Brighton Post Game Thread

Yep, he really was garbage. The amount of space he was giving their winger in the first half had to be seen to be believed. Maybe he thought he was playing centre back ? Far too easily beaten on numerous occasions, garbage is a fair description. As for him playing in centre midfield, why not ? Poorest midfield I've ever witnessed at BP.

think thats a tad harsh,didnt do as welll today as in recent weeks but wasnt garbage,put some good balls in and some good tackles also had to manage with no support from whitts,i thought the little spell in cm was very good he was on the attack and asking for the ball in the box,he hadnt given up on the game which to me says a lot

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

penney on gmr

We've had four great chances to score goals, they've had one 'worldy' which has gone in the top corner, and we've given them a goal.

"I get fed up of saying it but if you don't put the ball in the back of the net you're not going to win games.

"After the second goal you could see the players' heads go down, and their body language was poor

Not suprised one bit by the result or the perfomance today. We should of been battered on Tuesday but we got away with it. Today though we were well and truley ripped apart. From the lack of effort once the 2nd went in to the clowns tactics we were just a shambles. A :censored: centre mid on the right wing when we had 3 on the bench (yes 2 of them have been terrible this season whilst the other has had 10 mins in the 1st team but still?). I can't even think where to start with that one.

Why on Earth did it take him so long to bring Eaves on once we went 2-0 down? At least bring him on for half an hour and bleed him into the team as he looked eager enough once he was on. We all knew the game had gone once the 2nd went in but as a manager of a professional team he has the duty to at least try and get us back into the game not just stand there with his back turned away from play looking defeated.

No doubt the Damage has been done for next season, no matter what happens now. But if we want to save this season from being the worst in recent history the guy has to go now. I was warming to the idea to keeping him till may then getting rid but the last 3 performances have persuaded me I was origionally right and he should go ASAP.

The second year may as well be played behind closed doors, due to the amount of Season Tickets that look like being renewed with him in charge.

maybe thats the best thing. then when they get it right they can invite the fans to a game :grin:

That was very poor. I'd warmed to the idea of sticking by Penney until at least the end of the season, indeed I missed the first 5 minutes due to messing about backing Latics and laying Brighton :blush:, but Penney's job has to hanging by a thread now. At least of half the (remaining) crowd openly want him out.

Nobody played well today, bar maybe Flahaven and Guy who looks a Paul Warne type but with a bit more class. Even Greegs wasn't great (though still of course more than adequate) while Abbott was average at best.

Black has rightly come in for Jacobson but is even worse. Lee was garbage today after some promising displays. Worthington was abysml, Furman barely any better (anybody else starting to find him annoyingly over-enthusiastic?). Whittaker hardly got a kick and when Smalley replaced him he managed to bugger it up every single time he got it into his feet. Taylor is not the player some have kidded ourselves he is - if he is then he's well out of sorts. That would leave Hazell who was ok bar a few bizarre hoofs, and Eaves who looked promising once again.

When is Dale Stephens back? We need him in the midfield alongside :censored: - that will keep us up. Has Penney even played them together yet?!?

That's some criticism!

Though toady was poor, and to be fair the recent post about bad wins was right, is now really the right time to dispose of a manager? we have just gone forur game unbeaten with two wins and two draws. Eight points from four games is far from relegation and quite a good run.

I agree we were poor today and to be fair I cant recall a good performance this year but where do we go now?

Sack the manager and ponder for a couple of weeks about a replacement? suicide.

Stick with Penney and risk the no taker route of season ticket sales?

who said club ownership was easy? TTA havesome real decision making to do if like me they want Latics to be playin league1 football next season

Sadly i'm coming to the same conclusion, he got it so, so so wrong today. Tuesday was awful, last Saturday mistakes or not was woeful. Orient had their best strikers on the bench for some reason (MCgleish and Jarvis) and Exeter was terrible. He's the luckiest twit with an 'a' alive,. HE WILL NOT GET US THE FOUR WINS WE NEED!

in addition............ i have lost count now of the amount of times this season were we have had a negative result , and on the same weekend, the so called sh-ite around us have cocked their result up as well.

in this sense, he has been very lucky indeed on at least 5 occasions..........we could so easily have been in even more deeeeep she-ite than we are now.

just coz we`re latics, we do not have a divine right to stay up........penny may well prove the this point to be true!!!.

Okay, imo not too bad in the first half but what the :censored: does Penney say to the team at half time!

1st goal- Not a thing Flav could have done to get to that, great goal.

Kieran Lee- WTF is he doing playing at right back! Doesn't go over the half way line meaning there is a big :censored: off gap there for Whits to pass to no one because Lee seems reluctant to go over the half way line.

Pav- Looks :censored: from start to finsh, not been the same player since coming back from his op.

Taylor- Below average now for too long, needs to up his game and change the way he plays, teams have him sussed.

Greegs & Rubes- Good solid performances but Greegs keep your :censored: elbows down

Guy- Fast as a :censored: whippet, my MOTM

The second half reminded me of playing football when I was in junior school, 8 players in a 20 yard radius, utter :censored: dross

Nice to hear the centre of the Rochdale Road end speaking up when the anti Penney chants started albeit from pre pubescents and :censored: up bellends who eventually were ejected.

Brighton played with great width, something which we are lacking greatly.

A free kick 25 yards out imo should be a shot on goal, it wasn't, why not!

Corners- At least try and get the ball to bounce above knee height on the first defender.

We will not go down regardless of who we have, simply because there is some proper :censored:e in this division.

Probably right but the worst thing is the damage that DP is doing to this club.

After 40 years a S/T holder i wont be getting another whilst he is manager and i suspect there are a few hundred similar people to me.

Where does the TTA go from here ???????

Okay, imo not too bad in the first half but what the :censored: does Penney say to the team at half time!

1st goal- Not a thing Flav could have done to get to that, great goal.

Kieran Lee- WTF is he doing playing at right back! Doesn't go over the half way line meaning there is a big :censored: off gap there for Whits to pass to no one because Lee seems reluctant to go over the half way line.

Pav- Looks :censored: from start to finsh, not been the same player since coming back from his op.

Taylor- Below average now for too long, needs to up his game and change the way he plays, teams have him sussed.

Greegs & Rubes- Good solid performances but Greegs keep your :censored: elbows down

The second half reminded me of playing football when I was in junior school, 8 players in a 20 yard radius, utter :censored: dross

Nice to hear the centre of the Rochdale Road end speaking up when the anti Penney chants started albeit from pre pubescents and :censored: up bellends who eventually were ejected.

Brighton played with great width, something which we are lacking greatly.

A free kick 25 yards out imo should be a shot on goal, it wasn't, why not!

Corners- At least try and get the ball to bounce above knee height on the first defender.

lee isn,t reluctant to go up he is told to stay back

They would both change positions for the duration of the attack, its just an extra option not being used to full advantage.

Whilst I don't expect us to go all out attack things like overlapping fullbacks and bursts from midfield would give us more options attacking, add width to our game and cause the oppo more problems. After the initial 5 mins or so we lacked ideas everytime we went forward and its clear to everyone it seems apart from the one that matters.

Aside from Gregan, the only players who have seemed to show any desire over the last couple of weeks have been Price, Flahaven and Guy - and none of these are actually ours!

Hazell should be fired piss poor pass the hole team is pefetic manager hasnt got a clue and the secound goal was ammazing its gone from depressing to comical im sure penny is jeremy beadle in discuise.

Thats it for me im not going ever again the 13 years i have been going never seen nothing like that we used to have a spirit about the place its all rotting away now RIP OAFC

Are you an English teacher by day?

lol price :S

he might have run around like a headless chicken but you couldn't fault his effort, which is more than can be said for Abbott. Yes, we'd be below Stockport if it wasn't for his goals,but he hasn't been the same player since coming back from his injury. He was anonymous again today - i didn't celebrate when we got awarded the penalty because i fully expected him to miss.

The second half was a masterclass in ineptitude - their inability to keep hold of the ball,string two passes together or put any kind of dangerous ball into the penalty area was stunning. No point in sacking Penney this late in the season,but it's hard to see how next season is going to be much better with him in charge.

Disappointing today. Not the sort of performance you expect to see from a team battling relegation.

We played OK for most of the first half, particularly the first 15 to 20min. Nowt special, but kept the ball well and looked busy. They scored a stunner (although he had far too much space) and that was that - we looked very poor from then on. Their keeper did make a few very good saves, but we just didn't press and create enough as usual.

Interesting to see in the RRE that the muppets chanting the 'get out of our club' :censored:e after 20 mins, when we weren't actually doing too badly, got roundly booed and drowned out with positive chanting by those wanting to get behind the 11 on the pitch. The vast majority in the RRE today actually seemed to want to get behind the 11 in blue and abstain from the Penney outing....however, after a painful second half it couldn't last and the majority of the fans sat in silence and frustration whilst the muppet choir and a smattering of others found their voices again. Nobody had the stomach to drown them out and cheer on the lads by then.

The cancer of the club revelling in delight once again!!!

However, if Flahavan had done his job and not given a really bad pass to Reuben it would never have happened.

Oh my F......god??? You're being serious too!

That's the first own goal I've ever seen where a player starts and finishes off the move himself! The ball from Worthington t Flav was diabolical....Flav gets there just, in the the nick of time and scuffs it to Hazell who hoofs it to Black who makes a mare of it and their lad storms into the box and fires if across goal....Worthington expertly (for an oppo striker) finishes it off. Anyone who blames Flav at all, in anyway for that goal frankly needs to stop watching footy. And try fishing!

Oh my F......god??? You're being serious too!

That's the first own goal I've ever seen where a player starts and finishes off the move himself! The ball from Worthington t Flav was diabolical....Flav gets there just, in the the nick of time and scuffs it to Hazell who hoofs it to Black who makes a mare of it and their lad storms into the box and fires if across goal....Worthington expertly (for an oppo striker) finishes it off. Anyone who blames Flav at all, in anyway for that goal frankly needs to stop watching footy. And try fishing!

Ross, I very rarely agree with you. But, plus one, times a thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!