leeds utd to get new sponsors

boboafc

getting all retro now...

brute 33 -"slash it all over" ..henry cooper and kevin keegan

smash mash"and they peel them with their metal hands ha ha ha!"

brooke bond tea -"can yer ride tandum"

cinzano bianco with leonard rossiter and joan collins(cor!)

birds dream topping/angel delight

carling black label

double diamond

watneys party 4 pack / party seven

chopper / chipper bikes

cresta.."its frothy maan"

ladybird / reading to some purpose(rtsp) school books

betamax videos

vauxhall vivas

prize yoghurt "the prize guys"

colt 45 beer

foster grants

unigate milk "watch out,theres a humphrey about"

the galloping gourmet

rolfs stylophone(still available in HMV!)

arctic rolls

six million dollar man

texaco / esso football coins

8 track tapes

c&a

star jumpers

mastermind game

frisbees

evil knievil stunt rider toy

action man "with eagle eyes"

crackerjack pencils

jim'ill fix it medals

portable cassette recorders

anything by ronco..buttoneers

vesta chow mien (still bloody lovely!)

spirographs

etchasketch

monkey boots

fritz the cat

"is it live..or is it memorex?"

robertsons jams gollie badges

chivers jelly

space dust

old jamaica chocolate

spangles

rumba bar

texan bar

bazooka joe bubble gum

"Hello, French polishers? You might just be able to save my life..."

Retro.

I saw the guy from the advert in a pub about three or four years later. He looked miserable. I don't think he appreciated me or my mate quoting lines from the ad at him either.

The 1990 England/Scotland completed coin collection is one of my prized possisions.

I remember spending about an hour in the texaco that used to be on Huddersfield road with my dad, convincing the attendant to let us look through his whole box of coins, opening the corner of each one, looking for Paul McStay to complete the set...

Awsome. Have that one and the 1996 England one....

The 1990 England/Scotland completed coin collection is one of my prized possisions.

I remember spending about an hour in the texaco that used to be on Huddersfield road with my dad, convincing the attendant to let us look through his whole box of coins, opening the corner of each one, looking for Paul McStay to complete the set...

i have some mexico '70 ones somewhere..

Randomly, I went to a Lisbon Lions roadshow once, hosted by the local Celtic club, where it was let slip that a guy from work who I vaguely knew was McStay's nephew. I was in some awe of him for that, especially as it was before I pulled Jim Craig's great-niece*

Given your dad's history I suppose he just stole all of the England components of the collection?

* She later found out that it was a different Jim Craig and had got the wrong stick, never mind the wrong end. I never did find out how she mistake A N Other Jim Craig for a European Cup winning footballer, but then their minds aren't quite like ours.

great find!

see you in the summer B)

Here's the Esso Coins write up.

Package holidays notwithstanding, the ’70s was for most one big long decade of holidays that began and ended with mammoth five hour-plus drives from one end of Britain to the other, with breakdowns, spam sandwiches in foil on the back seat, and at least one refill on the way. Petrol stations, eying up the family traffic through their forecourts, wondered how to get the non-driving contingent, bored and queasy from petrol fumes, on side. Many little promotions sprang up over the years, from National Garages’ little model Smurf athletes for the Moscow Olympics to the mighty ‘Let’s Go to the Shop (Shell Station)’. But none can hold a candle to the original, which got it as right as could be first time round – the Esso World Cup Coin Collection. The endeavour was, of course, a no-brainer in 1970. Cast the complete squad of defending champions in bronze – oh, all right, some kind of tin or something – and offer them free to purchasers of a full tank of the erstwhile Standard Oil’s finest two star or above. The coins were odd things indeed – depicting each player’s head three-quarters on, they gave them all the sort of heroically stern countenance normally favoured by Soviet propagandist statuary, along with rather terrifying sightless eyes, a bit like those of Marc Harrison’s weirdo alien Sky. Imposing and impressive they may have been, but going on the evidence of the coins alone, you wouldn’t want to be facing these men across the desks on A Question of Sport. Thank God Jimmy Hill was out of the game before all this kicked off.

Of course, each coin was offered sight unseen in a sealed pouch, which meant that, while collecting at the start was a breeze, the more team members you accumulated, the more likely you were to get duplicates, and the more those unfilled holes in the royal blue cardboard mount gaped with forlorn emptiness. Kids at the end of their tethers, if not their collections, were often ‘helped out’ by kindly forecourt attendants, who’d offer to break open a couple of packets and get them their longed-for Peter Bonetti to finish the job off. This kindly magnanimity was, in fact, Esso company policy – provided, of course, there was visual evidence that the child in question had already suffered the tribulations of a triple run of Emlyn Hugheses.

Inevitably, the lads’ work on the field didn’t quite match their efforts in the recording studio performing Back Home, and the fad faded out. A revival occurred, somewhat opportunistically, when the 1990 tournament brought the beautiful game back under the radar of the executive classes, and Platty and co were granted their shot at faux-silver immortality. Sadly, these didn’t have quite the forbidding power of the originals – the sculpting was more cartoony, and some of them were even smiling! Those weird sightless eyes remained, though, now looking as if they’d been gouged out in some terrifying tunnel altercation. All wrong the new lot may have been, but they did well enough, attesting to the soundness of the original idea as much as the nostalgic power of those early sets – after all, who these days sheds a tear in fond memory of the Texaco Great British Regiments promotion?

God I love TV Cream.

Martin, that was never a joke - not in a million years.

Anyway, Luncheon Vouchers....

...and custard. There's not enough custard in our adult lives. My kids eat it like it's going out of fashion.

EDIT: Co-op dividends! I remember looking after these important little stamps for my Mum, How was I supposed to know they were a houskeeping commodity that had the value of uncut diamonds? Anyway, I thought they made a great collage...

...and regarding petrol promotions (was it? I can't remember) can anybody help full in the gaps with this one? I think it was something like, you purchased your petrol and you got a voucher with a winning money amount - but it was only half the voucher, one had to either wait until you miraculously aquired the other half therough normal fuel purchases or use other methods to locate the matching half. Like advertise in newspapers, offering to split the winnings....

I remember those, no idea where they are now, mind. I got McStay after McStay; I was sick of the sight of the bugger.

...and regarding petrol promotions (was it? I can't remember) can anybody help full in the gaps with this one? I think it was something like, you purchased your petrol and you got a voucher with a winning money amount - but it was only half the voucher, one had to either wait until you miraculously aquired the other half therough normal fuel purchases or use other methods to locate the matching half. Like advertise in newspapers, offering to split the winnings....

God Yeah! I'd forgotten those!

Oldham Motor Co Petrol Station did them c1985, so I presume it was a Shell promotion.

The papers were full of personal ads offering the left half of a £10,000 ticket.

getting all retro now...

brute 33 -"slash it all over" ..henry cooper and kevin keegan

smash mash"and they peel them with their metal hands ha ha ha!"

brooke bond tea -"can yer ride tandum"

cinzano bianco with leonard rossiter and joan collins(cor!)

birds dream topping/angel delight

carling black label

double diamond

watneys party 4 pack / party seven

chopper / chipper bikes

cresta.."its frothy maan"

ladybird / reading to some purpose(rtsp) school books

betamax videos

vauxhall vivas

prize yoghurt "the prize guys"

colt 45 beer

foster grants

unigate milk "watch out,theres a humphrey about"

the galloping gourmet

rolfs stylophone(still available in HMV!)

arctic rolls

six million dollar man

8 track tapes

c&a

star jumpers

mastermind game

frisbees

evil knievil stunt rider toy

action man "with eagle eyes"

crackerjack pencils

jim'ill fix it medals

portable cassette recorders

anything by ronco..buttoneers

vesta chow mien (still bloody lovely!)

spirographs

etchasketch

monkey boots

fritz the cat

"is it live..or is it memorex?"

robertsons jams gollie badges

chivers jelly

space dust

old jamaica chocolate

spangles

rumba bar

texan bar

bazooka joe bubble gum

great list there eg monkey boots ,chopper bikes ,ladybird books ,hard to belive that i used to read them 40years ago ! i feel old now :lol: