Worst Rumour Ever?

Funniest rumour i've heard for a while, Gregan is on 10k a week. Where do these people make these things up from? Anyone else heard this dross?

Does that mean Dean 'highest paid player' Brill is on 20k? ha ha

some people sat behind me were saying brills our highest paid player..and taylors on a mint.....but greegs took a pay cut so all is well...

very funny listening to them

£10k a month might not be far off the mark.

Perhaps he got a rise when he extended his contract recently?

As I understood it, his previous contract was a complicated one that started off high and decreased over the term, meaning he wasn't taking a huge hit the year Leeds stopped paying most of his wages but he was on a lot less at the end in return for getting the length of contract he did. I don't know but I would be surprised if he was on that much now, it would be an awful lot for a CB in the third division.

As I understood it, his previous contract was a complicated one that started off high and decreased over the term, meaning he wasn't taking a huge hit the year Leeds stopped paying most of his wages but he was on a lot less at the end in return for getting the length of contract he did. I don't know but I would be surprised if he was on that much now, it would be an awful lot for a CB in the third division.

Yup, could well be right.

Just trying to rationalise some of the nonsense spoken on the terraces.

It could well have related to what he was earning when he joined from Leeds, with them paying a huge chunk of it.

I don't actually have a clue what he'd be on ... the £1,600 a week figure paid to Lee Hughes is about my only benchmark, oh, and a Stockport fan who claimed Davies and O'Grady were on £1,500 a week each as well.

It could well have related to what he was earning when he joined from Leeds, with them paying a huge chunk of it.

I don't actually have a clue what he'd be on ... the £1,600 a week figure paid to Lee Hughes is about my only benchmark, oh, and a Stockport fan who claimed Davies and O'Grady were on £1,500 a week each as well.

I heard it said that Hughes was after £5k a week to sign for us (I guess before having a drunken fight with Shez), which was obviously way over the odds that we could go to, and there is no way in the world any club would pay a CB close to what they ever considered paying for a forward with the potential to be the divisions top scorer. IIRC correctly we took over one year of Gregan's contract with Dirty and he got two with us, whateverhe got off Leeds is long in the past, he was after more than we offered it seems but it seems that all is well now anyway.

Considering Gregan now lives round the corner from where my parents live, and goes drinking with one of the blokes I go to Latics with (and I might join them for a few in a couple of weeks) I can categorically deny he is on anything like £10k/week. The £1500/week might not be far off, especially considering we were supposed to be paying him around £3k/week when he started and he supposedly took a pay cut to stay on during the summer.

Whatever we are paying him, and in fairness its between Gregan and the owners, it isn't enough he has been awesome this season, bar today where despite being average he was still one of our better players.

Just for illustrative purposes, The Guardian reported today that as of 2006 (so four years ago) the average annual salary for a Championship player was £195,750 and the average annual salary for a League Two player was £49,000. (This excludes appearance fees, goal bonuses, win bonuses and the like.) So it's not too far-fetched to presume that Gregan, a well-paid League One player four years later, could be on £120,000 basic.

Bury's manager was on GMR before the game yesterday thanking Latics for the loan signing of Parker, saying if we weren't contributing to his wages there was no way Bury could afford him. Makes you wonder how much he's getting paid.

A now ex Latic player said that Gregan was on £1,500 a week.

Bury's manager was on GMR before the game yesterday thanking Latics for the loan signing of Parker, saying if we weren't contributing to his wages there was no way Bury could afford him. Makes you wonder how much he's getting paid.

I suspect Huddersfield are still paying a bigger chunk than Latics.