3 more rows

Can we afford just a few more rows of seats in the stadium?

I've been doing a bit of maths and I reckon just 3 more rows of seats, requiring about 3 extra metres width on every stand, would bring us up to a much more acceptable maximum (4 corners filled in) stadium size of around 18,520 instead of the 16,000 in the plans.

4 extra rows would be even better and give us a max capacity of 19,360!

The maths for 3 extra rows (feel free to correct me):

I think it was Lags who said there were going to be 20 rows of seats in each stand and AH says the Phase 1 capacity with 4 separate stands will be around 12,000.

20 rows = 12,000 seats, therfore 1 row = 600 seats

3 rows = 1,800 seats

So 3 more rows ie 23 rows in every stand would bring the Phase One 4 separate stands configuration capacity up to 13,800 (12,000 + 1,800 = 13,800)

When filled in the corners will be 3 rows bigger as well so instead of the extra 1000 per corner lets say there will 1180. After all the 3 extra rows of seats will get longer and longer the further back they go.

With 2 corners filled in there will be 2 X 1,180 = 2,360 extra seats so the capacity will be 13,800 + 2,360 = 16,160.

With 4 corners filled in there will be 4 X 1,180 = 4,720 extra seats so the capacity will be 13,800 + 4,800 = 18,520, not bad.

4 extra rows (I wont bore you with the maths)

An extra 4 rows requiring about 4 metres extra width on each stand would give us.

4 stand capacity of 14,400

2 corners filled in 16,880

All 4 corners filled in 19,360.

What do people think?

They are all nice thoughts but ultimately pointless. No matter what the size of stadium we could all imagine making it that just little bit bigger.

More than happy with what is on the table. As long as there is a realistic option to expand the ground - not just based on success but on realistic local investment, then happy days.

Its been done to death - but I just cant ever see a situation where we wil be getting 16k+ ever in our future. Its enough.

They are all nice thoughts but ultimately pointless. No matter what the size of stadium we could all imagine making it that just little bit bigger.

More than happy with what is on the table. As long as there is a realistic option to expand the ground - not just based on success but on realistic local investment, then happy days.

Its been done to death - but I just cant ever see a situation where we wil be getting 16k+ ever in our future. Its enough.

Just not enough ambition......

Just not enough ambition......

One guy at the consultation session the other night was speaking to the Architect and was pretty disappointed that we had not gone for a 25,000 minimum stadium "because then if we got back to the Prem, we'd need that!" When I pointed out even when we were top of the Championship we only brought in between 11,000-18,000, and then when in the Prem we ranged from 8,000-18,000 (the crowds soon dipped in the second season once the floaters knew we were not winning every week) a 25,000 stadium would be a white elephant and a mill-stone round our neck and we could end like Darlington - he just wouldn't have it! Instead I pointed out that never mind the Premier League, 4th from bottom of the Championship is beyond our wildest dreams at the moment!

I've thought all along that 12,000 at the moment is more than adequate, if we can get the additional investment to bring it up to around 16,000 that will be more than enough.

I wonder if the unimpressed lad posts on here? He seemed depressed by it all.

We have a saying at school, "Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon!" That should be our club motto, much better than 'Keep The Faith! However, let's concentrate on staying up this year, improve the squad next year on a background of progressive moves to actually build the bloody thing!

For the time being the Prem is way out of our reach, not impossible but our aim should be mid-table Championship and 16,000 would be more than enough, from there anything is possible - look at the season Blackpool are having.

I've been doing a bit of maths and I reckon just 3 more rows of seats, requiring about 3 extra metres width on every stand, would bring us up to a much more acceptable maximum (4 corners filled in) stadium size of around 18,520 instead of the 16,000 in the plans.

I think it was Lags who said there were going to be 20 rows of seats in each stand and AH says the Phase 1 capacity with 4 separate stands will be around 12,000.

3 rows = 1,800 seats

So 3 more rows ie 23 rows in every stand would bring the Phase One 4 separate stands configuration capacity up to 13,800 (12,000 + 1,800 = 13,800)

When filled in the corners will be 3 rows bigger as well so instead of the extra 1000 per corner lets say there will 1180. After all the 3 extra rows of seats will get longer and longer the further back they go.

With 2 corners filled in there will be 2 X 1,180 = 2,360 extra seats so the capacity will be 13,800 + 2,360 = 16,160.

With 4 corners filled in there will be 4 X 1,180 = 4,720 extra seats so the capacity will be 13,800 + 4,800 = 18,520, not bad.

An extra 4 rows requiring about 4 metres extra width on each stand would give us.

What do people think?

The architect said the problem with expansion would be parking. If they increased the capacity they would also have to increase the parking, and anything beyond 16k, then the parking would start to eat into the area originally planned for the leisure facilities, unless they built a multi storey car park which would be v v expensive.

Although this thread is in danger of trigggerring the merge-o-matic...

Expansion beyond 16k would only be needed in the prem, which would bring it's own revenue to fund it if needed. As for parking, there's loads of crappy industrial units behind oldham rd which could be signed up for use with any expansion.

i was speaking to the architect, talking about the corners being filled in, because remember the pics you are seeing are false, the intial ground is just 4 stands and no corners, he suggested REMOVING the top two rows to accomidate the corners

i was speaking to the architect, talking about the corners being filled in, because remember the pics you are seeing are false, the intial ground is just 4 stands and no corners, he suggested REMOVING the top two rows to accomidate the corners

Sounds like a mis-understanding to me. Why would you need to remove the top 2 rows to add a corner? Maybe a few seats around the end of each stand or maybe that the corners would be 2 rows shallower, but seats more than 20 foot from the corner would have no impact on the structure in the corner, let alone those on the halfway line.

Mind you, so far we've got "I can't live wwithout corners, it's treason"; now we've got "we need 3 more rows".

Hells teeth, we're being offered a 12k stadium with some unique features thatreflect the clubs history, ok maybe 4 stands, but the expansion is not likely to be a problem from a planning perspective as it doesn't increase the shadow/height in any way.

3 rows = 1,800 seats

What do people think?

Hmmm considering the club may not be filling in the corners because of money, no we can't afford it.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Lovely maths and all, but why do we need more seats exactly? Who's going to sit in them? And, it's probably safe to suggest, "about 4 metres extra" might translate into a hefty increase in the amount of steel, concrete, copper, etc — and having spent a good chunk of two years just skimming the surface of understanding the amount of cost and effort and complexity involved in a major construction project, you'd be amazed at how much raw materials and labour can cost.

If there was good reason to think we'd need the space — even assuming we made it to the Prem — that might be something, but I can't see us filling 18,000+ seats in my lifetime, sadly.

Edited by Crusoe

One guy at the consultation session the other night was speaking to the Architect and was pretty disappointed that we had not gone for a 25,000 minimum stadium "because then if we got back to the Prem, we'd need that!" When I pointed out even when we were top of the Championship we only brought in between 11,000-18,000, and then when in the Prem we ranged from 8,000-18,000 (the crowds soon dipped in the second season once the floaters knew we were not winning every week) a 25,000 stadium would be a white elephant and a mill-stone round our neck and we could end like Darlington - he just wouldn't have it! Instead I pointed out that never mind the Premier League, 4th from bottom of the Championship is beyond our wildest dreams at the moment!

I've thought all along that 12,000 at the moment is more than adequate, if we can get the additional investment to bring it up to around 16,000 that will be more than enough.

I wonder if the unimpressed lad posts on here? He seemed depressed by it all.

We have a saying at school, "Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon!" That should be our club motto, much better than 'Keep The Faith! However, let's concentrate on staying up this year, improve the squad next year on a background of progressive moves to actually build the bloody thing!

For the time being the Prem is way out of our reach, not impossible but our aim should be mid-table Championship and 16,000 would be more than enough, from there anything is possible - look at the season Blackpool are having.

Agree with that. 12000 is all we need at the moment and if we do manage to get to the championship one day 16000 will be great. Also all these fans who point out that the club have said it is possible to add a 2nd tier but it will be expensive then I'll gladly point out the only time we will ever need a 2nd tier is if, by some miracle we do get to the prem, then it won't seem so expensive as we would pocket a nice £50 million and we could even add a 3rd tier just because we could, as we would have money pouring from our backsides and not have a clue what to do with it.

It seems like the consensus of opinion is that we don't need 3 more rows to increase the initial 4 separate stand capacity by 1,800 and the max capacity by 2,5000. So far fans will be happy with a maximum capacity of 16,000 for ever or should I say 12,000 forever.

1,800 extra seats in the 4 separate stands! That's almost 2 corners worth, and as apparently a corner cost as much as a full size stand to build, it sounds like a cheap phase one option to me. Mind you I'd still like to start with the horseshoe shape which with 3 extra rows would have a capacity of around 16,000.

Without it being looked into by the architects though, it will never be known if adding 3 more rows will cost effective or hike the price up so far that it is totally unjustified.

I think i'll drop AH and SC an email - you never know.

Edited by laticsrblue

It seems like the consensus of opinion is that we don't need 3 more rows to increase the initial 4 separate stand capacity by 1,800 and the max capacity by 2,5000. So far fans will be happy with a maximum capacity of 16,000 for ever or should I say 12,000 forever.

1,800 extra seats in the 4 separate stands! That's almost 2 corners worth, and as apparently a corner cost as much as a full size stand to build, it sounds like a cheap phase one option to me. Mind you I'd still like to start with the horseshoe shape which with 3 extra rows would have a capacity of around 16,000.

Without it being looked into by the architects though, it will never be known if adding 3 more rows will cost effective or hike the price up so far that it is totally unjustified.

I think i'll drop AH and SC an email - you never know.

When are we ever going to need more than 16k??

As I said before, I spoke to the architect re capacity. The stadium could theoretically be expanded to 25k (corners built in and extra tier built on all stands except main stand)

He said the problem is parking. You increase the capacity, you have to increase the parking, and we are talking on site parking. You build the stadium too big, the parking eats into the area where the leisure facilities have to go.

When are we ever going to need more than 16k??

As I said before, I spoke to the architect re capacity. The stadium could theoretically be expanded to 25k (corners built in and extra tier built on all stands except main stand)

He said the problem is parking. You increase the capacity, you have to increase the parking, and we are talking on site parking. You build the stadium too big, the parking eats into the area where the leisure facilities have to go.

I think 16000 would be more than adequate, let's hope we get the stadium we want from the start because IMO whatever we start off with will be with us for the foreseable future, i think expansion would be very unlikely.

We need these talks with the prospective partners to fund the inclusion of the corners to succeed very soon or i fear that ship will have sailed.