Today's Performance

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think penney might have been right to delay it becuase we were winning and fairly comfortable. it gave him chance to see smalley and how good he was. he didnt impress and he was subbed to give colbeck a little run. i cant see smalley featuring in the next game

Ive been saying that for weeks, but he starts every game. He was awful today. Yet again.

I was impressed with the performance today. We defended when we needed to (which wasn't that often if truth be told) and we attacked well and could quite easily have scored 5 or 6 goals.

I liked the look of Jason Price and him and Abbott linked up well on a few occasions.

PS. Those who were singing "you don't know what you're doing" to DP when he took furman off, get a grip you fools!

thoroughly enjoyed todays game we looked comfortable , Spreyed the ball about.. some loverly one two's

and a genuine desire to win. Ok so walsall where poor, but these where the games that we usually loose or draw,

Didn't agree with the substitution a poor poor decision but hey ho who am i to judge a manager that has the qualifications..

this is the turning point get parker wanting to play for us and we will soon be up there or there about's well done david ..mission complete :grin: :grin:

Defensively we looked good, untroubled by a :censored:e side who should, on that form, make a late surge down the table.

Agreed

One player who looks good on the ball is Jacobsen, but the game was screaming out for an overlap down that side and it never came. After we scored he barely passed the halfway line - I'll assume that was manager's instructions, but up to that point he never worked with Taylor to stretch the opposition up the pitch.

In the first half Taylor kept ignoring his overlap, turning inside and often losing the ball or running into trouble.

Stephens is a gem and his delivery of a dead ball will get us half a dozen goals before the end of the campaign. Furman played well too and Taylor looked like he was moving back towards fitness and another couple of games (if he can manage it) could see his full form return too.

Agreed

Smalley's not up to it at the moment. Makes the wrong decision too many times, doesn't look like he will ever get a cross in and doesn't seem to use his pace to effect once he's in the box. I hope the coaches can work with him to change the small things that are wrong. If they don't a promising career my never develop.

Very agreed. He lacks, confidence, brains, and bottle at present. I think we could be seeing the end of his career at Latics

Price looked a menace with a nice touch, but gave the midfield an alternative outlet to Pav that's been missing all season. If the ball had been kinder in the bounce a couple of times he'd have hit the net today. Pav was quiet, but then popped up in the right place when it mattered.

Yep

First half we were great. The passing was slick, just a bit rusty when they got nosebleeds around the Walsall penalty area. Second half ok. Walsall were nothing special (Westlake and Byfield barely noticeable - sounds familiar!), but that's an important 3 points on the board on a day when a lot of teams around us failed to win.

Yep again

No, it was just the fact that everybody in the ground could see that it was Smalley who should have been taken off.

Wrong, I also thought that he should have taken Furman off so there were presumably at least 3 of us in the ground me Penney and Gray.

There seems to be an assumption that you always take off the worst performing player, today he was obviously trying to change tactics and give us a more attacking set up and it worked, well done Dave today. There are signs that we are starting to attack a bit more so lets hope it continues and we have a etter product to watch.

Maybe harsh on taking Furman off today who played reasonably well. But lets look at it more closely, out of the two central midfield pair who does he take off? Stephens or Furman. At the time it's 0-0 in a game where we've been the better side and looking for that goal we deserve. Furman doesn't net and whilst Casper has his many faults he scores more than Furman. For me that's the decision that's been made.

I do think however the Colbeck for Smalley sub should have been made earlier than what it was.

I like Smalley but didn't spot him at the start of the match due to his new hippy haircut, I thought he had been dropped which after the way he has been playing I agreed with. Would have liked Colbeck to come on sooner and give Deano a run in the ressies, is he carrying a knock???

The last straw coming moments before Colbeck came on (wrongly for Furman, who was decent) when he bottled out of a challenge which he was clear favourite to win.

Disagree here J and with most of the crowd that booed, don't think anything was to be gained by him winning the challenge, he would have had his body out of shape, been off balance and there were other defenders, he pulled out, the defender didn't and we won a throw-in from the defender. This put us in a better position than if we had won the challenge.

There seems to be an assumption that you always take off the worst performing player, today he was obviously trying to change tactics and give us a more attacking set up and it worked, well done Dave today.

Bloody hell, I'm not the only one that thinks like this! It isn't football manager where you take the ones on 6 off and praise the ones on an 8, Furman had been putting himself about and had a few clatterings, he could have been carrying a knock and we have a lot more games to be played this season. Furman playing like he did today will play a big part in those, man of the match for me for commitment alone which has been lacking from his game as well as most this season.

Great win today, smile on the face and a spring in my step.

Why the hell were there boos at half time? and the "We want Penney out" brigade, get a bloody grip.

Furman was playing well but i get the feeling that DP could have taken absolutely anyone off and the reaction would have been the same

no, everyone was expecting Smaley to come of due to him doing a Keigan Parker impression.

instead he took off Furman who was having his best game since coming to the club.

Sorry if he had taken Taylor off I would not have questioned it...he had a nothing game again and I'm a Chrissy fan.

i thought taylor had a half decent game today.

granted it was nowhere near what he's capable of but a massive step in the right direction

no, everyone was expecting Smaley to come of due to him doing a Keigan Parker impression.

instead he took off Furman who was having his best game since coming to the club.

Again I think this decision comes back to the reason I gave above. Even though for me currently Smalley doesn't deserve his place in the side we were chasing a goal we deserved in the match. Smalley could with his height on a set piece or a cross grab it before Furman.

But like others have said, whitaker is more likely to score than furman and as it was 0-0 at the time i can see why he took furman off. It paid off as we went on to win the game.

It was a strange decision, considering he was clearly the best player on the pitch today.

The people who need to get a grip are the ones telling the ref to send Smalley off because "he can't play football". He had a fairly decent game today; I'm not a huge fan of his, but even the hardest-nosed player would struggle to improve after being subjected to such nonsense. It felt like a case of "typical Latics fans", always looking to have a pop at the youngsters for some unknown reason.

smalley second half was woefull..he didnt fancy it one bit so much so that he kept pulling up holding his leg and groin,telling players not to pass to him etc etc....then when dave didnt notice fully sprinted 30 yards to keep the ball in,then went back to acting....no way should furman have come off,smalley should have simple....

taylor first half looked like a lazy cant be arsed dont want to know player,knew he could beat the defender yet only went down to the touchline once,always kept coming inside instead of skinning there man and crossing,,,glad to see second half he pulled his finger out and actually ran at the defenders...thought he looked like a big girls blouse though when we scored running to halfway line then crying again....

jason price is a decent signing,hope we can keep him rest of season,his hold up play and flick ons and layoffs are class,and brings other players into the game and can put his foot in.

at the end of the day a win is a win and 3 vital points,we should have scored a hatfull really but im sure it will come,walsall were dreadfull,against a different team we could of been ripped a new one playing like that...

Why the hell were there boos at half time? and the "We want Penney out" brigade, get a bloody grip.

Very good question..they must all be sat at home gutted now cos we played well and won. At least it might give everyone a rest from the tiresome Andy Ritchie Fan Club for a few days.

Would be nice if they had the class to come on here and acknowledge the performance which was in no small part down to the manager's tactics as well as excellent contributions from Price, Furman & Jacobsen...all Penney's signings.

Yep, they must be spewing.

But like others have said, whitaker is more likely to score than furman and as it was 0-0 at the time i can see why he took furman off. It paid off as we went on to win the game.

no-one was less likely to score/tackle/create than Smalley.

i though DW was coming on for him.

as you say we won - that's why DP's a manager and I'm not :grin:

Today's game wasn't a good one - no getting away from that.

But I thought we looked decent (ish)...solid at the back, passing was generally tidy enough, fairly attacking in style, but just not slick or clever enough upfront - and that's not a criticism of Price or Abbot, who I thought both did ok... it's probably more of a criticism of the attacking play of our wide men who didn't do enough for me, although both Smalley and Taylor showed glimpses, more so Taylor.

Some will probably not agree with me when I say this, but I thought a very poor show from Walsall actually dragged us down today. They did nothing at all. If we'd played against a team who actually attacked today we might have seen a more exciting, open game and hence a bit more in the way of the entertaining stuff from Oldham. All in all though, job done.

As for the atmosphere and crowd - very poor, but then I am afraid it's what we've come to expect over the last ten to fifteen years at BP, bar the odd big game here and there - a crying shame for those of us who witnessed first hand what a noise the Oldham fans could make back at BP when we were good 20 years ago.

Wrong, I also thought that he should have taken Furman off so there were presumably at least 3 of us in the ground me Penney and Gray.

There seems to be an assumption that you always take off the worst performing player, today he was obviously trying to change tactics and give us a more attacking set up and it worked, well done Dave today. There are signs that we are starting to attack a bit more so lets hope it continues and we have a etter product to watch.

i so wanted whitaker to score the winner just to shut them all up