50th anniversary of Bobby Johnstone signing for Latics

BP1960

2110 sees the 50th anniversary of when Bobby Johnstone signed for the Latics, possibly becoming the greatest legend of all time.

Although maybe not a trust question, it could be an area worth exploring as to marking this occasion with a special event - inviting some of the remaining players, management and staff who served the club with him during his 5 years spell.

Bobby made his home debut against Exeter City on 15th October 1960 - attracting a bumper crowd of 17,116, and the likes of his genius will probably never be seen again.

An event may be already be planned, if not it may be worth organising a committee to set one up.

Regards, BP1960.

2110 sees the 50th anniversary of when Bobby Johnstone signed for the Latics, possibly becoming the greatest legend of all time.

Although maybe not a trust question, it could be an area worth exploring as to marking this occasion with a special event - inviting some of the remaining players, management and staff who served the club with him during his 5 years spell.

Bobby made his home debut against Exeter City on 15th October 1960 - attracting a bumper crowd of 17,116, and the likes of his genius will probably never be seen again.

An event may be already be planned, if not it may be worth organising a committee to set one up.

Regards, BP1960.

Piss up in Selkirk, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
Bernard Halford was assistant secretary in those magical days of the early 1960s and recalled, "He transformed the club, no doubt about that. He had the crowds flocking down Sheepfoot Lane, even though Athletic had dropped into the Fourth Division. I think it was the only period in my life when I regularly told lies. On match days the phone never stopped ringing. ‘Is Johnstone playing?’ Bobby might have been sitting in my office with his ankle in plaster, but I had to say he was playing, otherwise the fans wouldn’t have turned up. It really was as cut and dried as that."

We have always been a fickle bunch haven't we :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea, but personally would prefer a statue of Roger Palmer to be set up in the new stadium, as to me, (and most of the current fanbase, I imagine, Bobby is but a name in the history books). Roge The Doge, the club's record scorer, on the other hand, is a living legend.

Just my tuppence, like. Be glad to see either, or, or both.

Cheers,

KC

• 3 weeks later...

Regards, BP1960.

A good idea, but I don't think any of us will be around in 2110!!!!!!!!