Time for Penney to go?

Is it time for Penney to be sacked?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to wield the axe

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If he were to be sacked, who could, realstically, replace him. AND keep us up with the current squad?

• Lee Duxbury
    • Tony Philliskirk
    • Sean Gregan
    • Lee Dux & Sean Gregan
    • Jim Magilton
    • Martin Allen
    • Mike Newell
    • Andy Ritchie

Someone posted that Simon Corney was on the radio stating that Dave Penney would be here next year, but that the poster thought they thought that SC was testing the water for a reaction. so 2 polls.

Firstly, lets be realistic, It is a bit late to do anything. Last year proved it. Is it likely the TTA would do the same again?

and backing the manager through the tough times brings rewards later. THe TTA have ben honest in where they have gone wrong in the past and admitted sacking managers too early.

But, performances have been dire, there seems to be no motivation, the players do not seem to be up for the fight, the job in hand to fight relegation.

Could anyone new rectify that with a couple of loans?

I cannot think of many available so will add as you suggest them.

Edited by singe

There's no point in getting rid of Penney now, but if we did, only Ritchie or Philliskirk out of those options would be viable for me.

The fact that people think either Duxbury or Gregan or a combination of the two would be the answer is a concern, especially given that TTA have reacted on fan opinion in the past.

I definitely support that poll. :grin:

It's too late to sack Penney - we've got to the point where I think we're roughly evens to stay up or go down and that won't change whether the manager is Penney or anybody else.

If we go down then I know the majority will call for his head ... if he goes then we need to accept that we're going to have to start all over again, from scratch, new manager, new coaches, new squad, all on a much lower budget. You can forget bouncing straight back up - it simply won't happen. As for who comes in, God knows.

It's too late to sack Penney - we've got to the point where I think we're roughly evens to stay up or go down and that won't change whether the manager is Penney or anybody else.

If we go down then I know the majority will call for his head ... if he goes then we need to accept that we're going to have to start all over again, from scratch, new manager, new coaches, new squad, all on a much lower budget. You can forget bouncing straight back up - it simply won't happen. As for who comes in, God knows.

trouble is though if you wait until the end of season,then get shut and bring someone new in...how they gonna asses the current players???

at least if he went say tomorrow for arguments sake...either put someone in temp or they may already have someone sounded out and in mind..least there gonna be able to run the rule over them for the remaining games,then come the end of season they would have some sort of idea who stays or who goes...

Bristol Rovers went from play off contenders to relegated to Lge 2 in consecutive seasons, roundabout 2001. It took them a long time to come back to this level.

trouble is though if you wait until the end of season,then get shut and bring someone new in...how they gonna asses the current players???

at least if he went say tomorrow for arguments sake...either put someone in temp or they may already have someone sounded out and in mind..least there gonna be able to run the rule over them for the remaining games,then come the end of season they would have some sort of idea who stays or who goes...

Didn't really work last season.

Didn't really work last season.

penny had 1 game to go off and recomendations from big joe...hardly running the rule over players is it....

so would you prefer get rid now put tony p in temp then bring new guy in in june....and what just bin them all and start from scratch???

penny had 1 game to go off and recomendations from big joe...hardly running the rule over players is it....

so would you prefer get rid now put tony p in temp then bring new guy in in june....and what just bin them all and start from scratch???

I think he meant sacking the manager at this stage last season didn't work, in so much as we only won one more game. Same could easily happen again.

Well, if Penney were to get the boot, I don't think TTA would look to beyond the short-term anyway. I reckon someone would be put in temporay charge and then a decision be made at the end of the season with regards to a permanent appointment. So, apart from passing on recommendations as Big Joe did, there's a fair chance that any assessing would be pointless....as what happened last season!

Obviously Penney must go. The bastard smiled the other day as my car mounted the pavement into his face, or something similar.

It's too soon to off the manager.

It's too late to off the manager this season.

Philliskirk has said he doesn't want to manage, let's leave it at that with him.

There really is no one else of any level that would put up with this :censored:.

Someone posted that Simon Corney was on the radio stating that Dave Penney would be here next year, but that the poster thought they thought that SC was testing the water for a reaction. so 2 polls.

Firstly, lets be realistic, It is a bit late to do anything. Last year proved it. Is it likely the TTA would do the same again?

and backing the manager through the tough times brings rewards later. THe TTA have ben honest in where they have gone wrong in the past and admitted sacking managers too early.

But, performances have been dire, there seems to be no motivation, the players do not seem to be up for the fight, the job in hand to fight relegation.

Could anyone new rectify that with a couple of loans?

I cannot think of many available so will add as you suggest them.

two more season's please then and only then will i reserve myjudgement

In a mass of hysteria, it's nice to hear a voice that is sensible.

I might not like it at the moment (does anyone), but give the guy a chance.

Loltastic!

In all my years posting on Oldham Athletic forums I have never seen the person who posts under Don't Worry.... be called sensible!

We are through the looking glass people.......

I really can't see what good it will do sacking him now, but at the end of the day, the team that has produced so much dross week in week out is Penney's team. He decides the tactics, he signs the players, he picks the team, the buck falls largely with him.

If Simon C is true to his word and Dave Penney is to remain manager next season, I would fully expect TTA to call in the management team and redraw the lines and limits regarding what constitutes an almighty bollocking, and make it crystal clear to the management team what is expected in terms of the performance of the team on the field

If Simon C is true to his word and Dave Penney is to remain manager next season, I would fully expect TTA to call in the management team and redraw the lines and limits regarding what constitutes an almighty bollocking, and make it crystal clear to the management team what is expected in terms of the performance of the team on the field

I've seen this posted on a few threads, not a personal dig at you Lookers_Carl so please don't take it as such.

Do people think Penney doesn't know what is expected from the role? Do people think he sends the team out with deliberately misleading information? "Play it short but keep it long, be quick but slow, drop deep but not in our half, my 5th is in sparrow but not in Gibraltar, they seek me here but I am following the trawler."

I would wager a pretty large stake that he knows that the general jist of his duties is to win football matches and hauling him over the coals to make this point isn't going to suddenly make this any clearer to him.

I've seen this posted on a few threads, not a personal dig at you Lookers_Carl so please don't take it as such.

Do people think Penney doesn't know what is expected from the role? Do people think he sends the team out with deliberately misleading information? "Play it short but keep it long, be quick but slow, drop deep but not in our half, my 5th is in sparrow but not in Gibraltar, they seek me here but I am following the trawler."

I would wager a pretty large stake that he knows that the general jist of his duties is to win football matches and hauling him over the coals to make this point isn't going to suddenly make this any clearer to him.

I reckon his agenda is to stop up* (and this affects his style of play).

*As it was with Sheridan**.

**And Moore***.

***All of them a doing that job, probably less successfully in succession.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

If Penney is in charge next season i'll be amazed. How many people are going to get a season ticket next year? I sat in the main stand yesterday and heard one guy who has been a season ticket for 20 odd years walkout 15 mins early saying he would never even consider buying one. I know this is just one person but it's a pretty common theme on here and other mesage boards.

Penney in charge next season = poor season ticket sales = far lower budget.

So with Penney in charge I think we can expect the current toss that's on offer to remain in place next season and maybe even worse. I know people on here say give a manger time and "how long did it take Royle to get us going" etc.. But when Royle was in charge football was very different and managers had more time. Modern football doesn't work that way whether you like it or not. This is some of the worst football I can remember latics playing and we all have to remember, football is about being entertained as a supporter, how many time have you walked away from BP feeling entertained this season? I could count on one hand.

Do whatever it takes to stay in this league and get shut of the moron at full time last game of the seaon. Risky game considering we have a tough run in but it's only real option.

Don't worry, has not been taken as such, and after 115 votes it seems over 3/4 of people would agree with you.

IF I was in charge (which you may think 'thank god he isn't' once I'm finished), I'd off Duxbury and stick Gregan as reserve manager*. By all accounts he want management and is learning stuff. It's a chance to see if he is capable. Myself I don't think Lee is above coach level (admittedly that is a very limited time watching him). If it gets to decision time we'll at least know if we have the in house capabilities.

And it is, most importantly, all free.

NB. I'd still give Penney a couple more years.

*No idea if this is possible to the full extent due to playing times.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I'm amazed that 3 people have voted for the scumbag that is Martin Allen.

He is one person I seriously hope we do not turn to as a replacement for Penney. He is a despicable character, and has already placed on record his hate for OAFC and stated we are racist (remember the Born In England, Live In England, Die In England flag)....add to this the fact he was placed on "gardening leave" at Cheltenham, for allegedly racially insulting a doorman at a nightclub. Due to the ethnic make-up of the town and the race circus that would undoubtedly accompany this piece of work, I hope he never even crosses the mind of the board!

In the unlikely event he was appointed I would personally boycott BP and support from my armchair until he left the club, by way of a personal protest.