The rarely wrong Birmingham Mail

I'm glad you've taken great delight, but I always thought that we were actually third after Port Vale!

Vale are 3rd according to this linky although Wiki say Latics are third!

It depends on whether its the height or altitude you consider.

Height = us 3rd

Altitude = us 2nd

However if i am wrong (dont think i am tho) you can all gloat and tell me am wrong & stupid. :grin:

l thought we were the second highest but there is a bit of confusion about the topic.

I can't understand why there is any confusion.

Official OS topograph maps state the following heights at Centre spot:

West Brom = 561 feet

Port Vale = 541 feet

Oldham Athletic = 531 feet.

Incidentally, the Failsworth site is 308 feet above sea level, which will place it a lot lower than many grounds, including Rochdale (492ft), Blackburn (354ft), Halifax (413ft), Burnley (403ft) and Accrington (508ft).

The highest point of Boundary Park (i.e the top of the floodlights) was quite likely higher than the highest points of The Hawthorns and Vale park, who both have relatively low floodlights, so if we were to include 450 foot floodlights at Failsworth we could claim to have the highest point of any UK football ground.

Back to ground level at Failsworth, although the area might have some other fame to claim for Latics, closest ground to another Borough perhaps ? :wink:

That's got me wondering which two grounds in England are closest to each other?

Would it be Liverpool and Everton?

Latics and city wouldn't be far off being closest.

Perhaps the new ground will be the only one in the UK with a tram that goes straight past without stopping.

Perhaps the new ground will be the only one in the UK with a tram that goes straight past without stopping.

Forest and County?

Pity you asked England because. if you'd said Britain, have you seen how close Dundee & Dundee Utd are? It's about a 3 minute walk, and a slow one at that. In England, Chelsea & Fulham are pretty close.

Reason for edit: I should have opened and read the link before I mentioned Scotland!

Edited by Bristolatic

I can't understand why there is any confusion.

Official OS topograph maps state the following heights at Centre spot:

West Brom = 561 feet

Port Vale = 541 feet

Oldham Athletic = 531 feet.

Incidentally, the Failsworth site is 308 feet above sea level, which will place it a lot lower than many grounds, including Rochdale (492ft), Blackburn (354ft), Halifax (413ft), Burnley (403ft) and Accrington (508ft).

The highest point of Boundary Park (i.e the top of the floodlights) was quite likely higher than the highest points of The Hawthorns and Vale park, who both have relatively low floodlights, so if we were to include 450 foot floodlights at Failsworth we could claim to have the highest point of any UK football ground.

I think that all footballs grounds much change height with the amount of sand put on them, as somewhere else has listed the altitiude an has us 4th

West Bromwich Albion at 551 feet. Port Vale's ground is at 525 feet, Accrington Stanley 515 feet and Oldham Athletic at 509 feet.

We should not moan, it's only 5-10 mins walk to both Dean Lane and Failsworth, Peterhead is the furthest from a station; Aberdeen is 32 miles! or about a 380 minute/ 6.5 hour walk!!

We should not moan, it's only 5-10 mins walk to both Dean Lane and Failsworth, Peterhead is the furthest from a station; Aberdeen is 32 miles! or about a 380 minute/ 6.5 hour walk!!

It's certainly a lot closer than Werneth is to us at the moment. Not that that will pacify those who want us to spend another £500k on a platform.

By the way, thanks for a more constructive reply than O4U's "Err, ok...." which is hardly the opinion of an intelligent poster.