Giver Upper

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts.... Well I consider myself pretty hardcore and have been/will still be going to the games as usual, but I do sympathise with a lot of fans apathy.

My match day experience is not what it was for a few reasons, firstly it is really sad looking across at a barren area where the lookers was, really disheartening. I understand how this situation has come about and it is not a criticism, but it's not nice to see BP in it's current state.

Secondly, my car got broken into when I was at the Ernie charity game (classy crims huh?) and since then I now boycott the official parking and instead park near the DW. I am a member anyway and often go in before the game but it is an inconvenience which means that most games I get in the stadium frozen and soaked. When we move to Failsworth (fingers crossed) I will have a short walk, or safer parking facilities.

Thirdly, a lot of the people I used to go to the game with are no longer frequent attenders, however you are never alone at the footy and I know a lot of people around me now, though it is not what it used to be. A couple of mates have said that the new stadium would make them more inclined to come to more games however.

So for me the move will sort most of my issues out. I don't agree with the team are crap arguments, we have been crap for years and in actual fact we have been better and more consistent in recent seasons finishing in or around the play offs. This season has been disappointing but the injuries have been horrendous, we will see how we do when the squad looks healthier, my prediction is a midtable finish.... lets see come May.

The fourth reason I feel a little apathy is that even though we are better than the days of Garnett, McNiven, Tipton, Rickers etc. the large turnover of players means that not many players feel like our own, this is just lower league footy these days I guess. The aforementioned players stayed at the club for moire than two seasons and you felt an affinity to them, even if they were crap, they were our crap! The loan signing after loan signing is also tiresome. I would much rather chuck a youngster in.

Just my thoughts as I said. I am not hangin myself yet, though this message board should probably carry a warning.

OK, here's my own perspective.

I don't think I'd ever let the threat of a shiny new stadium a few miles away from an apathetic support or a board I may or may not agree with will stop me going. I'm a fan, I'll be here (hopefully!) long after Penny, TTA or any journeyman player you can mention.

Call me an old romantic, but I think the first step to getting "the faith" back for a lot of people would be to appoint a manager who knows what the fans want and would adapt the team accordingly.

The other factors mentioned, like the Lookers not being there anymore, I reckon would quickly be forgotton about if the faithful had a football team they feel they could get behind.

One factor not discussed in this thread, that actually raises hope, is the Recession we are in.

Ritchies times were comparatve boom times.

I don;t know the stats of unemployed, but have a figure of 10% rise in unemployment in my head.

Statistically, we should be about 10% down compared to under Ritchie's time.

OK, here's my own perspective.

I don't think I'd ever let the threat of a shiny new stadium a few miles away from an apathetic support or a board I may or may not agree with will stop me going. I'm a fan, I'll be here (hopefully!) long after Penny, TTA or any journeyman player you can mention.

Call me an old romantic, but I think the first step to getting "the faith" back for a lot of people would be to appoint a manager who knows what the fans want and would adapt the team accordingly.

The other factors mentioned, like the Lookers not being there anymore, I reckon would quickly be forgotton about if the faithful had a football team they feel they could get behind.

I totally agree. I don't know anything about the economics or the politics and I don't really care. People who feel disfranchised generally seem to want an armchair say in the running of the club - without taking any financial risk and with no discernible qualifications for giving such input.

The first step is to offload the manager and get someone who has an affiliation with the club, and someone who'll send our team out to have a go. They'll be dusting off those scarves in no time.

So for me the move will sort most of my issues out. I don't agree with the team are crap arguments, we have been crap for years and in actual fact we have been better and more consistent in recent seasons finishing in or around the play offs. This season has been disappointing but the injuries have been horrendous, we will see how we do when the squad looks healthier, my prediction is a midtable finish.... lets see come May.

The fourth reason I feel a little apathy is that even though we are better than the days of Garnett, McNiven, Tipton, Rickers etc. the large turnover of players means that not many players feel like our own, this is just lower league footy these days I guess. The aforementioned players stayed at the club for moire than two seasons and you felt an affinity to them, even if they were crap, they were our crap! The loan signing after loan signing is also tiresome. I would much rather chuck a youngster in.

Just my thoughts as I said. I am not hangin myself yet, though this message board should probably carry a warning.

:applause1: Agree wholly

People would come back if the team improved and we found ourselves in the Championship. Of course they would. But being in League One is poisonous.

The danger is that the club plans to build a ground that cements us, at best, in the third-tier for good.

It's why the proposed capacity is so low, folks. Nearly all the grounds with capacities so low are in the lower divisions.

One factor not discussed in this thread, that actually raises hope, is the Recession we are in.

Ritchies times were comparatve boom times.

I don;t know the stats of unemployed, but have a figure of 10% rise in unemployment in my head.

Statistically, we should be about 10% down compared to under Ritchie's time.

The recession affects everybody, but clubs doing well are not suffering markedly lower attendances. Many of those still in work have, on average, had more money in thier pockets over tha past year or so, due to a number of factors, low interest rates being one.