Ickle Oldham

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea.../raining-points

“The Exeter game is a real six-pointer now and we have had a real tough run of games against the likes of Norwich, Leeds twice, Huddersfield, Southampton and Colchester,” said Penney after the 2-0 defeat at Norwich.

Colchester ? Huddersfield ? Can we really expect to not compete with such Giants ?

“Those teams are up there with big fan bases and big budgets."

“We haven’t disgraced ourselves and nobody has battered us. We have managed to hang in games and give ourselves a chance.

One of the comments on the page says he remembers Shez seeing these games a cup finals... I have to agree, pretty negative view points Mr Penney...

Did we even set out to get points against Leeds / Norwich or was the aim always damage limitation ?

Edited by oafc0000

Colchester ? Huddersfield ? Can we really expect to not compete with such Giants ?

One of the comments on the page says he remembers Shez seeing these games a cup finals... I have to agree, pretty negative view points Mr Penney...

Did we even set out to get points against Leeds / Norwich or was the aim always damage limitation ?

Huddersfield is actually an interesting case bearing in mind our current situation. They on the one hand set a good example of what can be acheived, they got their infrastructure sorted out in the mid 90's with the McAlpine (or Gayfarm if you prefer) when interstingly they were in the fourth tier, and have increased their fanbase ever since. (Although in the 1920's & 30's they had a big fanbase).

BUT, over 10 years since the new stadium which has a capacity of over 20,000, they have not made the Premier League and also have not established themselves in the 2nd tier either. I also wonder what their attendances would be without the cut price season tickets they have been offering?

Colchester! Get real DP, never have been, never will be bigger than Latics...... well unless we lose another 1000 of the gate at least.

Sheridan had the ability to get the team up for these so called 'big games'. We've beat most of them and not only beat them, went there and played football and played them off the park. Rather than putting everyone behind the ball and believing however many losses and fewer shots on target is 'not disgracing ourselves'.

I'm struggling to see where the points are going to come. Even Exeter have played some football this season.

Woe begone Athletic.

Huddersfield is actually an interesting case bearing in mind our current situation. They on the one hand set a good example of what can be acheived, they got their infrastructure sorted out in the mid 90's with the McAlpine (or Gayfarm if you prefer) when interstingly they were in the fourth tier, and have increased their fanbase ever since. (Although in the 1920's & 30's they had a big fanbase).

BUT, over 10 years since the new stadium which has a capacity of over 20,000, they have not made the Premier League and also have not established themselves in the 2nd tier either. I also wonder what their attendances would be without the cut price season tickets they have been offering?

Colchester! Get real DP, never have been, never will be bigger than Latics...... well unless we lose another 1000 of the gate at least.

Stunned to see that Exeter are regularly getting well over 5,000 - now that is depressing, the thought of a tiny club getting nigh on a 1,000 more than us week in week out! :ranting:

About as negative as his tactics.

I really had high hopes for DP, but he's quickly turning into Talbot MKII, all that remains is when we drop into the bottom four and for him to state "That relegation , will be for the best". It will take nothing less than us truly going for it in the remaining 26 games, to convince me me can move forward with him in charge. I can't believe it's gone tits up again, 13 games out of 23 failing to score a goal, 12 defeats in 23 and crowds dropping to sub 3,000 home fans.

I thought the last half hour against Colchester was the turning point, instead it becomes even more insipid and gutless. I hope he can turn it round, I truly do but injuries are no longer an excuse for the unwillingness to at least have a go and actually try to win a game.

I ignored the alarm bells of 11 men behind the ball at Charlton, unfortunately since then the tactics have become increasingly negative and so much so since the MK Dons game at the end of September we have scored 5 goals in 11 games and failed to score in 8 of those 11.

and failed to score in 8 of those 11.

I have not seen the games this season but that is just not acceptable... Injuries or not...

Joe Royle said the players at the club where simply not good enough... Quite of few of them are here still...

I thought the people who wanted Shez out quick was pushing the fact a new manager would have all pre-season to build a fresh new team. :petesake:

I will keep saying it, you judge a manager just as much on his weakest 11 as you do his strongest...

Edited by oafc0000

I really had high hopes for DP, but he's quickly turning into Talbot MKII, all that remains is when we drop into the bottom four and for him to state "That relegation , will be for the best". It will take nothing less than us truly going for it in the remaining 26 games, to convince me me can move forward with him in charge. I can't believe it's gone tits up again, 13 games out of 23 failing to score a goal, 12 defeats in 23 and crowds dropping to sub 3,000 home fans.

I thought the last half hour against Colchester was the turning point, instead it becomes even more insipid and gutless. I hope he can turn it round, I truly do but injuries are no longer an excuse for the unwillingness to at least have a go and actually try to win a game.

I ignored the alarm bells of 11 men behind the ball at Charlton, unfortunately since then the tactics have become increasingly negative and so much so since the MK Dons game at the end of September we have scored 5 goals in 11 games and failed to score in 8 of those 11.

You could put up with defeats if slow progress was being made but it isn't......if anything the situations getting worse. I wouldn't want to travel 200 miles to Norwich to see us try and hold on to the point we started with and it's an insult to the travelling fans.

I would like nothing more than to see Penney turn things round in the second half of the season but unfortunately, I just can't see it happening!

Obviously Injuries have had an effect on team selection but the squad should be good enough to compete in this division, god knows we've had enough experience!

The next month will determine whether we are to be a mid table side or one that will be fighting to avoid relegation and if it's the latter I think Penney could well be gone come January!!!

Such a defeatest attitude....how much respect are we giving these teams?? May as well pack up and go home....They are in our league for a reason because they weren't good enough for the championship. Yes they have money and spend big but Leeds have for the last 3 years and it hasn't got them anywhere...

We should treat each game as a cup final if odds are so against us not bow down and accept defeat before a whistle is even blown. This can't be bothered to put in a shift attitude is why the fans cant motivate themselves to turn up because they know we are gonna roll over and go out without even a whimper.

Come on mate Hudds have spent :censored: loads of cash and Colchester have been in the Championship for a couple of seasons recently, I would expect them to now have a similar budget and fanbase to ours now.

If you were using Colchester as a yardstick to show how badly this club has been mismanaged since the early 90s I would be right behind you but to use it against the current regime is way off the mark IMO.

Bit harsh, The league table suggests that that was a tough set of games.

Tough yes but to write them off as unlikely to get anything from them what is the point in the first place with that attitude?? They aren't United, barcelona or Real Madrid and to come out of all 3 games without mustering a goal and not having much control over a game (granted colchester when they went a man down)...

Should we just give the top 6 teams 6 points because they are financially better off than us? What has stopped us beating these teams in the past..?

Come on mate Hudds have spent :censored: loads of cash and Colchester have been in the Championship for a couple of seasons recently, I would expect them to now have a similar budget and fanbase to ours now.

If you were using Colchester as a yardstick to show how badly this club has been mismanaged since the early 90s I would be right behind you but to use it against the current regime is way off the mark IMO.

It is what is... You said yourself... Colchester similar budget, similar crowd... How many places separate us ?

Its the negative attitude I am calling foul on... Being ok with not beating sides we have no place beating (it would seem).. I expect us to relish playing Leeds and Hudds and fight for a result... I get the impression Penney was "ok" with the performance... I doubt many of are fans are "ok" with it...

I haven't seen Penneys side yet to stand in support for or against him... I can call into question league position, results and comments in the media though.

Edited by oafc0000

It is what is... You said yourself... Colchester similar budget, similar crowd... How many places separate us ?

Its the negative attitude I am calling foul on... Being ok with not beating sides we have no place beating (it would seem).. I expect us to relish playing Leeds and Hudds and fight for a result... I get the impression Penney was "ok" with the performance... I doubt many of are fans are "ok" with it...

I haven't seen Penneys side yet to stand in support for or against him... I can call into question league position, results and comments in the media though.

Like we did the last three seasons and, more often than not, got a result too.

I was one of the biggest "Sheridan Outers" around last year. I got my wish and have been shown that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. A clear example of being careful what you wish for. What I would give to see our team play slick attacking football with two up front. This, for me, is far worse than anything under Ritchie, Wadsworth, Talbot and Moore.

Tough yes but to write them off as unlikely to get anything from them what is the point in the first place with that attitude?? They aren't United, barcelona or Real Madrid and to come out of all 3 games without mustering a goal and not having much control over a game (granted colchester when they went a man down)...

Should we just give the top 6 teams 6 points because they are financially better off than us? What has stopped us beating these teams in the past..?

I would argue that Leeds Norwich Southampton are much better teams than the others in this division.

After the Southampton Norwich game both managers said there was enough quality for the Championship on the pitch. To no get anything from these games with our current squad is not as bad as it seems. There is still time to pick up points off these and others though with not even half a season gone.

We shouldnt give the top 6 teams 6 points because they are financially better off than us. But we shouldnt be so shocked if we get beat by these teams when they get themselves in order like they have done.

We have had some great results against the top teams in recent seasons. Maybe they were taking a team like Oldham lightly and now they realise that they cant. Football is not all black and white.

I was one of the biggest "Sheridan Outers" around last year. I got my wish and have been shown that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. A clear example of being careful what you wish for. What I would give to see our team play slick attacking football with two up front. This, for me, is far worse than anything under Ritchie, Wadsworth, Talbot and Moore.

I take my hat off to you. Very few people around here will admit there mistakes.

I'm not sure it is actually worse. I think alot of us have just finally had enough of it. We saw far worse under Ronnie from I can remember, it's just I had some optimism then, as did many others.

Historically, Colchester are one of the half-dozen or so smallest clubs in the entire FL.

There's a real lower division mentality being cemented at the club now-just in time for the arrival of the lower division stadium. Or the 'temporary' ground share...

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Well, Huddersfield have a load of money and bought some class players.

Colchester aren't skint either and field a team of players who are a cross of basketball players and American footballers. They have some of the biggest bastards I've ever seen in my life.

lol how have you changed your display to say bring back ronnie moore?