My e-mail to Alan Hardy

Hi Alan,

This is the first time I have e-mailed you and I feel this is because I have never been so downbeat about an Oldham Athletic team.

After yet another boring, lacklustre performance at Boundary Park on Saturday I felt it only necessary to donate my Season Ticket for the rest of the year to my bin. And unless I see any promise that next season wont be the same garbage football churned out, I certainly wont be paying for another one.

All season I have attended Boundary Park and numerous away fixtures uninspired by what I have seen, but always thought we were better than we have shown and it would eventually come good. Now with roughly 10 games to go, I am yet to see that happen, and sadly given up hope it ever will. I have never been a Penney out fan, but right now I genuinely don’t see any other way that this club will move up the league next season without someone else at the helm. I have recently come to wonder just what he thinks when he picks a team, and also brings on his substitutes. Why has he banged on all season about our strikers not scoring enough. Did he ever come to think that the Wingers have been useless and the strikers aren’t getting a service. Pawel Abbott has somehow managed to get 12 goals from this pathetic excuse for a midfield. Chris Taylor doesn’t look interested and Dean Smalley has lost all confidence, making him a worse player than usual. Also when Danny Whittaker who is a “centre midfielder” (if you could call him that) is played on the right wing, we really are struggling.

For me :censored: was, up until Christmas, our player of the season (bar Gregan). And yet since then he hasn’t had a look in. Last week at Wycombe, 2 Youth Team players were brought on before him. Although the kids cant be blamed and they might try, they aren’t yet good enough to really make a difference.

At the beginning of the season he replaced what were already mediocre players, with exact replicas, who have turned out to be much, much worse. The only reason we haven’t been relegated already is due to the fact Sean Gregan and Reuben Hazell haven’t been injured and have remained consistent.

I will now only be attending away fixtures this season, and that is only due to the fact I will be going for a drink with my friends and for the general banter. It will not be because I am inspired to watch this rubbish which is being put on display. We should just be thankful that there are somehow worse teams than our own i this league.

Unless something is done, me along with numerous friends and family, wont be purchasing again next season. I am a diehard Oldham fan, but Im not stupid enough to waste a large chunk of money on non entertaining football. Im sure I wont be the only one. There are many other local sides who offer much more entertainment and quality football, for a reasonably similar price, often cheaper.

Thankyou for your time and I hope you can understand my views.

Kind Regards

By the way can I just confirm his e mail address is it alan.hardy@oldhamathletic.co.uk

Well said youngen. Sums it up for me too, except that I won't be going to away games either. Judging by the gates this season many others think alike. How long will it be before just a few reluctant season ticket holders turn up ?

You should have included an attachment of your season ticket in the bin.

Which one though, he could be fined £1,000 for dumping a Latics season ticket in the wrong bin.

However, that may still be a price worth paying. :grin:

Edited by BP1960

Im losing confidence now, I thought after we got leeds norwich and colchester out of the way we could look to climb the league,

but after the performance's against brighton and stockport im worrying now,

mainly because we struggled to beat a team bottom of the league with just 10 men, and we lost against brighton looking like the better team, if you cant win when your on top of the game then you have problems, maybe if this happens once or twice its forgiveable but seems to happen every other week now and worries the hell out of me.

I am now at the point where i say get the 4 wins to get us to the end of the season then bring in a new manager, we cant afford to keep him for next season, its always a risk changing manager, but next season i think its now more of a risk keeping penney, he has had chances to correct mistakes but didnt, and in the summer i can only see him bring in more of his ex donny players who are currently playing league one reserves/ league 2 bottom of the league, doesnt seem to have anymore contacts in the game.

Also there is going to be a fall in the gates if hes still in charge, with a lot of die hard fans giving up hope aswell

Other than the first 20 or so minutes, they were comfortably better than us. They kept the ball well and looked much better than we did.

I've though that Brighton over the last few seasons have under acheived with the squad and players they have at their disposal. They've got the right manager now and watch them fly next season.

I think we have an average manager and an average squad. We're very much nothing special.

Well said youngen. Sums it up for me too, except that I won't be going to away games either. Judging by the gates this season many others think alike. How long will it be before just a few reluctant season ticket holders turn up ?

can i reserve my ST for season2011/2012 when DP has gone

It will be interesting to see if the OP gets a reply from Alan, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

AH is usually very good at getting back to people who contact him. I emailed him after the Millwall game first game of last season; and he rang me back to talk through the points I raised rather than simply email me back.

I think it goes without saying that he is unlikely to agree outright with any of the points; but I think he will at the very least email to thank the OP for his/her correspondence.

All well and good these long emails about team selection and who should be our next boss. Stick to Champ Manager. Yes Penney is a nugget, the players are a disgrace, the football is absolutely mind numbing and an insult to the game, but no one is bothering with the underlying issue at the club and in particular the way it's being run.

It's rotten.

If we're fortunate to still be in business in 5 years time we'll still be playing in a 3 sided dump surrounded by terraced houses. Managers and players come and go, homes don't. So regardless of who'll be in charge, I won't be there to see it because I'm not willing to spend anymore time and money supporting a rotting football club on its last legs.

Balls to the manager, there's more pressing issues out there.

E4e

OARIP

All well and good these long emails about team selection and who should be our next boss. Stick to Champ Manager. Yes Penney is a nugget, the players are a disgrace, the football is absolutely mind numbing and an insult to the game, but no one is bothering with the underlying issue at the club and in particular the way it's being run.

It's rotten.

If we're fortunate to still be in business in 5 years time we'll still be playing in a 3 sided dump surrounded by terraced houses. Managers and players come and go, homes don't. So regardless of who'll be in charge, I won't be there to see it because I'm not willing to spend anymore time and money supporting a rotting football club on its last legs.

E4e

OARIP

I wish you'd considered this back when you were amongst the first vociferously calling for Sheridan's head.

:cry:

It's rotten.

E4e

OARIP

My e mail stated these team suggestions just to emphasise what us as fans see yet a manager paid a salary by the club doesnt see. I in no way think Im a tactical expert but even the biggest Penney lover can see these mistakes. They were merely used to highlight how inept he is from our point of view.

I agree the manager isnt the biggest problem, but at the moment he on his own will cost the club thousands, and all we can do as fans is let the people behind the scenes know this. If they decide not to act on it, then more fool them. Hopefully though the people who run the club must see the growing loss of fans and interest and will act to keep the club exciting to the borough. I for one am excited about the potential move away from Boundary Park as it is an absolute dump. However I am not overly convinced of the move to Failsworth. If fans at the minute wont turn up to a Stadium in the centre of its town, they certainly arent going to pay taxi fares/petrol money/bus fare to go a good 10 minutes out of the town.

At this moment in time I would certainly not go to Boundary Park again this season, and if it ever happens and we are still as bad as we are, I will definately not go to Failsworth. Someone in the club needs to be in touch with the fans, and sadly I dont think they understand the fans viewpoints.

Edited by youngen

Someone in the club needs to be in touch with the fans, and sadly I dont think they understand the fans viewpoints.

Your mail is going to be a real eye-opener for Hardy, until now he will have presumed that we prefer to see the team losing without ever crossing the half way line. Now he knows we would rather see good attacking play and lots of goals I’d imagine he will tailor the product accordingly.

Your mail is going to be a real eye-opener for Hardy, until now he will have presumed that we prefer to see the team losing without ever crossing the half way line. Now he knows we would rather see good attacking play and lots of goals I’d imagine he will tailor the product accordingly.

:grin:

Its the one sent to SC that tickled me more though!!!

Edited by slystallone