Might aswell get use to it now !

Despite the evidence to the cintrary people still believed the Earth was flat. Doesn't make it true.

haha but when you travel around the world you get back to the same point you started in.

When I travel from Chorlton to Boundary Park unless my eyes deceive me I seem to stay in the same city travelling from the south of it to the north of it.

People used to believe the Earth was flat, I think I could put forward a strong case that Oldham is Greater Manchester.

Times change.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooh, I'm looking forward to my next OASIS trip. I knew there was a reason I bought that machete off ebay...

:wink:

Long and short of it, the town of Oldham is in the metropilitan borough of Oldham (as is Faillsworth for that matter). The metropolitan borough of Oldham is in Greater Manchester (as is the city of Manchester). 'Greater Manchester' is interchangeable nowadays with 'Manchester', and in that respect Oldhamers are Mancunians, whether they want to call themselves it or not.

If you're from Oldham and want to call yourself an Oldhamer rather than a Mancunian, then that's your prerogative. But you're both. Stop pretending Oldham isn't in Manchester...it is. Whilst those from Oldham who claim they're from Manchester may be referring to their wider identity because they're embarrassed of their mill town roots (as CJ claims, but I don't agree with), at least they're correct in doing so. Those from Oldham who kid themselves they're not from Manchester are the ones in a strange self-denial, not the other way round.

Saying you're from Oldham but not Manchester is like saying you're from Oldham but not from the North.

Bloody Mancs.

Is there no end to this man's knowledge? I wish i hadn't studied local, American, German, Russian, Sub-Continental Asian and British History for nigh on 5 years then perhaps I'd be allowed an opinion of whether Manchester had made progress in establishing a new identity in the last 20 years or so.

But we're all fookin' doomed anyway aren't we Corp?

Life's :censored:, then you die, lighten the fook up!

Mass suicide at BP on Exeter anyone? :lol:

Is there no end to this man's knowledge? I wish i hadn't studied local, American, German, Russian, Sub-Continental Asian and British History for nigh on 5 years then perhaps I'd be allowed an opinion of whether Manchester had made progress in establishing a new identity in the last 20 years or so.

But we're all fookin' doomed anyway aren't we Corp?

Life's :censored:, then you die, lighten the fook up!

Why the nigh on hysterical reaction to a simple question?

When we're subjected to a barrage of meaningless statements and catch phrases on an hourly, nay, minute by minute basis, it seems natural to me to ask questions.

Long and short of it, the town of Oldham is in the metropilitan borough of Oldham (as is Faillsworth for that matter). The metropolitan borough of Oldham is in Greater Manchester (as is the city of Manchester). 'Greater Manchester' is interchangeable nowadays with 'Manchester', and in that respect Oldhamers are Mancunians, whether they want to call themselves it or not.

If you're from Oldham and want to call yourself an Oldhamer rather than a Mancunian, then that's your prerogative. But you're both. Stop pretending Oldham isn't in Manchester...it is. Whilst those from Oldham who claim they're from Manchester may be referring to their wider identity because they're embarrassed of their mill town roots (as CJ claims, but I don't agree with), at least they're correct in doing so. Those from Oldham who kid themselves they're not from Manchester are the ones in a strange self-denial, not the other way round.

Saying you're from Oldham but not Manchester is like saying you're from Oldham but not from the North.

Bloody Mancs.

Manchester is a city; GM is a administrative county, partly fallen into disuse. If you're from Oldham (or Bolton, or Rochdale, or Stockport, or Bury etc) you are from Greater Manchester. You are not from Manchester and are, therefore, in no sense Mancunian.

Don't take my word for it-ask a Mancunian.

In comparison to the City that was dying on its arse (until relatively recently) after the collapse of the cotton industry, leaving massive city warehouses crumbling away, developments such as Salford Quays, The Printworks and Eastlands have helped to heal a scarred and shattered industrial landscape. A landscape that screamed failure but now shouts employment and vibrancy rather than decay and sob story.

World class universities

World class cycling and swimming facilities

World class Cricket facilities being built

World class indoor arena

Two (soon to be anyway) World Class Football teams and Stadium to match

Superb hotels

Good transport links to all areas

Printworks

Office facilities

One of the most used Airports in the World

Big name exclusive shopping

Ok not necessarily in Manchester but the Trafford Centre

Chill Factor E

etc, etc...

Progressive in the context of that the City whilst celebrating its industrial heritage, is striving for a place in the 21st Century. Not sitting on its laurels feeling sorry for itself.

I admire what has been done in the preservation of heritage and the redevelopment of Manchester, Salford and Trafford, but I must remind you that not only the Trafford Centre but also one of the world-class football clubs and Salford Quays are not in Manchester. Salford City Council is justifiably proud of its redevelopment of the Quays.

http://www.salford.gov.uk/quays-regen.htm

As mentioned in the earlier link, Salford was an important township when Manchester was little more than a hamlet on Salford's outskirts. Salfordians grow visibly annoyed at being called Mancunians.

I admire what has been done in the preservation of heritage and the redevelopment of Manchester, Salford and Trafford, but I must remind you that not only the Trafford Centre but also one of the world-class football clubs and Salford Quays are not in Manchester. Salford City Council is justifiably proud of its redevelopment of the Quays.

http://www.salford.gov.uk/quays-regen.htm

As mentioned in the earlier link, Salford was an important township when Manchester was little more than a hamlet on Salford's outskirts. Salfordians grow visibly annoyed at being called Mancunians.

The problem is though while everyone who comes from the area knows all of the little intricacies about what belongs to where, which boundary goes where etc, people from further afield will always include Salford, Oldham, Bury, Sale, Stockport etc. as Manchester.

I come from a small town near Runcorn, before leaving home I would never dream about referring to myself as from Runcorn. However no one has heard of it when I say where I am from, so sometimes I use Runcorn as a marker, some people haven't even heard of Runcorn so I have to say I am from near Chester/Liverpool/Manchester.

who cares who we are or are not,what people think or label us?

you are what you want to be.

f*ck everyone elses opinion!!

(a punk sociology lecture there!)

Thing is though, we're not. Are we?

Punk died the moment the Pistols signed to EMI and Slaughter and the Dogs played at blah blah, drone usual sub-Paul Morley crap zzz.

So after this long thread, have we decided?

Is Failsworth in Oldham or MAnchester.

Coat already on...

Here's the final word: Failsworth is in the borough of Oldham, although at an outer fringe. It has never been part of the city of Manchester.

However, much of the Failsworth population, possibly a majority, has Mancunian origins. Thus, it is culturally (for want of a better word) Mancunian.

All we need to know, in the end, is that no more than about 5% of Failsworth residents (if that) will ever wholeheartedly support Oldham Athletic.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The problem is though while everyone who comes from the area knows all of the little intricacies about what belongs to where, which boundary goes where etc, people from further afield will always include Salford, Oldham, Bury, Sale, Stockport etc. as Manchester.

I come from a small town near Runcorn, before leaving home I would never dream about referring to myself as from Runcorn. However no one has heard of it when I say where I am from, so sometimes I use Runcorn as a marker, some people haven't even heard of Runcorn so I have to say I am from near Chester/Liverpool/Manchester.

just say your from runcorn. I just im from oldham.

Long and short of it, the town of Oldham is in the metropilitan borough of Oldham (as is Faillsworth for that matter). The metropolitan borough of Oldham is in Greater Manchester (as is the city of Manchester).

Oldham only comes under the 'Greater Manchester' umbrella for some local services provided county-wide, administered by statutory joint boards. These are Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive, (GMPTE) which is responsible for planning and co-ordinating public transport across the county; the Greater Manchester Police, who are overseen by a joint Police authority; the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, wich is administered by a joint "Fire and Rescue Authority"; and the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority. These joint boards are made up of councillors appointed from each of the ten boroughs (except the Waste Disposal Authority, which does not include the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan). The ten boroughs jointly own the Manchester Airport Group which controls Manchester Airport and three other UK airports. Other services are directly funded and managed by the local councils, such as Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council.

'Greater Manchester' is interchangeable nowadays with 'Manchester', and in that respect Oldhamers are Mancunians, whether they want to call themselves it or not.

It is only "interchangeable" by those who speak with incorrect knowledge.

If you're from Oldham and want to call yourself an Oldhamer rather than a Mancunian, then that's your prerogative. But you're both. Stop pretending Oldham isn't in Manchester...it is.

It is the prerogative of Oldhamers to do so because they come from Oldham, just as people called Mancunians come ftom Manchester.

Bloody Mancs.

Your wink still makes this a big whoosh, but on your final point we are agreed. :grin:

When asked where I came from, I used to say "Oldham" and then I would add "in Lancashire near Manchester" for people unsure of the town's location. Then Big Joe brought us the 'glory years' and I no longer had to explain where the town was situated. To say Latics put the town on the map was an understatement. East Staffordshire Borough Council is twinned with Blantyre, Malawi and, to my amazement, visitors from there talked to me with fondness about the cup exploits of Latics, which they had followed from back home. We were the second team of many people, because of the attacking style of play.

People still know where the town is, but these days they struggle to remember which division Latics are in.

Er .... Im from Derker ........ is that Oldham/Manchester/Lancs or greater didsbury ..... Lets leave the politics to the polititions eh lads FFS Oldham is where your heart believes it is the town where we grew up. Let the t**ts in the suits decide the boundary is ... Me Im from 'beyond the boundary' . When I ring my sister in Shaw I dial 01706 when I ring my mate in saddleworth I ring 01457 does that make it all the 0161s a collective group because BT says its so ??? does it fook .... as the shop says we are Latics ... And we are Oldham ... Be nice to each other ... and party on dudes