Game off!

At 10:15am when buying tickets for Stockport and Tranmere "nothing to worry about" was still the official line and the Brentford kit man was already in BP doing his job.

The ref's decision has resulted in another pie-mountain uneaten and progamme-pile unsold. It never rains but it pours! :disappointed:

Popped down to buy my daughter a woolly hat about 12, so bought a programme (postponed games are the golden egg!) and they were worried, said it was frozen solid in front of the main stand - it was then I knew it would be off - the reason I would say the majority of home games have been called off over the last 15 years! Bring back Plastic Paradise!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popped down to buy my daughter a woolly hat about 12, so bought a programme (postponed games are the golden egg!) and they were worried, said it was frozen solid in front of the main stand - it was then I knew it would be off - the reason I would say the majority of home games have been called off over the last 15 years! Bring back Plastic Paradise!

Just like the drainage in the lower field, always been a problem Ted.

fast_show-ted_and_ralph.png

13th highest in england out of all leagues, not just professional

3rd highest in professional football

West Brom and who above?

(Wiki claims Port Vale - my numbers dispute this!)

1 The Hawthorns West Bromwich Albion 552

2 Boundary Park Oldham Athletic 526

3 Vale Park Port Vale 520

4 The Crown Ground Accrington Stanley 516

5 Moss Rose Macclesfield Town 513

6 Spotland Rochdale 498

7 Molineux Wolverhampton Wanderers 483

8 St Andrews Birmingham City 432

9 The Britannia Stadium Stoke City 431

10 Adams Park Wycombe Wanderers 413

Grimsby are the lowest:

1 Blundell Park Grimsby Town 2

2 St Marys Southampton 3

3 KC Stadium Hull City 6

4 The Deva Stadium Chester City 16

=5 Portman Road Ipswich Town 17

=5 Carrow Road Norwich City 17

7 York Street Boston United 18

8 The New Den Millwall 19

=9 Fratton Park Portsmouth 20

=9 Glanford Park Scunthorpe United 20

Edited by opinions4u

Interesting watching the Football League Show tonight! Notably the Brighton game...handheld hot-air heater on the pitch to get the game on....if only....

Yeah, noticed that Ross. But of course, it was down the south coast, where the temperature was much, much warmer than up here.

Yeah, noticed that Ross. But of course, it was down the south coast, where the temperature was much, much warmer than up here.

Yet the pitch looked quite frozen still...a few hours of that up and down? reckon it would've done the job...anyway...at least we know in future what to expect when it gets a little bit cold.

Away from BP and after treading on the hallowed Tate Street turf at 11;45, it came as no surprise that BP was also called off - although it is an amateur uncovered surface, i don't think i've ever stood on a harder grass pitch - obviously the frost was a tad cowder than the weather dudes had given it credit for.

Another thing to consider in all of your 'frostgate theories' - if the referee had deemed it hard and dangerous at 11 in the morning, it certainly wouldn't have been any better by 3-4 in the afternoon, when the temperatures drop again!!

Away from BP and after treading on the hallowed Tate Street turf at 11;45, it came as no surprise that BP was also called off - although it is an amateur uncovered surface, i don't think i've ever stood on a harder grass pitch - obviously the frost was a tad cowder than the weather dudes had given it credit for.

Another thing to consider in all of your 'frostgate theories' - if the referee had deemed it hard and dangerous at 11 in the morning, it certainly wouldn't have been any better by 3-4 in the afternoon, when the temperatures drop again!!

I think some people have already made their minds up re their frostgate conspiracy theories, and completely ignore fact that it was only forecast for -2, hence the club did not think there would be any need for heaters.....or that hot water can freeze faster than cold water....or that pouring hot water onto the pitch could do considerably more damage than good.....or any of the other frankly ridiculous measures some fans (or fans turned expert groundsmen should I say) think the club should have employed to get the game on. As I'm sure the club would really want the inevitable lower gate and loss of income that a postponement and tuesday night game would bring.

Ridiculous isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

I'm mostly pissed off that they posted a report that the pitch would be fine TBH. Wondered why we were the only c :censored: nts walking down Broadway at 2.30. FFS, if it's in doubt, say so. Don't say it will be OK!

My thoughts exactly. The report when i checked the website was that bits of the pitch were 'a little hard' but they weren't expecting any problems with the game going ahead. I'd already left the house when the report about the referee not being happy with the pitch went up,and didn't bother listening to GMR to check if it was still going ahead because there was no mention of any later pitch inspection. To make matters worse (and entirely my own fault, but still annoying) i missed the coach to Oldham and had to get the train to Piccadilly,and was already on the 182 when my brother texted me saying the game was off, so it cost me not far off £30 to make a wasted journey. I'm not having a go at the club or the groundsman,we're always going to lose a few games in the winter to frozen pitches,but they shouldn't have posted such a misleadingly optimistic report on the website. (wouldn't have happened on Ackey's watch. :wink: )

incidentally, while i was waiting for the bus back into Manchester, saw a copper wearing a t-shirt and a bulletproof vest. Aside from the fact that if it's freezing and you're wearing a t-shirt it's pneumonia that's gonna kill you rather than guns, do Brentford fans really have that much of a reputation to justify wearing bulletproof vests?

I think they might be 'stabproof' and mandatory to wear :wink:

though it still sounds like you'd had a pretty naff day.

On the bright side i headed back into Manchester to go for a pint with a mate,saw an old woman with a swallow tattooed on her face, and listened in horror while my mate told me about a sex dream she had about Frankie Boyle,which was considerably more entertaining than the match would have been.

On the bright side i headed back into Manchester to go for a pint with a mate,saw an old woman with a swallow tattooed on her face, and listened in horror while my mate told me about a sex dream she had about Frankie Boyle,which was considerably more entertaining than the match would have been.

:lol: and none of it was DPs fault either - good stuff.

Thank God I only dream about things like vampire-busting in Nazi Germany with Adolf's dad. Next to your mate, I'm normal.

What would bring this whole sorry episode to a close for me, would be reading a club statement that they'd recognised the in efficiencies in the frost covers, and had ordered some new thermal covers, and looked into a plan of action should they be caught off guard again.

Or will we just see a statement telling us how much the postponement has cost TTA again?

Gave up on this after one and a half pages. Seriously, who cares?

You care enough to comment. :wink:

You're right though, this one's pretty pointless now, unless the club ignore the inadequacies of their weatherproofing. Then it will just resurface again on a bigger scale.