Dave Penney

With a :censored: CV like that he probably only wants five-bob and a free pie.

:rolleyes:

Don't you mean with a :censored: CV like that...

Going back to the original post/how good is Ritchie debate? I don't think we should fire Penney, after all who is going to replace him? How different are the players going to be? How are we going to afford his and his associates pay-off? In hindsight was he the right man for the job who was available and willing to come- probably not, but he is good at doing what shez was naff at doing (have we been in the news for player scandal this year)? Yet, because he was appointed he has become the right man for the job until longer has gone by. I wouldn't be surprised if his contract didn't include a wage drop (minimum) if we go down, if we are in a similar/worse position this November would I expect the owners to let him leave by mutual consent- Yes I would but I currently have faith that we won't be.

Ritchie was not great (in fact I think he was worse than Penney) when he was appointed manager here after Colin left, he may have gotten better since but I doubt it is significantly so. What has he been doing for the past 2 and a bit years since he was fired from Udders? Commentating on Radio Leeds I don't think he will have voluntarily spent that long out of management if he was any good.

Latics fans need to remember that nostalgia doesn't mean success and after the success (or more accurately the lack of it) of Big Joe's return I can't see the owners making the same mistake twice- but you never know.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fair comments otherwise. Fact remains that ALL DP's success has been when he has enjoyed a large budget. You don't think AR could match his 'achievements' given his circumstances?

Ahh, if only football was as simple as turning a sack of money into a team that walks the league.

In hindsight was he the right man for the job who was available and willing to come- probably not, but he is good at doing what shez was naff at doing (have we been in the news for player scandal this year)?

Oh for god's sake, do me a favour and stop being so wet.

*squeeky voice*

"Oooo, we might be rubbish, mired in a relegation fight infront of all-time low crowds, but at least there hasn't been any player scandals."

I'd prefer some player scandals as opposed to having to take solace in the fact there hasn't been any. At least they would drum up some interest in what is currently a pretty dreary club. If it wasn't for the new stadium we'd probably be the dreariest club in the entire football league. What do they say? No such thing as bad press?

Ritchie was not great (in fact I think he was worse than Penney)

Jesus.

Ahh, if only football was as simple as turning a sack of money into a team that walks the league.

If only it wasn't, don't you mean? :unsure:

Oh for god's sake, do me a favour and stop being so wet.

*squeeky voice*

"Oooo, we might be rubbish, mired in a relegation fight infront of all-time low crowds, but at least there hasn't been any player scandals."

I'd prefer some player scandals as opposed to having to take solace in the fact there hasn't been any. At least they would drum up some interest in what is currently a pretty dreary club. If it wasn't for the new stadium we'd probably be the dreariest club in the entire football league. What do they say? No such thing as bad press?

Jesus.

If only it wasn't, don't you mean? :unsure:

I must have missed this post a couple of days ago but me being wet, :censored: off. I will call a spade a spade and I'm not the one blinded by some sense of nostalgia who thinks Andy Ritchie is the best manager in the universe just because he was a pretty good player in his day. It was obvious the owners wanted someone to control the dressing room- whoever said there is no such thing as bad press is quite frankly an idiot, and I could give examples. Even if that were the case I can't see a club who can't keep out of the news pages attracting oodles of investment. DP has controlled the dressing room, which is one of the reasons the owners hired him. Yes this is deary and boring but then again maybe you're one of the posters that likes a bit of scandal so you can act all "The Big I am" by knowing somethin that others don't, grow up.

Remind me where did Ricthie finish? As I really remember us being appalling when he was the manager, in his first season we finished in 20th 1 point clear of going down. The next two seasons we were comfortably bottom half- I think DP will do better (he's certainly doing better at the moment). So tell me how is Ritchie an obviously better manager than DP that for anyone to suggest otherwise is beyond belief?

I must have missed this post a couple of days ago but me being wet, :censored: off. I will call a spade a spade and I'm not the one blinded by some sense of nostalgia who thinks Andy Ritchie is the best manager in the universe just because he was a pretty good player in his day. It was obvious the owners wanted someone to control the dressing room- whoever said there is no such thing as bad press is quite frankly an idiot, and I could give examples. Even if that were the case I can't see a club who can't keep out of the news pages attracting oodles of investment. DP has controlled the dressing room, which is one of the reasons the owners hired him. Yes this is deary and boring but then again maybe you're one of the posters that likes a bit of scandal so you can act all "The Big I am" by knowing somethin that others don't, grow up.

Remind me where did Ricthie finish? As I really remember us being appalling when he was the manager, in his first season we finished in 20th 1 point clear of going down. The next two seasons we were comfortably bottom half- I think DP will do better (he's certainly doing better at the moment). So tell me how is Ritchie an obviously better manager than DP that for anyone to suggest otherwise is beyond belief?

You're wasting your time with that herbert mate, Stitch kfc is obviously from the 'I'm not gonna let the facts get in the way of my opinions' school, I can't take guys like him seriously at all, they're just so funny.

I see he had a little dig at you with his 'wet' insult..he warned me against making 'petty jibes against fellow posters', I think he said something like it's an indication you've lost the argument if you resort to that sort of thing. So not only has he admitted he's lost this particular argument he's also a hypocrite :)

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Great result today eh stitch?

Was pleasing to see your post praising Dave Penney and the team...oh wait, there wasn't one. :disappointed:

I know you're happy for him really though :wink:

I didn't bother going - his tenure has been the one to drive me away after years of blind allegiance.

I did listen to it on Latics World however, which shows an upturn in interest. Good result. :)

You're wasting your time with that herbert mate, Stitch kfc is obviously from the 'I'm not gonna let the facts get in the way of my opinions' school, I can't take guys like him seriously at all, they're just so funny.

I see he had a little dig at you with his 'wet' insult..he warned me against making 'petty jibes against fellow posters', I think he said something like it's an indication you've lost the argument if you resort to that sort of thing. So not only has he admitted he's lost this particular argument he's also a hypocrite :)

I didn't warn you against anything old man.

Now, with all respect, you haven't been around this board long enough to appreciate what I'm about. I'm confident a lot of established and worthwhile posters would contest your first paragraph. You see I actually tend to take a factual and analytical approach which, without reading back, could well be a claim substantiated within the thread above.

Now, Hanky baby, why don't you run along and and point out to other posters that we couldn't attract a player like Wayne Rooney. :whoosh:

I must have missed this post a couple of days ago but me being wet, :censored: off. I will call a spade a spade :blahblah:

I too call a spade a spade, which explains why I called you wet.

*squeeky voice*

Circumstances Rude Boi, circumstances.

"Now, with all respect, you haven't been around this board long enough to appreciate what I'm about. I'm confident a lot of established and worthwhile posters would contest your first paragraph. You see I actually tend to take a factual and analytical approach which, without reading back, could well be a claim substantiated within the thread above.

Now, Hanky baby, why don't you run along and and point out to other posters that we couldn't attract a player like Wayne Rooney. :whoosh:"

'Factual and analytical approach' eh? hmmmmm...so where's your facts that proves I haven't 'been around this board for long?' I've been a guest here for ages matey, and even if I hadn't Id've only needed to read a couple of your posts to know exactly what your about, and it's not the high esteem you obviously hold yourself in ...so once again your talking :censored:

Finally Stitchypoo, why don't you toddle off and drone on, sorry, explain why 'circumstances' prove that a manager who's won one promotion and been sacked three times is better than a guy who's been promoted twice and hasn't been sacked at all. :D

Edited by Hank Kingsley

"Now, with all respect, you haven't been around this board long enough to appreciate what I'm about. I'm confident a lot of established and worthwhile posters would contest your first paragraph. You see I actually tend to take a factual and analytical approach which, without reading back, could well be a claim substantiated within the thread above.

Now, Hanky baby, why don't you run along and and point out to other posters that we couldn't attract a player like Wayne Rooney. :whoosh:"

'Factual and analytical approach' eh? hmmmmm...so where's your facts that proves I haven't 'been around this board for long?' I've been a guest here for ages matey, and even if I hadn't Id've only needed to read a couple of your posts to know exactly what your about, and it's not the high esteem you obviously hold yourself in ...so once again your talking :censored:

Finally Stitchypoo, why don't you toddle off and drone on, sorry, explain why 'circumstances' prove that a manager who's won one promotion and been sacked three times is better than a guy who's been promoted twice and hasn't been sacked at all. :D

Did Doncaster not sack Penny?

'Factual and analytical approach' eh? hmmmmm...so where's your facts that proves I haven't 'been around this board for long?'

It's right there under your username Hank. As far as I could tell that was pretty factual.

Now please stop bothering me. I find your simplistic 'black or white' debating skills to be even more boring than I do frustrating.

If you're stuck for something to do then maybe you could navigate to the scoring charts and come back with a comprehensive and definitive list of the best strikers in England. Dave may just appreciate your efforts.

It's right there under your username Hank. As far as I could tell that was pretty factual.

Now please stop bothering me. I find your simplistic 'black or white' debating skills to be even more boring than I do frustrating.

If you're stuck for something to do then maybe you could navigate to the scoring charts and come back with a comprehensive and definitive list of the best strikers in England. Dave may just appreciate your efforts.

If you'd actually read my messages instead of distorting them to reinforce your amazingly high opinion of yourself then you'd see that I said I'd been around for ages as a guest. So your.....prepare yourself for a shock....WRONG, mister fact dealer-inner :wink:

Please explain why the 'circumstances' prove Ritchie's a better manager than Penney.

I can't f*****g wait for that one, :laught16:

If you'd actually read my messages instead of distorting them to reinforce your amazingly high opinion of yourself then you'd see that I said I'd been around for ages as a guest. So your.....prepare yourself for a shock....WRONG, mister fact dealer-inner :wink:

Please explain why the 'circumstances' prove Ritchie's a better manager than Penney.

I can't f*****g wait for that one, :laught16:

For crying out loud.

You're an idiot, which is shameful given your age. And yes, this means that you have won our 'debate'. :applause1:

I should leave it there, but seeing as I can't resist (despite my high opinion of myself I'm fully aware that I'm a Last Word Willy - it's a common trait of us know alls), you only claimed to have been around as a guest* after asking how I knew how long you'd been on OWTB, for what it's worth. :petesake:

There's no need to wait either, Hanky baby, the 'circumstances' have already been explained while many are self-explanatory. Not that these circumstances 'prove' Andy Ritchie to be a better manager, of course. The circumstances were only ever the basis for my opinion that Ritchie would be a suitable candidate to manage Latics, particularly when compared to Dave Penney, which was an opinion offered only in retaliation to Lookers Carl's snide, unprompted and unjust, in my opinion, remark about the great man. So who's distorting messages now, you hypcorite?

Any luck finding England's new number 9 in the North West Counties League yet?

* since when can guests read this forum?

Blimey, you two are sounding like oafc0000 when he went off on one :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was none other than the annoying one himself reincarnated. Hank would seem to have that irrational, say whatever suits before resorting to insults when you end up looking a dumb :censored: attitude that I thought only 0000 could portray.

P.S To be fair to 0000, I actually think he's been a decent poster for a little while now. And no, I don't only mean since 'retirement'. :lol:

Ritchie had a lot lower budget to work with than DP.

Ritchie had us playing to look to win instead of this 10 men behind the ball rubbish DP uses and all his excuses he comes up with