If we go down the TTA is to blame

We had the chance to get rid of Penney and bring in a manager of the quality of Jim Gannon. We fanny around and keep Penney despite shocking results and his miraculous ability to turn last years midtable team in to a bottom 4 team. Whilst we let Penney destroy our team, the only manager out there with quality and within our reach is snapped up by a championship club. We have missed a trick yet again just like we did when we brought in Penney instead of Gannon in the first place. Typical Oldham, shambles. There are now no other suitable candidates to replace Penney so looks like were stuck with that clown and destined for league 2 BRILLIANT! :ranting:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty about:

Andy Ritchie

Brian Tinnion

Lee Duxbury

Luke Hagan

John Salako

Alan Shearer

Mark Cooper

:grin:

like i said no 'suitable candidates' all either unproven at this level, unproven at any level or poor managerial records.

dont you have a good memory or is it me ? didnt ritchie get a team Promoted out of this league :blink:

Plenty about:

Andy Ritchie No ta, he wasn't great last time hasn't really improved and as we saw with Joe never go back

Brian Tinnion Been out of work for ages- if he was that good he'd have been snapped up by now, Bristol City were a good side and he had a bit of money to spend and yet he couldn't get them close to promotion

Lee Duxbury Possibly, but I would have expected him to have applied when DP got the job may not be up to it

Luke Hagan Who? Or is this another of your aliases?

John Salako Not a chance, he has been retired for so long but never gone into management and if he does I think his first job will be for someone he's played for. Plus, do you honestly think we could pay him what Sky are paying him for watching football

Alan Shearer Are you being serious- not a hope in hell the messiah mark II is coming here. We are not the Barcodes. We definately can't afford to pay him what the license fee is paying him and I happen to know he is nice and settled in Geordieland

Mark Cooper Possibly- but there is a reason why a League 1 team have fired him after only 72 days, It wasn't like his old team were gettign promoted before he left.

As for Gannon, in a clash of egos between him and 2 of the owners who do you think is going to win? Yes he did well at Stockport but look how many of that team have gone on to better places. Not for me. Anyone else you care to mention? Martin Allen perhaps? He's got a reasonable record in this league but there is no way he would ever come here the self-righteous, hypocritical :censored: . What about the bloke who was at Notts County who was fired for not being Sven, Mcparland was it? Or how about Ronnie- he's more likely than some of the names you have mentioned. Nevermind some of the old pro's who might fancy a return to management (or even a first job) like Adams or Cole (both of which would be less favourable to DP but still more favourable and more likely to some of the names you have mentioned)

If we fire DP, (or even if we had fired him after loosing at Hartlepool), unless we had someone lined up straight away it would take a bit to appoint someone. Who is going to want to come to BP to save a team that doesn't really need saving (I can't see us being in the bottom 4 once all the games are equal) but run the risk of sending a team who no one thought was going to go down, down if things go ever so slightly wrong and without the ability to bring in the players we need as the transfer window is now shut (or would have been close to shutting).

We had the chance to get rid of Penney and bring in a manager of the quality of Jim Gannon. We fanny around and keep Penney despite shocking results and his miraculous ability to turn last years midtable team in to a bottom 4 team. Whilst we let Penney destroy our team, the only manager out there with quality and within our reach is snapped up by a championship club. We have missed a trick yet again just like we did when we brought in Penney instead of Gannon in the first place. Typical Oldham, shambles. There are now no other suitable candidates to replace Penney so looks like were stuck with that clown and destined for league 2 BRILLIANT! :ranting:

One word: Money.

Guest Scratch2000uk

If Gannon were the manager, he would have an OWTB forum account and would be on here telling you lot to get real, and to shut the f**k up. :wink:

We fanny around and keep Penney despite shocking results and his miraculous ability to turn last years midtable team in to a bottom 4 team.

I think you are being unfair with this statement.

Whilst the team did finish in midtable, the form for the last half of the season was that of a bottom four side. That being the case, then Dave has not made the team worse, but you could argue he has not made any demonstrable improvement either.

I personally would give any manager longer than pre-season and have a season to turn a club round, particularly when it appears as though there is less money around. Since the 'good form' of last season, we have lost a proven goal-scorer, and our best player (Taylor) has seen his form dip alarmingly. This is not going to be solved quickly.

Trying to take a more positive look at this season I would look at the defense. Many managers, pundits and fans say you start from the back when building a successful team. At the start of the season we looked very shakey and disorganised at the back and conceded some very poor goals. I think this has improved throughout the season, and the goals against column makes positive reading.

We obviously need to improve the goal-scoring department, but we are only a few more goals away from having a decent set of results. An extra goal in the last 15 matches would have seen us pick up another 15 points - so we are not that far away.

Then, give me one shread of proof.

Jim Gannon that was at Motherwell who were going for a place in Europe.

Jim Gannon that is going to Peterbrough, who are in the Championship, and is going to throw money at keeping them there or get them back up.

We were never within a millions miles, and so your thread it not seriosu, and you are deluided if you ever think we were even within a country mile of cobeing considered, by him.