Time for Penney to go?

Is it time for Penney to be sacked?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to wield the axe

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If he were to be sacked, who could, realstically, replace him. AND keep us up with the current squad?

• Lee Duxbury
    • Tony Philliskirk
    • Sean Gregan
    • Lee Dux & Sean Gregan
    • Jim Magilton
    • Martin Allen
    • Mike Newell
    • Andy Ritchie

after viewing Penney's masterful post match comments yesterday (about needing to score) I would like to ask him how he explains the fact that Taylor, Smalley and Whittaker (whatever anyone might think of them) scored 23 last season and 4 this.

after viewing Penney's masterful post match comments yesterday (about needing to score) I would like to ask him how he explains the fact that Taylor, Smalley and Whittaker (whatever anyone might think of them) scored 23 last season and 4 this.

Easy to explain -

Taylor and Smalley now play full back or just in front of the full backs and are not allowed in the opponents half.

Whittaker plays wide which every supporter knows is his worst position.

Think it is called tactics or lack of them !!!!!!!

Easy to explain -

Taylor and Smalley now play full back or just in front of the full backs and are not allowed in the opponents half.

Whittaker plays wide which every supporter knows is his worst position.

Think it is called tactics or lack of them !!!!!!!

Erm

I think taylor's lack on entry into the oppo half is all his own idea. he rarely runs down the wing. When jacobson played, he often ran into taylor, when he might have epected him to be 10-15 yds in front of him. Taylor has undoubtedly become something of a nothing player who offers little going forward and rarely occupies any attention from the other team. That is down to the player.

Smalley has gone backwards, but might still redeem himself.

Whitts? Well, he gets into central positions with the ball often enough, and within sight of goal, but he doesn't shoot. The crowd shout for him to do so, bt there cannot be any managerial instruction at that point (no player would be thinking of the manager at that point) so it's all in his own head.

Voted to keep him as I am an advocate of keeping the manager and giving them time.

I had also seen signs of improvement in recent home games which I thought showed positive signs for the future. However the last hour of Saturday's game was as bad as I have seen this season and made me question this view more than before.

But to blame Penny for the players losing the basic abilities to pass a football more than 4 yards in any direction other than backwards is perhaops a little harsh. The players more than Penny need to take a look at themselves after that last hour - I'd be tempted to do a Jose and make them watch that game 6 or 7 times this week in full and see what they actually produced on Saturday.

Looking at the League Table, safety should still be achieveable and we have 3 out of the next 4 at home, but I fear that the club will feel they have to dismiss Dave due to the lack of ST sales....and they we will start the 'rebuilding' again. Sigh.

Always been a fan of giving the manager time, im about 50 50 now to be honest, still dont want to change managers but then again wont be too bothered if he goes now, I expected us to be in this sort of position given the teams we have in our league and the injuries we had, but i expected us to be winning these important games a lot more comfortably, and we seem to be struggling to win against the bottom teams, but as for changing managers, Im not sure if its the right solution, especially not till the end of the season anyway

Changing manager so frequently can't really be beneficial to a club...but there are times when you have to hold your hand up and say ''we got it wrong''

Penney's lack of tactical nous and insistance on playing negative, boring,one dimensional football have driven fans away in their droves.

The guy has had most of the season to sort out our deficiences but has failed miserably. Unfortunately it's probably too late in the season now to bring in someone else and expect them to work wonders with what we have available.

All we can hope for is that we escape the dreaded drop and then send him packing in the summer. Not ideal i know, but the alternative is too painful to contemplate.

Changing manager so frequently can't really be beneficial to a club...but there are times when you have to hold your hand up and say ''we got it wrong''

Penney's lack of tactical nous and insistance on playing negative, boring,one dimensional football have driven fans away in their droves.

The guy has had most of the season to sort out our deficiences but has failed miserably. Unfortunately it's probably too late in the season now to bring in someone else and expect them to work wonders with what we have available.

All we can hope for is that we escape the dreaded drop and then send him packing in the summer. Not ideal i know, but the alternative is too painful to contemplate.

But its easy to hold your hand up too quickly...

Some of our deficiences have been improved this season - I felt our back 5 were absolutely shambolic at the starts of the season, and with the exception of the second goal on Saturday, I feel this is in better shape now.

I also felt against Millwall, Tranmere (H), Leeds (H in both games) we wouldn't create a decent chance nevermind score. We are now at least creating some reasonable chances at the moment - just not taking them.

Small improvements I'll admit - but it does show some signs of improvement.

I don't believe that the club is going to make any progress under Penney no matter how long he stays in charge. And the longer we slide further into oblivion, the harder it will be to regain the ground we've lost under someone else.

For that reason, I think it's time for the axe to fall now.

As for a successor, I'd be an Andy Ritchie fan... but over all I'd want anyone but Penney - even if we have to go through more managers over the next few seasons to find the right one for us.

Well, anyone except Stephen Staunton.

This managing lark seems a tad too difficult for our dave at present, maybe he could find something he's more suited to......oh i dunno, maybe counting parking tickets or something......... :wink:

Shouldn't be too taxing.....with soon to be only 10 cars parked at the ground. He wouldn't even need to take his shoes off!!

Just as well you said counting rather than organising though.

"OK, I have a Rolls Royce, an old XR6, eight Fiestas and all this space....OK, i'll put the Roller right at the back...couldnt afford the insurance if I hit it, or the repairs if it hit me, the XR6 at the front with all its fancy spoilers and trims which actually do absolutely nothing to enhance performance, but at least it looks good ........and thats it. This is easy !!!"