League Two

Is anybody else, like me, quite looking forward to the possibility of playing league two football?

For a start at least it's a different league. We've been in this league for nearly 13 years, much to the frustration of many Latics fans. But we have only ever looked at the possiblity of going up to get out of it, and not down.

There is a also a greater chance for promotion and a smaller chance of relegation. With only 2 spots up for the drop to the Blue Square Premier and 3 automatic spots and 1 play-off place for promotion the chance of a successful season is greater.

Plus the travelling for away games will be cut right down. Macclesfield, Crewe, Port Vale, Accrington, Burton, Shrewsbury and only one of Rotheram, Bury or Chesterfield could go up through the playoffs (assuming that they all stay in playoff positions).

And permitting they get out of the trouble they are in there would also be Stockport, and possibly even Tranmere to play. All these teams, within 2 hours of us, would be a luxury we have not had for a long time at BP.

They are no Norwich, Leeds or Southampon, I will give you that, but they also won't have the cost of going to these games (petrol, admission, pies/beer etc).

I know the downside would be Rochdale are going up and that we would be likely to loose players and possibly the managers budget would be cut.

But look at it on the positive. Were getting League 2 attendances already and we have a ground worthy of Non-League! :lol: Would it really be that bad for us??

Is anybody else, like me, quite looking forward to the possibility of playing league two football?

For a start at least it's a different league. We've been in this league for nearly 13 years, much to the frustration of many Latics fans. But we have only ever looked at the possiblity of going up to get out of it, and not down.

There is a also a greater chance for promotion and a smaller chance of relegation. With only 2 spots up for the drop to the Blue Square Premier and 3 automatic spots and 1 play-off place for promotion the chance of a successful season is greater.

Plus the travelling for away games will be cut right down. Macclesfield, Crewe, Port Vale, Accrington, Burton, Shrewsbury and only one of Rotheram, Bury or Chesterfield could go up through the playoffs (assuming that they all stay in playoff positions).

And permitting they get out of the trouble they are in there would also be Stockport, and possibly even Tranmere to play. All these teams, within 2 hours of us, would be a luxury we have not had for a long time at BP.

They are no Norwich, Leeds or Southampon, I will give you that, but they also won't have the cost of going to these games (petrol, admission, pies/beer etc).

I know the downside would be Rochdale are going up and that we would be likely to loose players and possibly the managers budget would be cut.

But look at it on the positive. Were getting League 2 attendances already and we have a ground worthy of Non-League! :lol: Would it really be that bad for us??

And the next season be saying the same thing about the Confernce.

Is this a wind up? Really?

League 2 would be OK if the new ground was on its way and the owners were definitely willing to back the club to get out of it. The club could start afresh. If this was the case a couple of seasons of consolidation would be bearable getting rid of all the deadwood and the right manager in place. The fans would come back when the results picked up.

However, as none of this is likely to happen it is surely going to be nothing short of a disaster!

Is this a wind up? Really?

I spose its a posative spin on a crap situation but really and trufully we go down a club on its knees will be asking for someone to finish us off. Crowds are desperate and will get worse and whos to say we will be able to stay in the league and not drop into the blue square or whatever do players like colbeck smally wothington look good enuff to be proffesional footballers at any level at the moment? we have to stay up cause if we dont people will want cheapers tickets etc and we cant afford that

anybody think Blackpool have a fighting chance of getting in the prem...through the play offs...?

food for thought..... :huh:

Put yourself in the shoes of a Blackpool fan, would you want to go up to the prem? How many could stomach seeing their side mullered every week and have that prick Lawrenson magnifying every slight error the manager or players make on national telly?

Granted it is preferable to standing on the precipice of the 4th Division.

There is a also a greater chance for promotion and a smaller chance of relegation. Would it really be that bad for us??

Similar things were said when we dropped from the Prem, and then again when we dropped from the old League 1.

Hope you're not studying rocket science at uni.

Like it said Oh Heck C-Beck and Blue Hobbit said it is a positive spin on a crap situation and a great chance for a fresh start.

The situation has been going stale for a long time in this League, and a change, with a possible season or two to get settled, could be good for the club.

Well no.

In the Championship theres 3 promotion spots and 3 relegation.

In League 1 theres 3 promotion spots and 4 relegation spots.

So there is a greater chance of promotion in league 2 with 4 spots up for grabs and less chance of relegation with only 2 spots.

just be totally clear i am TOTALLY against us going down and keeping everything crossed with avoid the drop.

we have had 13 seasons in this league and barring handful have never really looked like getting out of it if we drop down i envisage a simelar scenario and possibly worse with the way things are going

Edited by bluehobbit

Similar things were said when we dropped from the Prem, and then again when we dropped from the old League 1.

Hope you're not studying rocket science at uni.

Well no.

So there is a greater chance of promotion in league 2 with 4 spots up for grabs and less chance of relegation with only 2 spots.

Edited by MDI-OAFC

I shall be attending one League 2 game to complete the set for me......... all 4 divisions, Wembley and a European game (Genoa away) then that's will be it.

Well no.

What's the point in you wanting to get promoted into a division we're already in and can stay safe in THIS season?

You forgot to mention, we already have a League 2 Manager, and a lot of (SIGNED BY BAD PENNY)League 2 players

I see where the OP is coming from and partly agree, but Newcastle we are not and my confidence level in this team being able to bounce right back is pretty low.

That said, I think given the rising costs for lower league football clubs and away travel, re-introducing the north/south leagues would seem a sensible idea.

No. Going down will be the death of what is already a dying club.

Promotion Good :)

Relegation Bad :disappointed:

nail on the head there

new grounds??? load of bolloks

we go done we lose virtually half the fans we currently have.....meaning losing half your income....who in the right mind is going to pay £20 for division 4 football,when you can go to bolton and watch a premier league game for the same price

loss of income means player budget cut in half or more...meaning attracting the lowest calibre of player available...

it isnt a given that we would come back up at the first attempt..many said that when we dropped out of the championship...look at us now some 14 years later and still trying..and still failing miserably..

nail on the head there

new grounds??? load of bolloks

we go done we lose virtually half the fans we currently have.....meaning losing half your income....who in the right mind is going to pay £20 for division 4 football,when you can go to bolton and watch a premier league game for the same price

loss of income means player budget cut in half or more...meaning attracting the lowest calibre of player available...

it isnt a given that we would come back up at the first attempt..many said that when we dropped out of the championship...look at us now some 14 years later and still trying..and still failing miserably..

+1