Why wasn't Mark Allott Given a 2 year deal?

didn't think he was brilliant last year and i thought it right to release him at the time with him wanting 2 years, i personally didnt think he was worth a 2yr outlay with him being 31, but the way it has turned out, :censored: aside, by christ he wouldnt be half handy to have, you at least know what you are getting every game avergage player or not.

didn't think he was brilliant last year and i thought it right to release him at the time with him wanting 2 years, i personally didnt think he was worth a 2yr outlay with him being 31, but the way it has turned out, :censored: aside, by christ he wouldnt be half handy to have, you at least know what you are getting every game avergage player or not.

Agree, but better than average 'cause he wanted the shirt and unlike the current crop he deserved it.

Worthington's a better player for me. Obviously, I would like to have him at the moment because that midfield is too light-weight. Leeds didn't need to get the ball out wide; they ran rings around us through the centre, and for a side that likes to defend - particularly away from BP - it is a major worry.

If Furman was to pull his finger out I'd feel slightly more comfortable. Saying that Worthy's the player we're missing most. But obviously a left-back was needed more...

This thread is a good example of the memory playing tricks on people.

At the end of the season, we said the players were terrible, no fight, no battle, over paid prima donnas. They plummeted.

Almost unamnanimously, we argreed it would be better to ship everybody out, get new players in that could do a job.

At the start of the season, things seemed rosy.

No conicidence that the injuries have taken their toll. And DP must take some blame for not hving much dpeth, but I donlt think he had a lot of time to get any.

But we all agreed, a new squad would not all gel, and ship out a few in January.

We are on course for that, with half a team to come back from injury, almost like a new team and hopefully chompling at the bit to get out and play.

RE Mark Allott, I challenge anyone to find 5 posters that thought Mark Allot was a good player, whilst in the team.

We need players back, and about 3 first team signings. Then assess. Our main problem is offloading those that everyone deems to be underperforming.

Saying all, that, this is Dave Penney's team, it is up to him, but clearly backs against the wall, some players were all that was available. I'd say jusge him firstly in Jan how he reacts to pressure, then after the next summer signings.

Now is not the time ro panic.

That comes later in the season.

Allott would get in my team now but he wouldn't if everyone is fit. Given the choice between Allott and Whitts (even a summer Whitts) I'd have Allott. I'm not sure I'd have him in front of anyone else though- Worthy is better at the spoiling job- as demonstrated last year v Hudds when Worthy bossed Allott. :censored: is a better player in quite a similar mould and you can see Furman is a better passer but is off form at the mo. Factor in Holdsworth who has looked quite useful when played in midfield and Allott, who was probably on a decent wage looks quite expensive especially for 2 years. Who's to say that Allott wouldn't have gotten injured, or started going off the boil because he's getting on a bit- bearing in mind he was playing for us (I think in this divsion) when he was a teenager.

I spoke to someone who knows him a bit over the summer and it was quite clear he wanted to stay on at Oldham but wanted the security of a two-year deal we, quite sensibly didn't want to give a ?31 year old a 2 year deal. When he left Shez was out of work but I think if Shez was at Chesterfield he might have taken a 1 year deal on a supposed pay rise knowing full well that if things didn't quite work out Shez would be willing to take him on- as proven by the farce of his ?5 weeks with the Chuckle Brothers- smart move that one getting out of there.

It would be nice to see him return to BP so we can give him the reception he deserved (which this time I think he will get- he didn't deserve the abuse he got last time) but hopefully that won't be in league 2.

In terms of all of the squad that started last year Allott wouldn't be the first I'd be wanting back but he would definately not be the last either.

Allott would get in my team now but he wouldn't if everyone is fit. Given the choice between Allott and Whitts (even a summer Whitts) I'd have Allott. I'm not sure I'd have him in front of anyone else though- Worthy is better at the spoiling job- as demonstrated last year v Hudds when Worthy bossed Allott. :censored: is a better player in quite a similar mould and you can see Furman is a better passer but is off form at the mo. Factor in Holdsworth who has looked quite useful when played in midfield and Allott, who was probably on a decent wage looks quite expensive especially for 2 years. Who's to say that Allott wouldn't have gotten injured, or started going off the boil because he's getting on a bit- bearing in mind he was playing for us (I think in this divsion) when he was a teenager.

I spoke to someone who knows him a bit over the summer and it was quite clear he wanted to stay on at Oldham but wanted the security of a two-year deal we, quite sensibly didn't want to give a ?31 year old a 2 year deal. When he left Shez was out of work but I think if Shez was at Chesterfield he might have taken a 1 year deal on a supposed pay rise knowing full well that if things didn't quite work out Shez would be willing to take him on- as proven by the farce of his ?5 weeks with the Chuckle Brothers- smart move that one getting out of there.

It would be nice to see him return to BP so we can give him the reception he deserved (which this time I think he will get- he didn't deserve the abuse he got last time) but hopefully that won't be in league 2.

In terms of all of the squad that started last year Allott wouldn't be the first I'd be wanting back but he would definately not be the last either.

I think that is a very fair assessment of the situation.

Worthington's a better player for me. Obviously, I would like to have him at the moment because that midfield is too light-weight. Leeds didn't need to get the ball out wide; they ran rings around us through the centre, and for a side that likes to defend - particularly away from BP - it is a major worry.

If Furman was to pull his finger out I'd feel slightly more comfortable. Saying that Worthy's the player we're missing most. But obviously a left-back was needed more...

You need a Worthington type in midfield but from what I've seen so far he is way too reckless and with resulting injuries and suspensions if he plays 20 games for us I'll be surprised!!!

He's no good to us playing less than half a season!

No conicidence that the injuries have taken their toll. And DP must take some blame for not hving much dpeth, but I donlt think he had a lot of time to get any.

Think you will find Penney had long enough to prepare for this season and get his squad ready.

If i remember rightly he was appointed just before the Wallsall game? which was in May. He then had till the end of August to get HIS squad.

Not good enough if you ask me.

Think you will find Penney had long enough to prepare for this season and get his squad ready.

If i remember rightly he was appointed just before the Wallsall game? which was in May. He then had till the end of August to get HIS squad.

Not good enough if you ask me.

he wanted a 2 year deal,which at 31 isnt out of the ordinary...but he was assessed by big joe with penny looking over the team for last game of season and only offered a 12 month deal...i know he wanted to stay as i spoke to him about it personally....

didnt want to be living miles away from home and playing somewhere he wasnt happy with..reason he went to tranmere was moore,and the ideas he had and the players he had lined up...

was mystified at moore losing his job and the timeing was right with shez getting chesterfield job,where he was captain before.

i think in all honesty his first season back was a great one...sadly his second wasnt,but lets face it everyone was struggling that time around and with casper as your wingman....says it all really.

Totally agree. When the signings were being made, no-one was complaining at Allott leaving, with the likes of Worthy and Furman coming in!

I agreed at the time that letting Allott go was the right decision because we were led to believe we would be aiming for a little bit more quality, as it turns out the players we've brought in are no better and possibly worse than we already had so under the circumstances I suppose he should have been retained.

We have never replaced Wellens and our midfield has been devoid of skill and ideas for far too long now.......Furman has been a major let down and is maybe another 2nd division player who was at his true level at Bradford and has failed to make the step up!! I admit he's not had much support and hasn't had the benefit of a settled side but a good midfielder should demand the ball more and I've seen no evidence that he can be our playmaker even when we have a fully fit squad.

Although we've had our fair share of injuries we do have a playing squad of about 35 of which 26 could be classed as full time pro's. Do we really need that many and could we not cut back the numbers and go for a bit more quality rather than quantity!!!

Massive mistake, MOM often under Shez, chipped in, captain material, local lad, latics fan, wanted it, I MISS HIM, DO YOU?

We could of given him a year one contract, BUT once he hit a certain amount of appearances this year, it would trigger a clause that would extend it a year