Post Game Thread: Colchester United

1-0 isn't a bad result.

I reckon if we can get the same at Elland Road on a Tuesday night wouldn't be bad either then all hands on deck at home next Saturday and try for a point.

Firstly, a loss is a bad result no matter what-typical oldham mentality. Secondly, lose one nil at elland road? Didn't you say all we could hope to achieve is an arse whooping? Still waiting for clarification on what constitutes an arse whooping, by the way ;)

Edited by laticsmad

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before and I say it again....

If you cannot score goals you lose games 1-0 even if you do not deserve to

True, but although I wasn't at the Walsall game, by all accounts and from the highlights we created plenty of clear cut chances. That's generally been the problem this season, creating chances, so if we can continue to do that we should turn this season around no problem. We were playing a very good team away from home today and we contained them for much of the game and looked half decent ourselves. Leeds may turn out to be a similar story, but these aren't games you expect to take anything from anyway.

Bringbackronniemoore,

Nothing is impossible! I guess you have a short memory or you wasn't there when we beat Everton at Goodison Park with what was not much better than a youth team. Remember, anything is possible :wink:

p.s. By the way, I'm still waiting for clarification on what constitutes an 'arse whooping'? :wink:

I'm going to predict 2-0 to Leeds.

For those who have difficulty dealing with probability, that is because I think it is the most likely result. It doesn't mean I think there is absolutely zero chance of us getting a result, just that it's highly unlikely. Nor does it mean I should or will feel any shame about making that prediction should it turn out to be wrong. Just because something is likely doesn't make it certain.

I would say an arse whooping would be 3-0 upwards. I don't think that will happen, but it might be slightly less unlikely than us getting a result.

Bringbackronniemoore,

Nothing is impossible! I guess you have a short memory or you wasn't there when we beat Everton at Goodison Park with what was not much better than a youth team. Remember, anything is possible :wink:

p.s. By the way, I'm still waiting for clarification on what constitutes an 'arse whooping'? :wink:

Just because we beat Everton once doesn't make us favourites to win away matches against good teams.

I'm not saying it's impossible....but it's unlikely we'll win with the quality Leeds have and our lack of quality at creating and scoring goals. If you want to use Everton as an example of why we'll go to Elland Road and win, I'll use a more recent away performance to indicate why I think we won't win...hmmm.....how about Colchester about just a couple of hours ago, we had some chances and didn't take them, and that was against a team which aren't as good as Leeds.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

For those who have difficulty dealing with probability, that is because I think it is the most likely result. It doesn't mean I think there is absolutely zero chance of us getting a result, just that it's highly unlikely. Nor does it mean I should or will feel any shame about making that prediction should it turn out to be wrong. Just because something is likely doesn't make it certain.

I would say an arse whooping would be 3-0 upwards. I don't think that will happen, but it might be slightly less unlikely than us getting a result.

You said all we can hope for is an arse whooping! I can quote you if you like, or are you changing your mind :wink:

Just because we beat Everton once doesn't make us favourites to win away matches against good teams.

I'm not saying it's impossible....but it's unlikely we'll win with the quality Leeds have and our lack of quality at creating and scoring goals. If you want to use Everton as an example of why we'll go to Elland Road and win, I'll use a more recent away performance to indicate why I think we won't win...hmmm.....how about Colchester about just a couple of hours ago, we had some chances and didn't take them, and that was against a team which aren't as good as Leeds.

Who said anything about us being favourates! Going into the Everton game we were on poor run of form and it was a much bigger shock than if we were to beat leeds. Hey finally your coming around to it being highly unlikely that we will get a result. Next thing you know you will be predicting a 5 nil win in favour of latics :wink:

Lesson of the day laddie, anything is possible ;)

Edited by laticsmad

1-0 isn't a bad result.

I reckon if we can get the same at Elland Road on a Tuesday night wouldn't be bad either then all hands on deck at home next Saturday and try for a point.

WTF, a loss of any description is a bad result, end of.

Are you also saying you would take a 1-0 defeat at Leeds if it was offered, words fail me. :petesake:

Depends on the mentality of us going there. If we do the typical 10 men behind the ball and play from the first minute onwards for a 0-0 draw, we'll get drubbed.

Go out and try and be positive for once and play at a decent tempo against a team struggling at the moment and we have a slight chance.

WTF, a loss of any description is a bad result, end of.

Are you also saying you would take a 1-0 defeat at Leeds if it was offered, words fail me. :petesake:

Likewise :blink:

I'm not into this damage limitation malarky. By all means get out there and frustrate Leeds, but lets show some intent for a goal; especially if we've already conceded.

Likewise :blink:

I'm not into this damage limitation malarky. By all means get out there and frustrate Leeds, but lets show some intent for a goal; especially if we've already conceded.

From speaking to the players I'm still in contact with I can assure you that they're going into every one of these games looking for the win.

In fact, like others, I at one point said 3 or 4 points would be respectable from the Colchester-Leeds-Norwich games and was bluntly told they were looking for 9.

Despite what many seem to insist the effort and ambition is there.

It sounded like we really deserved a point today but its the old clichey of the luck going against you st the bottom and the post and mud stopped us today. Happy with what sounded like a good performance though

I'm sick of good performances............it's goals we want and 3/4 way through the season it ain't down to luck!!!

1-0 isn't a bad result.

I agree....... lets lose 1 nil all season "it wont be that bad". BBRM you need your head testing. You obviously dont go???

Haven't read the thread and having to type very carefully. We're bad, but we're no worse than Colchester.

'THERE'S ONLY ONE GUNNAR HALLE'

:lol:

just on the iPhone, And will post fully later, but three quick points -

1. How that pitch is allowed in any type of proffessional football is ridiculous. Even spoke to quite a few Colchester fans who were both apologetic and embarrased by it.

2. Terrible game, equal sides, the only reason why they are near the top is better luck than us, IMO.

3. First time I've been to the stadium, liked it, I know some people won't like to hear it, but It us a million times better than BP.

Generally we have not lost heavily this season, I think we have only lost by 3 goals once. Mostly we lose by the odd goal.

Having seen the BBC clip of the Col Utd game, we created chances but did not take them. Similar to the win against Walsall, in that we spurned a lot of chances, but were fortunate we got the one goal.

So the performances are probably equal, and a bit of luck, a bit more confidence from the strikers and we'll start picking up enough points to be comfortable by the middle of April I predict.

In November / December / January we were not scoring in a lot of games, and to be honest not looking like we could. Now we are playing better football, creating chances, maintaing a decent defense - this should deliver enough points.

As for Leeds? They are a very good League One side, at home, and the bookies will have them as strong favrouties. However we are playing better, tend to rise to the bigger games, have a good record at home, and as the Leeds fans say at work they are playinh badly and it doesn't take a lot at the moment for that 'big home crowd' to turn against them.

Leeds still favourites, but I think that our chances are probably a little better than it would seem on paper.