.

Prior to Bunn's arrival the League stats were

P 19 W 4 D 4 L 11 F 14 A 27 Pts 16

From the draw on December 5th at Dean Court the stats for the rest of season in the League were

P 25 W 14 D 7 L 4 F 58 A 36 Pts 49

* We only played 44 League games that season

Great idea prozac....a rewind series of who we played.......on this day in history kinda thing......just don't over-stretch yourself doing it now...

.... with a hat-trick for youth product Mike Cecere :wink:

Great idea prozac....a rewind series of who we played.......on this day in history kinda thing......just don't over-stretch yourself doing it now...

Thats why I started that thread about the Arsenal game. The future is a little uncertain at the moment and sometimes you have to look back and remember why your a Latics fan in the first place. Reminising about the past is great ofcourse we can't live in the past but sometimes looking back to better times can give you hope for the future plus it makes a change from all the "we're all going to die in Failsworth" threads.

year before on the final day mate(May 9th 1987) in a 3-0 win, think he was a second-half sub as well! The 4-2 scorers were dominated by Palmer, Ritchie and Bunn.

Yes quite correct, I remember now :grin:

I also remember the headline in the newspaper after Bunn's goals in the win at Villa Park "Bunny's Easter Special" :grin:

February 1993, two all draw at Goodison.

Before that game we were looking pretty much dead and burried having lost 8 of our previous 9 games and when we went two down (one of them followed a stamping on Craig Flemming I think), you'd have got long odds on us taking anything. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I think Neil adams scored both as we took a point and almost won the game.

We beat United at Boundary Park 3 days later and went on a great run only losing another two games all season, culminating in the three 'Great Escape' games against Villa, Liverpool and Southampton.

February 1993, two all draw at Goodison.

Before that game we were looking pretty much dead and burried having lost 8 of our previous 9 games and when we went two down (one of them followed a stamping on Craig Flemming I think), you'd have got long odds on us taking anything. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I think Neil adams scored both as we took a point and almost won the game.

We beat United at Boundary Park 3 days later and went on a great run only losing another two games all season, culminating in the three 'Great Escape' games against Villa, Liverpool and Southampton.

We were 2-0 down mate with 3 minutes to go, Adams did score two, one with a penalty, the other a far-post volley with virtually the last kick of the game. As you say a real turning point.

We were 2-0 down mate with 3 minutes to go, Adams did score two, one with a penalty, the other a far-post volley with virtually the last kick of the game. As you say a real turning point.

Will never forget it, we were absolutley shocking for 87 minutes. 5 of us went in the car and left with a few minutes to go at 2 nil down. We had parked not too far from the away end on a street somewhere and I was disgusted to hear 2 big chears thinking we had gone 3 nil and then 4 nil down until we got in the car and heard it on the radio......... :angry: ........... story of my feckin life :lol:

Will never forget it, we were absolutley shocking for 87 minutes. 5 of us went in the car and left with a few minutes to go at 2 nil down. We had parked not too far from the away end on a street somewhere and I was disgusted to hear 2 big chears thinking we had gone 3 nil and then 4 nil down until we got in the car and heard it on the radio......... :angry: ........... story of my feckin life :lol:

Thats Latics for yer