Latics player of the decade....

It was a lovely goal :) I was sat behind the nets that night and it pretty much came screaming right at me :D

I wasn't at Old Trafford. I was at Watersheddings that day listening to GMR on my radio if memory serves me correctly.

A mate let me use his season ticket voucher which enabled me to go to Old Trafford. Right at the end of the first-half fat arse was clean through and fell over his own friggin' feet! Then early in the second-half he pulls that rabbit out of the hat! Shame that United scored two in a minute shortly after introducing Dion Dublin back on the pitch, his first touch in league football for 18 months and it ends up in our net! Then three of the buggers offside and Ince bundles home - rather diluted the euphoria of McCarthy's strike...

That one and Beresford's at Wolves = goals of the 90s.

Hmmm controversial! Goals of the nineties eh?

ok...

1990 - Rick Holden v Villa/Adams at Brighton

1991 - Stitch at Brighton

1992 - Marshall v Notts County/Henry v Chelsea

1993 - Beckford v Coventry/Brennan v Chelsea

1994 - McCarthy v United/Notts County

1995 - Bez at Wolves

1996 - Creaney v Stoke

1997 - Rush v Swindon

1998 - Tipton v Wrexham

1999 - Holt v Blackpool/Shez at Bristol Rovers

Thems get my vote! :wink:

1995 - Bez at Wolves

1996 - Creaney v Stoke

1997 - Rush v Swindon

1998 - Tipton v Wrexham

The opposition get more depressing the further down the list you go don't they?

Hmmm controversial! Goals of the nineties eh?

ok...

1995 - Bez at Wolves

1996 - Creaney v Stoke

1997 - Rush v Swindon

1998 - Tipton v Wrexham

Thems get my vote! :wink:

Holt's goal v Blackpool (assuming you mean the full length run) was before 99 wasn't it?

I thought it was the 97/98 season?

Actually I think the rocket that completed his hat-trick at Meadow Lane was his best, that ball would still be travelling now - as good as his goal at old Trafford was. I was lucky enough to be at both.

One knack McCarthy had was chasing down the keeper and forcing mistakes, the amount of absolute tap-ins he scored - Portsmouth, Derby and the best comedy goal ever at Stoke were just down to his sheer presence. He was an old school bustler that needed better service than he got.

That goal at Stoke was incredible, 89 minute as well. I loved the 'Genesis walk’ goal celebration to go with it.

Favourite player of the decade has to be Paul Murray, for his heroic service in a pretty :censored: team. And his send off at Notts County, with that standing ovation as he ran over to take the corner... that sort of thing gives me a lump in the throat.

Fave for the 90's has to be the leader of the Latics, Mr Lee Duxbury - well him or Phil Starbuck because he was truly tremendous.

Best players is tough, but Sheridan wins my 90's award - it is actually scary how much better he was then everyone else in that team despite vast age and crippling lack of fitness. Plus he had a great moment away at Brizzle Rovers where he called Stuart Thom a big effing donkey, which was the most piercing analysis of a players ability that I have heard on a football pitch. As for the 00's then the best is surely Richie Wellens - what a player, and the most complete midfielder that I've seen at BP.

Oh, and this may be subjective and all that but McCarthorse? Shocking shout, totally unacceptable! We'll be lauding Shaun Garnett's silky skills next!

Whoah! WHOAH! That's English for "Stop a horse". :wink:

I never said he was a bad player. But player of the decade? Seriously?

We were only pish for the last 3 years or so of the 90's. What about the players we had between 1990 and 1994?

jimmy fryatt makes em all look like amateurs a proper no noncense in of mi ed player get in there my son...unmatchable :grin: :grin:

jimmy fryatt makes em all look like amateurs a proper no noncense in of mi ed player get in there my son...unmatchable :grin: :grin:

.....and Shawy alongside...best golascorer we EVER had. Throw in the king of all Geordies for good measure and what an unbelievable strikeforce we had at our disposal. What would you give for just one of those three today Walshy?

Edited by otid

ive only watched latics for a few years but i was lucky enough to watch david eyres play for a couple of seasons. he'd get my vote but cooksey would be up there along with wellens, gary mac etc

ernie cooksey? he only played a small number of games for us and he really didn't bring us many successes. i think some people have become too emotionally attatched

ernie cooksey? he only played a small number of games for us and he really didn't bring us many successes. i think some people have become too emotionally attatched

Spot On. I remember him getting loads of grief at a game away at Luton just before he left us because of his poor display.

Sad about his illness and ultimate death, but nowhere near one of our best players of the decade.