Boundary Blues

We're doing a bit of research on Boundary Blues and what supporters are aware of.

How many people here know what you get for being a member, what the benefits are etc?

Do you know how much membership is?

Are you aware that you can buy a membership without a season ticket and still receive all the benefits of being a member?

How can we publicise events more? We use OWTB, official web site, Chronicle, posters in the shop and around the ground but what else can we do?

Thanks

Lisa

We're doing a bit of research on Boundary Blues and what supporters are aware of.

How many people here know what you get for being a member, what the benefits are etc?

Are you aware that you can buy a membership without a season ticket and still receive all the benefits of being a member?

How can we publicise events more? We use OWTB, official web site, Chronicle, posters in the shop and around the ground but what else can we do?

Thanks

Lisa

wheres the info on here?

how much is membership?

what is minimum age?

Thanks

Lisa

Emails to members - past and present? Own website ?

In answer to your other questions I know all about it :)

Edited by oafc0000

I'd suggest putting a tag line on the BB page in the programme - summat like "you could be mascot like Little Jonny, join BB's for only £10 today and recieve a free gift etc... or for £50 you get a season ticket as well - summat like that.

Maybe offer a discount to sibligs - £10 first membership, £7.50 next, £5, £2.50 and Catholics get the 5th kids free - summat like that! :wink: Only joking and I know I'll burn in hell!

Edited by oafcprozac

I'd suggest putting a tag line on the BB page in the programme - summat like "you could be mascot like Little Jonny, join BB's for only £10 today and recieve a free gift etc... or for £50 you get a season ticket as well - summat like that.

Maybe offer a discount to sibligs - £10 first membership, £7.50 next, £5, £2.50 and Catholics get the 5th kids free - summat like that! :wink: Only joking and I know I'll burn in hell!

:lol:

How about marketing at the local schools ?

Guest sheridans_world

Not having kids myself, the only thing I know about BB is what I remember and that is only that they have the room in the lookers. Oh, wait...

Is there a replacement room? Do you still do the christmas parties?

Otherwise I dont look out for it...

Thanks

Lisa

Since the lounge went in the old Broadway stand the junior blues appear to have disappeared with it ??

No advertising or publicity even on the web site.

I looked to see about my son joining without the season ticket -

No info whatsoever.

Kids today are tomorrows season ticket holders and a lot more should be done to promote it.

Edited by losesome

How about marketing at the local schools ?

Was gonna suggest that, and I know you work tirelessly for BB's Lisa, but I thought perhaps the 'gift' this year was a bit poor. Previous seasons it has been much better. Has the funding been cut? Personally I'd go with the option of 3 years ago, badge, key-ring, cheap pen, pencil, maybe throw in a mouse mat and a team poster and a cheap swim-bag?

The thinking behind it is that the kids are subliminally brain-washed.

Wake up in the morning - First thing they see is a Latics Poster

Put their coat on - Oh there's my Latics badge

Get their pen and pencil out at school - Latics!

Swim Bag, pump bag - Go to change their pumps at break/Play time - put their pumps into their latics bag

Can I do my homework? Yep, oh look a Latics mouse mat!

Hammered from every angle = new generation of Latics fans!

Was gonna suggest that, and I know you work tirelessly for BB's Lisa, but I thought perhaps the 'gift' this year was a bit poor. Previous seasons it has been much better. Has the funding been cut? Personally I'd go with the option of 3 years ago, badge, key-ring, cheap pen, pencil, maybe throw in a mouse mat and a team poster and a cheap swim-bag?

The thinking behind it is that the kids are subliminally brain-washed.

Wake up in the morning - First thing they see is a Latics Poster

Put their coat on - Oh there's my Latics badge

Get their pen and pencil out at school - Latics!

Swim Bag, pump bag - Go to change their pumps at break/Play time - put their pumps into their latics bag

Can I do my homework? Yep, oh look a Latics mouse mat!

Hammered from every angle = new generation of Latics fans!

AH gave a reasonable explanation regarding the gift...

A lot of companies are sponsoring lesson packs and such like these days. Why couldn't we do a "Count with Chaddy" lesson pack ?

The problem is, I think there is too much of a focus from the club on todays bottom line and not tomorrow...

Any sort of marketing of BB will make it a loss maker today... and people will not doubt fight against it on those short sighted grounds :( It is why I have always held the theory that kids should go free... (although BB membership is pretty dam good)

*This is in no way critical of the fine work Lisa and team does...

Edited by oafc0000

Boundary Blues is run by a team of volunteers with input from Lois at the club and Colin from the Community Trust. We receive some funding from the club but in return we sponsor a player, we also send out 3 newsletters a year, each member gets a free gift and a birthday card signed by the manager. We organise 2 parties a year, one at Christmas and one at the end of the season, we run away trips at discount prices (for example it was £48 for a member and parent to go to Brighton, coach and match ticket), kids have the chance to be a mascot at home games and selected away games plus the chance to be a ball boy. You get all that for £10.

For £50 you get all the above plus a season ticket.

You can be a member if you are between 6 and 16 years old.

We have lost a lot of income from not having the room we had in the Lookers. This used to provide us with a lot of money and from that we bought new playstations, a football table, board games, a full new kit for the ball boys and a few other things. We are currently losing money on away trips as trips to Bristol and Brighton only half sold yet we still have to pay the full price for a coach. The next away trips we run are to Stockport and Huddersfield so these should sell out.

As I say, it is run by 3 volunteers and each of us work full time as well so we need to make sure that the time we spend on Boundary Blues is worthwhile and give the fans of the future the best we can!

If we had a dedicated section of OWTB would people use it?

We would have to get parents permission to collect email addresses but it is something we have thought about.

Boundary Blues is run by a team of volunteers with input from Lois at the club and Colin from the Community Trust. We receive some funding from the club but in return we sponsor a player, we also send out 3 newsletters a year, each member gets a free gift and a birthday card signed by the manager. We organise 2 parties a year, one at Christmas and one at the end of the season, we run away trips at discount prices (for example it was £48 for a member and parent to go to Brighton, coach and match ticket), kids have the chance to be a mascot at home games and selected away games plus the chance to be a ball boy. You get all that for £10.

For £50 you get all the above plus a season ticket.

You can be a member if you are between 6 and 16 years old.

We have lost a lot of income from not having the room we had in the Lookers. This used to provide us with a lot of money and from that we bought new playstations, a football table, board games, a full new kit for the ball boys and a few other things. We are currently losing money on away trips as trips to Bristol and Brighton only half sold yet we still have to pay the full price for a coach. The next away trips we run are to Stockport and Huddersfield so these should sell out.

As I say, it is run by 3 volunteers and each of us work full time as well so we need to make sure that the time we spend on Boundary Blues is worthwhile and give the fans of the future the best we can!

If we had a dedicated section of OWTB would people use it?

We would have to get parents permission to collect email addresses but it is something we have thought about.

My boy would, he's got his own netbook now and would love to feel a little closer to the club then he is at present. I know he's chuffed as anything to be mascot at Norwich but now the lounge has gone there's not a lot to hook him in and the fact he doesn't often come to Saturday games due to our domestic situation.

What got me hooked was reading programmes and listening to Radio Manchester before I was old enough to go on my own, with Callum it's different, when he was younger Chaddy The Owl was his hook, then the lounge which closed shortly afterwards. If he felt he was being purposely catered for, (Website along with the excellent newsletter, more regular contact with fellow BB's etc..) That might increase his interest more. At present all he sees is a three-sided wind-swept dump, a team that can't score and a very depressed dad!

The old Junior Latics would hold regular meetings, I know the logistics are a nightmare, but previously these were held in The Clayton, Royton Assembly Hall and finally when things really took off in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. Couldn't a regular meeting be held in the sponsors suite? An opportunity to watch Latics goal montages, quiz a latics playing representative, Chaddy, DP - Wii or PS2/3 evenings X Box or whatever. The parties are great but I think the members need to get together more often - let the kids know there is a wealth of similar age support and the world doesn't revolve around The Premier League.

The players could be more involved, The Christmas and end of season parties should not be their only contribution.

Edited by oafcprozac

Hi Lisa

My experience was overall good, I got plenty of help and it showed what a great club we are:

But when I enrolled for my son, who is 3 next month, it was not straightfoward, so here are my suggestions, some nicked form above, some of the psots above backing up my thoughts.

~ More info on the fact there is a difference Chaddy's Gang/Boundary Blues

~ Own website

~ Be able to completely join online-I am an exile

~ Have the Chaddy Owl cuddly toy permanently. Get them conditione from birth!!! Maybe on first joining. For various reasons (not Boundary Blues fault) I have had to wait for 3 years to get a Chaddy owl cuddly toy

~ Have other options as joining/annual presents

~ Accept payment, and joing in the online shop-although I do understand lower costs for the transaction, but think that needs to be tested to make it easier

~ Videos, gallery, own section etc of Chaddy on ther section of the official website, linked from homepage

~ Downloadable outlines for colouring in of Chaddy

I can see the space being a problem for you, but it affects me as an exile less, but add space

I know it is Bondary Blues, but i think the question equally applies to Chaddy's gang

I again would also like to thank Chaddy himself for all his efforts and offers with my (small) issues to , I know you all go th extra mile

But nothing detracts from the hard work adn commitment that you need, and I know it is widely recognised and applauded.

Hi Lisa

My experience was overall good, I got plenty of help and it showed what a great club we are:

But when I enrolled for my son, who is 3 next month, it was not straightfoward, so here are my suggestions, some nicked form above, some of the psots above backing up my thoughts.

~ Own website

~ Have the Chaddy Owl cuddly toy permanently. Get them conditione from birth!!! Maybe on first joining. For various reasons (not Boundary Blues fault) I have had to wait for 3 years to get a Chaddy owl cuddly toy

~ Accept payment, and joing in the online shop-although I do understand lower costs for the transaction, but think that needs to be tested to make it easier

~ Videos, gallery, own section etc of Chaddy on ther section of the official website, linked from homepage

I can see the space being a problem for you, but it affects me as an exile less, but add space

I know it is Bondary Blues, but i think the question equally applies to Chaddy's gang

I again would also like to thank Chaddy himself for all his efforts and offers with my (small) issues to , I know you all go th extra mile

But nothing detracts from the hard work adn commitment that you need, and I know it is widely recognised and applauded.

Spot on, Silk Purse from a sow's ear springs to mind at the moment - I hope 'Marketing Guy' will get his teeth into this amogst other things...

Not sure how busy Rummy is at the moment, but surely he's the man to speak to about an all singing and dancing web-hosting for BB's?

Hi Lisa

~ Own website

I think it's important to distinguish Chaddy's Gang from Boundary Blues at present. The ladies who run BB have no input whatsoever into CG. I think the lady that ran Chaddy's Gang until recently has just retired and as I understand it, Colin (who also does a belting job for a Southend fan :wink: ) from the Community Trust will become more involved, so hopefully there will be a few less issues with CG.

I think the biggest single issue for BB at the moment is the lack of the lounge which is a massive loss. Not only has it meant there is nowhere for the kids to focus on match days, it's also meant that it's become harder for the BB staff to market the club and events etc. Thing was with the lounge, they used to get parents who would come in to drop the kids off, which gave the staff opportunity to promote stuff like the parties and away trips etc. I believe they did explore lots of options including things like a portacabin as a temporary lounge but I think cost and red tape proved prohibitive.

Why couldn't we do a "Count with Chaddy" lesson pack

I misread that and thought it was inappropriate for school children at first.

Count the Latics goals at BP competition! Shouldn't be too hard ....

Boundary Blues is great, should be more widely promoted, and a big thanks to Lisa for sorting out the mascot job for o4u junior next week. He's elated!

Edited by opinions4u

Honestly no... Your better just advertising things in this section of the forum I would suggest...

A simple A4 printed note given with each programme or something telling people -

How to join.

How much without season ticket.

When are meetings held and where

etc etc

The more kids you get the more adults and consequently more people to help

with regards fund raising etc.

People need to know it exists before something can be done to help.

I think it's important to distinguish Chaddy's Gang from Boundary Blues at present. The ladies who run BB have no input whatsoever into CG. I think the lady that ran Chaddy's Gang until recently has just retired and as I understand it, Colin (who also does a belting job for a Southend fan :wink: ) from the Community Trust will become more involved, so hopefully there will be a few less issues with CG.

I think the biggest single issue for BB at the moment is the lack of the lounge which is a massive loss. Not only has it meant there is nowhere for the kids to focus on match days, it's also meant that it's become harder for the BB staff to market the club and events etc. Thing was with the lounge, they used to get parents who would come in to drop the kids off, which gave the staff opportunity to promote stuff like the parties and away trips etc. I believe they did explore lots of options including things like a portacabin as a temporary lounge but I think cost and red tape proved prohibitive.

Thanks Dan,

I was not really aware that it was so seperate, but I know that comes from being so far away and not going week by week.

It is interesting to note, from afar, if there are things that you are duplicating, or could make easier by joining forces, but no criticism at all in that comment, just pondering out loud.

Thanks for all the suggestions, there are a couple of things we are looking at regarding space as it has been a huge problem for us. When we had the lounge, the parents could come and leave the kids whilst they went for a pint in the bar. They knew the kids would be safe, warm and occupied and it really is something we need to have again.

As for Chaddy's gang, we are hoping to work more closely together in the future, BB needs to get the kids from Chaddy's gang as soon as they are 6 but there is no harm in getting the kids into Latics at a younger age. My kids have both been coming to the games since they were born, and my 5 year old daughter might not like football but she does enjoy the whole experience of cheering, meeting Chaddy and most importantly having a pie! We also need to make it clear that you can have be a member for £10 without having the season ticket.

There is a BB page on the official website, we have our own email address boundary.blues@oldhamathletic.co.uk or you can people can always contact me on here. We try and make ourselves as available as possible, we are always around and about on matchdays but I appreciate some people don't know who we are.

We have asked about a leaflet drop in programmes or at turnstiles for games but this is not doable. It might be an option for us to hand out flyers to kids in the stands in the future, would anyone mind us doing that? The only thing is, it could create loads of waste with the kids just throwing them on the floor!!

Edited by Lisa

Thanks for all the suggestions, there are a couple of things we are looking at regarding space as it has been a huge problem for us. When we had the lounge, the parents could come and leave the kids whilst they went for a pint in the bar. They knew the kids would be safe, warm and occupied and it really is something we need to have again.

As for Chaddy's gang, we are hoping to work more closely together in the future, BB needs to get the kids from Chaddy's gang as soon as they are 6 but there is no harm in getting the kids into Latics at a younger age. My kids have both been coming to the games since they were born, and my 5 year old daughter might not like football but she does enjoy the whole experience of cheering, meeting Chaddy and most importantly having a pie! We also need to make it clear that you can have be a member for £10 without having the season ticket.

There is a BB page on the official website, we have our own email address boundary.blues@oldhamathletic.co.uk or you can people can always contact me on here. We try and make ourselves as available as possible, we are always around and about on matchdays but I appreciate some people don't know who we are.

We have asked about a leaflet drop in programmes or at turnstiles for games but this is not doable. It might be an option for us to hand out flyers to kids in the stands in the future, would anyone mind us doing that? The only thing is, it could create loads of waste with the kids just throwing them on the floor!!

I can't believe the club thinks a leaflet on the turnstiles isn't do-able Lisa, the club has been putting leaflets and all sorts of crap with the turnstile operators for years, I've got bloody hundreds of programmes with this sort of thing in! Yet again those in charge find it easier to say no than to come up with a solution. Why the frig should you have to walk round the ground having to pinpoint the kids? Absolute madness if you ask me! It was easy enough for TTA to insert a typed note by hand into each programme within 12 hours of Dowie's departure but they can't see fit to do some genuine marketing? Get on the case please 'Marketing Guy'.