Non league striker worth a look

It's possible he may be on good money now, but I think most young lads would jump at the chance of league football and if he played for a Championship club (which I think he is capable of) then he would reap the rewards.

I think you may be right, it isn't everyday a youngster gets offered roughly the same amount of pay, more often to be more for being out of the house on part time hours on full time + pay, still it depends on how much he wants it and how much extra fitness he is prepared to put in....

Adam Warlow is the lad we should be getting from Fleetwood Town, he's top scorer in the Conf North and gets goals for fun, 6ft 2, 22 yrs, decent.. I've seen Shaun Whalley (Droyslden) too, he was at Accrington, I liked him there but he got released, went to Wrexham, and got released, then went to Southport, and got released... so who knows?!

Adam Warlow is the lad we should be getting from Fleetwood Town, he's top scorer in the Conf North and gets goals for fun, 6ft 2, 22 yrs, decent.. I've seen Shaun Whalley (Droyslden) too, he was at Accrington, I liked him there but he got released, went to Wrexham, and got released, then went to Southport, and got released... so who knows?!

I emailed Alan Hardy to try and get him to send a scout to watch Warlow who reminds me of Chris Porter but i think the scouts must be too busy, that was at the end of September, sadly i dont think we could afford him now. :wink:

Sean Clancy is another classy player at Fleetwood who will be playing league football very soon.

I wouldn't read too much into a young players early career, there can be many reasons for late development

For instance Steve Jones played International and Championship football after moving from Chadderton to being released by Blackpool and Bury and then had a long spell with Leigh RMI.

At the opposite end of the scale I have known Youth Internationals with top flight clubs drop down the ladder and finish up playing at low non league levels and never return.

It all depends on the individual.

I know we got Ojapah from AFC Liverpool. I find it strange though that we want players from non-league but scoff at getting players from League 2.

Nail on head- we should be looking at players who are good enough and want to come. It shouldn't matter if they play for Derby County, Darlington or Durham. If they are good enough then it doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine who is Premiership club scout checked out Droylsden winger Shaun Whalley recently, and his report was

that he is very quick and direct, has a good football brain and always looked like scoring a goal. (he has 15 already this season).

He thought he could play at Championship level and would have no problems whatsoever shining in Divisions 1 or 2.

Latics have been made aware of him so we will see what happens.

Edited by BP1960

A friend of mine who is Premiership club scout checked out Droylsden winger Shaun Whalley recently, and his report was

that he is very quick and direct, has a good football brain and always looked like scoring a goal. (he has 15 already this season).

He thought he could play at Championship level and would have no problems whatsoever shining in Divisions 1 or 2.

Latics have been made aware of him so we will see what happens.

Is this the guy released from Accrington, Wrexham, Southport? Would league clubs not find it a bit worrying for a young player with so much potential to be continually released from clubs?

as we are currently seeing and have done with many others over the years, potential can only be reached if the player has the mental strength and aptitude to parallel his ability.

Is this the guy released from Accrington, Wrexham, Southport? Would league clubs not find it a bit worrying for a young player with so much potential to be continually released from clubs?

as we are currently seeing and have done with many others over the years, potential can only be reached if the player has the mental strength and aptitude to parallel his ability.

History is littered with players who played in the Premiership and International football after being in non league and released by several lower league clubs.

What happened in the past could have been a myriad of things, but the fact is Whalley in the eyes of many good judges is an exceptionally good player, he shows plenty of good mental strength and aptitude now and should be given a chance to prove his worth, if league clubs don't bother he will remain in non league and it will be a waste of talent.

Remember, no league club took on David Eyres after plying his trade in non league until he was 26 years of age - and that now seems incredible.

Whalley is actually quite similar in style to David Eyres, but maybe quicker and potentially a more prolific goalscorer.

Edited by BP1960

History is littered with players who played in the Premiership and International football after being in non league and released by several lower league clubs.

What happened in the past could have been a myriad of things, but the fact is Whalley in the eyes of many good judges is an exceptionally good player, he shows plenty of good mental strength and aptitude now and should be given a chance to prove his worth, if league clubs don't bother he will remain in non league and it will be a waste of talent.

Remember, no league club took on David Eyres after plying his trade in non league until he was 26 years of age - and that now seems incredible.

Whalley is actually quite similar in style to David Eyres, but maybe quicker and potentially a more prolific goalscorer.

Very interesting.

I know that a lot of people are quite eager to criticise the clubs when it comes to looking at/signing non-league players, but i would imagine that there are a proportion of those players who don't want to make the step up as well.

Cheers BP

Very interesting.

I know that a lot of people are quite eager to criticise the clubs when it comes to looking at/signing non-league players, but i would imagine that there are a proportion of those players who don't want to make the step up as well.

Cheers BP

You are right in some cases, I knew of one non league player who could have played at the highest level, but was a managing director of a thriving business so he chose to stay part time at his club.

Ironically his club eventually got promoted to the football league, by then he was in his 30s, but still shone at that level.

Some bearing may be that Whalley's father was a professional with PNE, so he should be be well aware of the pitfalls of the game.

For a glimpse of Whalley check out this video, he is Number 11 and starts off with a typical surging run after 30 seconds and scores a well taken goal after 2 minutes, after that he features in several tasty incidents in a very competative match.

Whalley video

Edited by BP1960