some people need to relax and take chill pills..There seems to be a lot of biterness directed at the club ,And all because the new manager is having problems bedding in his new team...

So bloody what if we are struggling at the moment...A club of our stature is never going to be constantly pressing for trophy's and promotions,People need to open there eyes and realise that sacking managers isn't the answer .getting behind the team and supporting the players through the lean times would be a big help,David penny was highly thought of wherever he has managed a football club...he has upped the stakes now and whilst struggling i am pretty damn sure he knows what's needed to ammend things..Give the guy a chance that's all i am saying...just because the rollercoaster is stuck down the dip it doesn't mean that it can't be fixed.The chief mechanic is on to it as i write...CHILL IT :grin: :grin:

I dont post very often at all, but I completely agree.

A club of our size cannot expect a manager to come in and turn it around in less than 12 months.

It takes 12 months for a manager to settle in and get the players he needs. Having said that, he will be very restricted to the choices of players he can bring in, as we dont have the cash so he may be having to select the best of a bad bunch. He knows what we need, a lot of us do, but without the cash its a struggle. How can you build a squad with having so many loan players who come and go.

At the start of this season, I was and still am happy as long as we stay up. Also, at least we still have a club to support.

Next season, thats a different story but can you really honestly think that we could get automatic promotion unless some serious money is invested? We need a steady squad, thats what all the teams who get promotion have.

What benefit would it be to bring in a new manager and to start this all over again?

I appreciate the sentiment and there's always bound to be an over-reaction to a defeat, when times are bad.

But there's little getting away from the fact that we're in for a relegation battle this season. Whilst expectations weren't high this season, I don't things have panned out as well as anyone would have hoped this season. And it's bad enough that we're crap, we're also the dullest Latics side in living memory.

Penney has been pretty unimpressive thus far, with signings and tactics both having been poor, but I agree with Corp that changing manager will make very little difference, because the club's problems run an awful lot deeper than that.

I don't believe we did set out just for a point yesterday. We had two strikers who unfortunately weren't penetrative. And we gave away two soft goals.

We certainly weren't going for it though.

The strikers had very little, to no help from midfield - and again we played the percentage of the game in our own half, despite having nigh on all the possession.

I think Penney would have counted it as job done if we'd taken a point.

I appreciate the sentiment and there's always bound to be an over-reaction to a defeat, when times are bad.

But there's little getting away from the fact that we're in for a relegation battle this season. Whilst expectations weren't high this season, I don't things have panned out as well as anyone would have hoped this season. And it's bad enough that we're crap, we're also the dullest Latics side in living memory.

Penney has been pretty unimpressive thus far, with signings and tactics both having been poor, but I agree with Corp that changing manager will make very little difference, because the club's problems run an awful lot deeper than that.

I agree with this I understand exactly where the opening poster is coming from but I'm feeling pretty disilusioned with all things Latics at the moment and you can't blame others for feeling the same. Even if some of the fans on here come across as a right bunch of drama queens I am really am wondering where we are going as a club at the moment. Why when we lose a striker and a goalkeeper and have a number of defenders missing we go in and bring in a central midfielder is baffling. I'm not judging Goodwin yet I haven't seen him play but the decision from the manager just seems baffling. We are currently relying entirely on Chris Taylor quality at this level and if he wanted to leave at the end of this season to pursue his career I really wouldn't balme him, and Pav Abbot player of the season this year but who's career has been dogged by injury, if these two get injured or in Taylors case leave for bigger and better things then we are heading for oblivion.

I did not expect us to be challenging this season for promotion, but nor did I expect us to be in the situation we are in now.

Bottom line is

- We have been told by a director of the football club that Penney has the same playing budget that John Sheridan had.

- We are the lowest scorers in the division, having scored less goals that friggin stockport.

- Our record for the past 10 league games is W2 D2 L6, now in terms of points gained thats a possible 8 from 30, and not only is it relegation form, it is on par with Talbots last 10 league games in charge.

- Our record for the past 10 games in all competitions is W1 D2 L7, Talbots last 10 in charge in all competitions was W2 D0 L8.

- We carry on like this we are going down, end of story.

At least under the dark years of Ritchie, yes we were crap, but we at least tried to entertain and play a bit, and at least most of them apart from the odd loanee were our players. And agree with Stevie J, this has to be the dullest, most uninspiring Latics team we have seen in a long time.

For me, Abbott and :censored: being the exception penneys signings (as in permanent or long term loanees) have been below average to very poor. And ysterday by all accounts it took a sending off and the concession of two soft goals before we decided to have a proper go at them (people who went to the game yesterday feel free to correct me if this wasnt the case).

Relegation will be nothing short of a disaster for this club, and will be the last straw for the few fans we have left.

I did not expect us to be challenging this season for promotion, but nor did I expect us to be in the situation we are in now.

Bottom line is

- We have been told by a director of the football club that Penney has the same playing budget that John Sheridan had.

- We are the lowest scorers in the division, having scored less goals that friggin stockport.

- Our record for the past 10 league games is W2 D2 L6, now in terms of points gained thats a possible 8 from 30, and not only is it relegation form, it is on par with Talbots last 10 league games in charge.

- Our record for the past 10 games in all competitions is W1 D2 L7, Talbots last 10 in charge in all competitions was W2 D0 L8.

- We carry on like this we are going down, end of story.

At least under the dark years of Ritchie, yes we were crap, but we at least tried to entertain and play a bit, and at least most of them apart from the odd loanee were our players. And agree with Stevie J, this has to be the dullest, most uninspiring Latics team we have seen in a long time.

For me, Abbott and :censored: being the exception penneys signings (as in permanent or long term loanees) have been below average to very poor. And ysterday by all accounts it took a sending off and the concession of two soft goals before we decided to have a proper go at them (people who went to the game yesterday feel free to correct me if this wasnt the case).

Relegation will be nothing short of a disaster for this club, and will be the last straw for the few fans we have left.

Agree with all of that...

He has Pav and Taylor coming back now so its time for him to show what he can do when he has his better players available. We now know if we have injuries we are looking like going down which I find unacceptable. The bare bones of a sqaud should be good enough to keep us up in my opinion. But he can buy himself time now by putting together a decent run with his better players back. If he fails do this I see no other option but to be talking about a replacement come March.

Everything but this is fairly spot on.

But, if we haven't gone by now, we'll be there for the duration.

I think you are fooling yourself there... A drop to league two will see the crowds effected... 3500 crowds will become the best we can hope for I feel...

Edited by oafc0000

Agreed.

Would like to see the team set out to win a game though, rather than set out not to lose a game.

Would like ALL the team to arrive on the team coach first before we start a game would help.... :grin: (see oh dear post..)

Edited by underdog

I wonder whether the circumstances around this will lead to a move away from the club in the transfer window?

hmmm...like the alleged player requesting a transfer due to "feelings of abandonment?"

Can't believe a fellow team member/part of the coach party did not realise we had someone awol.

Anyway, I have gone off the topic of this thread...

Still funny though... :lol:

hmmm...like the alleged player requesting a transfer due to "feelings of abandonment?"

Can't believe a fellow team member/part of the coach party did not realise we had someone awol.

Anyway, I have gone off the topic of this thread...

Still funny though... :lol:

It's bloody easy to forget Parker's on the pitch, never mind the coach.

Perhaps foolishly, no matter how we suffered in the Ritchie days we could always tell ourselves that the club would rise again. Perhaps not to the dizzy heights of recent times, but at least to the place where we'd spent most of our time since the mid-1970s. It enabled us to endure seeing most of our local rivals at the time sail past us towards relative glory and riches. Now all we can look foward to us a downscaled club trying to survive in the lower divisions.

This is why so many long-term hardcore fans are giving up the ghost.

Perhaps foolishly, no matter how we suffered in the Ritchie days we could always tell ourselves that the club would rise again. Perhaps not to the dizzy heights of recent times, but at least to the place where we'd spent most of our time since the mid-1970s. It enabled us to endure seeing most of our local rivals at the time sail past us towards relative glory and riches. Now all we can look foward to us a downscaled club trying to survive in the lower divisions.

During the Ritchie days we came closest to going down! Certainly closer than in the last 4 years.

During the Ritchie days we came closest to going down! Certainly closer than in the last 4 years.

Yes we did. What progress we've made since then, eh?

The difference between then and now, for me, is that there was always the hope that somebody would take over and pump enough money in to revive the club. The second-tier wasn't such a distant memory, and the idea of Latics playing in it wasn't as absurd as it increasingly seems now. Most Latics fans I knew weren't either cynical and bitter (like me) or frightened of their own shadows.

Yes we did. What progress we've made since then, eh?

The difference between then and now, for me, is that there was always the hope that somebody would take over and pump enough money in to revive the club. The second-tier wasn't such a distant memory, and the idea of Latics playing in it wasn't as absurd as it increasingly seems now. Most Latics fans I knew weren't either cynical and bitter (like me) or frightened of their own shadows.

If you had suggested a 10-12k stadium being a move forward back in those days there would of be a riot...

Given that you claim that the current state of the club was determined by the failure to capitalise on the prem days, and your admission here that you still felt a rise back to level 2 was likely in the late 90s, doesn't that show that you were about 5 years too late in seeing where we'd gone wrong. Which rather knocks your claims to predict the future on the head.

Unless you're just changing things as you go along.

I think a rise back to level 2 is more likely now than a fall to level 4, and I'm happy to place a clear bet on that with a 10 year time limit. You want some? £100? Maybe more?

Given that you claim that the current state of the club was determined by the failure to capitalise on the prem days, and your admission here that you still felt a rise back to level 2 was likely in the late 90s, doesn't that show that you were about 5 years too late in seeing where we'd gone wrong. Which rather knocks your claims to predict the future on the head.

Unless you're just changing things as you go along.

I think a rise back to level 2 is more likely now than a fall to level 4, and I'm happy to place a clear bet on that with a 10 year time limit. You want some? £100? Maybe more?

Don't be so daft. I can understand you wanting to remain upbeat, but you seem to be losing your grip.

It was more than obvious in the Ritchie days that the club had failed to capitalise on its golden chance of just a few years earlier. That didn't rule out the possibility of somebody coming in who'd be able to revive the club's fortunes. Personally, I never believed that a return to the PL was a possibility once we dropped out of it, but I did used to believe we'd re-establish ourselves in the second-tier once we'd gone through some years of pain. As I said earlier, perhaps I was naive.

You're on for the bet, although I'd prefer the terms to be that we won't have established ourselves in the second-tier of English football, whatever it may be called by the time, ten years from now. Make it £200 if you want (and hope that we still have a currency by then...) It has to be a donation to a chosen charity, however. I do not wish to bet against my own club for personal gain.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Don't be so daft. I can understand you wanting to remain upbeat, but you seem to be losing your grip.

It was more than obvious in the Ritchie days that the club had failed to capitalise on its golden chance of just a few years earlier. That didn't rule out the possibility of somebody coming in who'd be able to revive the club's fortunes. Personally, I never believed that a return to the PL was a possibility once we dropped out of it, but I did used to believe we'd re-establish ourselves in the second-tier once we'd gone through some years of pain. As I said earlier, perhaps I was naive.

You're on for the bet, although I'd prefer the terms to be that we won't have established ourselves in the second-tier of English football, whatever it may be called by the time, ten years from now. Make it £200 if you want (and hope that we still have a currency by then...) It has to be a donation to a chosen charity, however. I do not wish to bet against my own club for personal gain.

Ok, I'll pay £200 to Dr Kershaw's if we go down to Div4/Lge2 at any time before the end of 2020 season, you pay £200 to (Dr Kershaw's) if we go up to Div2/Championship at any time before the same date.

Not sure what we do if both happen? Both of us pay up and the charity benefits?