Game off!

I'm like BB80, I'm a bit sceptical about the game being called off. We've had quite a few games on worse days (and nights) than this, yet got the game on. The temp never reached -4 last night, I arrived back hom at 4am this morning and it was -1 on my cars thermo.

Not only that, check out the vibes coming from the club site yesterday and today. "Don't anticipate any problems", "Frost covers on which should do the job" etc etc. I mean, for a couple of small patches of frost today, with the temp expectedly rising towards match tiems, couldn't they have chucked a load of hot water down on the frozen bits? Or go through that burning barrel routine like lots of other clubs do. It stinks IMO.

Wins for Gills and Brighton will cut us adrift today. It was imperitive we had the game on. It completely smacks of not enough being done to get this game on.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks to the driver of the black BMW with the OAFC number plate on the M180 who let us know the game was off. Mind you, pulling alongside us at 75mph and pulling his finger across his throat is perhaps not the best way of getting the message across. :lol:

Ha! Just seen this. Thanks for giving me a right old chortle! :grin:

Oh dear what? So they weren't on early enough to keep the heat in from earlier in the week, or they weren't put on properly.....no -4c last night. Hardy didn't anticipate any problems. Something went wrong.

I see you keep on persisting with this silly little claim they werent on early enough, or they weren`t on properly. Do tell me, what difference would it have made if they`d gone on Wednesday (like you suggested before). As i said in a previous post they were on by yesterday lunch-time, when the pitch wasn`t frozen. The temperatures last night froze the pitch, had the pitch froze prior to the covers going on i could understand, but the pitch was fine when the covers went on! The covers were on properly, they`ve been put on many times before, theres not much you can do wrong when putting them on. Why do people have to find someone to blame at the club. Why do people always have to suggest people can`t do there jobs within the club, i mean people have gone from slagging the players off to the groundsmen now!

Ive put afew things in bold for you to make it alittle easier to understand.

Many thanks to the driver of the black BMW with the OAFC number plate on the M180 who let us know the game was off. Mind you, pulling alongside us at 75mph and pulling his finger across his throat is perhaps not the best way of getting the message across. :lol:

:lol:

I see you keep on persisting with this silly little claim they werent on early enough, or they weren`t on properly. Do tell me, what difference would it have made if they`d gone on Wednesday (like you suggested before). As i said in a previous post they were on by yesterday lunch-time, when the pitch wasn`t frozen. The temperatures last night froze the pitch, had the pitch froze prior to the covers going on i could understand, but the pitch was fine when the covers went on! The covers were on properly, they`ve been put on many times before, theres not much you can do wrong when putting them on. Why do people have to find someone to blame at the club. Why do people always have to suggest people can`t do there jobs within the club, i mean people have gone from slagging the players off to the groundsmen now!

Well yes, we have put them on before but haven't we had a change of Groundsman recently? Apparently the official site is now claiming the covers only work to -2c!!! Hmmmm....really? Said -4c many times before. Also, they're saying it went down to -5c also. Hmmmm...really? Yet myself, FMS and a few others know full well it wasn't that cold last night.

Hey...if you're happy with it, good on you. Difference between your argument and mine is that we've had games on in worse conditions than these. Of course, put in bold to make it a little easier for you to understand!

Edited by boundaryblue80

The point is Kellys, we've had nights colder than last night yet the covers have worked and the game's been on. If our covers are supposed to be effective for temps up to and including -4 then something's not quite right. Now I'm pretty sure DP wanted the game on (given his job's well and truly on the line) but something just doesn't ring true. -1 it reach to last night, with a day of sun and rising temps to follow. Not only that the club through the website was pumping out messages of "don't worry, it should be on" all day.

Now myself, or BB80 aren't groundsmen, but myself I know when something isn't quite right.

I think the point is BB80/FMS - you can look for conspiracy, fine, but it's harsh to blame the groundsman who, as Kellys points out, did everything right in putting the covers on when he did.

Conspiracy is one thing, unfair blame is another.

Well yes, we have put them on before but haven't we had a change of Groundsman recently? Apparently the official site is now claiming the covers only work to -2c!!! Hmmmm....really? Said -4c many times before. Also, they're saying it went down to -5c also. Hmmmm...really? Yet myself, FMS and a few others know full well it wasn't that cold last night.

Do you? So you were stood on the pitch .. taking the temperature last night? If you went out and checked the temperature on your car for example, all the car shows is the air temperature .. not the ground temperature which will be colder! The ground frost will go down deeper than just the cold air thats around, and retain the cold. If they say the temperature went down to -5 then whay do they gain for lying? There losing out not to have a game on! Also, yes weve one new head groundsmen, but the other 2/3 groundsman have been here for a while now, well before the change of head groundsman so they know how the put the covers on.

Oh, and the different between my argument and yours is the fact i know what i`m talking about, i mean to start off with you ranted about the full pitch not being covered, when, infact it was :lol:

The point is Kellys, we've had nights colder than last night yet the covers have worked and the game's been on.

Forgive me if i`m wrong, just off the top of my head the last time the covers were on was Hartlepool last season wasn`t it? And the game was called off. Ofcourse weve played in worse, in years gone by football still went ahead with snow piled up around the terraces, and fans threw snowballs at the players (especially goalkeepers! :grin:!) but football has sadly moved on, and for the worse. Why is it that the club is at fault? Maybe they thought the pitch was playable yet the ref was alittle on the soft side and didnt fancy it?!

I think the point is BB80/FMS - you can look for conspiracy, fine, but it's harsh to blame the groundsman who, as Kellys points out, did everything right in putting the covers on when he did.

I'm not saying someone at the club didn't want the game on. But as the temperatures didn't rise above -2 last night, and it's been nice weather today (sun is beaming through my window right now) something's not right if the covers are supposed to be effective to temps up to -4. What other things could the club have done? With the temp getting to above zero this morning, what was up with throwing heated water down on the frozen spots? Enough to get the game started at least.

I'm sure the groundsman did his job. He needs to be rapping on the door of Alan Hardy demanding better covers then. They're obviously only effective for temperatures of up to zero/-1

I'm not saying someone at the club didn't want the game on. But as the temperatures didn't rise above -2 last night, and it's been nice weather today (sun is beaming through my window right now) something's not right if the covers are supposed to be effective to temps up to -4. What other things could the club have done? With the temp getting to above zero this morning, what was up with throwing heated water down on the frozen spots? Enough to get the game started at least.

I'm sure the groundsman did his job. He needs to be rapping on the door of Alan Hardy demanding better covers then. They're obviously only effective for temperatures of up to zero/-1

It's always the same areas of the pitch affected, so couldn't extra measures have been taken to make sure these areas were not affected ?

Gutted its off was looking forward to going - didnt think conditions would be that bad few others games are off now

FOOTBALL:Games at Watford, Oldham, Lincoln, Cheltenham, Rotherham and Chester all postponed

All these tuesday night games aint going to do us any favours what so ever - well annoyed

My hubby is a ST and works away mon-fri so, this is going to be another re-arranged mid week match that he is going to miss.

Means he has missed a number of games already this season - some already part of the fixture list others were not. He is now seriously think about NOT getting as ST next season as its not worth it for him

damn weather - act of god?....Didn't Billy Connelly Sue God in a movie?. think it was "the man who sued God" over weather.

hmmmm......

Forgive me if i`m wrong, just off the top of my head the last time the covers were on was Hartlepool last season wasn`t it? And the game was called off. Ofcourse weve played in worse, in years gone by football still went ahead with snow piled up around the terraces, and fans threw snowballs at the players (especially goalkeepers! :grin: !) but football has sadly moved on, and for the worse. Why is it that the club is at fault? Maybe they thought the pitch was playable yet the ref was alittle on the soft side and didnt fancy it?!

Maybe part of where I'm coming from is frustration, and also the fact that not playing gives Gillingham and Brighton chance to pull clear of us albeit with a couple of games in hand. I just feel that with 3 hours they could have got the pitch playable by heating those frozen spots.

Given the club's announcements generally had a "nothing to worry about, it'll be on" feel to them, perhaps we did have a fusspot ref.

Hey...if you're happy with it, good on you. Difference between your argument and mine is that we've had games on in worse conditions than these. Of course, put in bold to make it a little easier for you to understand!

Well have a go at the referee then, not the club

Ackey - a bit off beam but this is boring me - can you point out who is who (names from here would be good) on the photo, I know some faces from lonely away games in the past!

If it's not of interest to anyone else a PM will do.

Thanks

really? the Groundsman and Ref dont seem to think so

Hmmm. It only compounds things for me does that.

"The pitch covers only offered protection to minus two degrees, and clearly it was a lot colder than that overnight."

Doesn't the club bang on about how their covers are effective for temperatures of up to -4?

Groundsman Lee Williams explained: "The overnight forecast was for minus two which the covers would have handled, but the temperature dropped to minus five."

Minus 5 eh? A whole 4 degrees colder at BP than at my house in Hollinwood. It was minus 1 when I got home at 4am, I made a point of checking the temperature to gauge whether the game should be on.

Seems to me like others have alluded to, is that the area in front of the stand is mostly the problem. Can't we provide more covers than that?

As a side note, I'm not questioning the groundsman for his dedication. I do know he spend 24 hour shifts trying to get our ground fit during the recent freeze. Ultra important we got this game on today.

Gotta feel for some of the Oldham fans on route. My dad had got from Milton Keynes to Sheffield before I told him it was called off

I got off the train at Greenfield Station before I found out.

Another weak(er) Tuesday attendance to come.