Decent Chinese Buffet Restaurant

danoafc

The one that used to be the Liberal Club in Royton isn't too bad, next to the Marstons in the centre.

I'm going back about 10 years or so so there is a chance it has closed down or got rat infested.

No still open Happy Gathering went about 2 weeks back, very nice food dont think they do buffet though just menu.

Indeed, Little Yang Sing is one of my favourites too as it's all but the same only usually not as busy.

If you're willing to stretch to Thai then Siam Orchid on Portland Street (directly opposite the Tower) is awesome and has a karaoke bar upstairs for after - assuming of course you leave the nippers at home!

Indeed, Little Yang Sing is one of my favourites too as it's all but the same only usually not as busy.

If you're willing to stretch to Thai then Siam Orchid on Portland Street (directly opposite the Tower) is awesome and has a karaoke bar upstairs for after - assuming of course you leave the nippers at home!

There's also a Siam Orchid on Middleton Road in Royton opposite Somerfield. No idea if it's related though.

In my opinion the best by far is the China Village in Delph in the centre. Not been since before Christmas, but the food is the best chinese you'll get anywhere. They're also kid friendly, the owner Steve does the cooking and his wife Julie serves, and you often see their 2 kids there too. My son who is 3 loves going there, and enjoys the shiu mai, prawn crackers and has a go at eating with chopsticks.

However good it is, I'm willing to bet that it's not as good as the real thing, Ackey. :)

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.

Ended up at the one at Ashton Moss (been before and think it's decidedly average) but it's easy and ok for the nippers.

I know there are a few decent ones in Manchester, but as I work down here and the wife and kids were up at home in Royton, I couldn't be bothered going home, getting changed and dragging them all down here again.

Cheers

Not even close TL - don't remind me!!

I remember the first time I came back to England with my wife. We resisted going out for a "Thai" meal, mainly because we'd be paying ten times what we'd pay at home, but were eventually persuaded to go by friends, on the condition that they'd pay. The other half wasn't particularly impressed by the food we'd been served so she ended up in the restaurant kitchen cooking her own. The owners conceded that they had to tone things down for local tastes.

You can't beat the real thing. :)

Since coming back I've had Chinese, Thai, Malay and even Fijian food... none of it comes close to the 'real' thing.

Even 'American' food such as burgers and the like doesn't come close to what you get in the home country... just as the fish and chips I had in Australia wasn't close to what you'd get here.

Since coming back I've had Chinese, Thai, Malay and even Fijian food... none of it comes close to the 'real' thing.

Even 'American' food such as burgers and the like doesn't come close to what you get in the home country... just as the fish and chips I had in Australia wasn't close to what you'd get here.

I see where you're coming from on this Ackey - But i'd rather have a ruby here than in India/Bangladesh or Pakistan.......

I know what you're saying - whilst I've never been to that part of Asia I understand the two foods are vastly different, almost incomparable.

Chinese food is somewhat like that also, what we consider Chinese food is not what you get in China on the whole. Another thing which distinguishes the two is that throughout Asia the food I ate was almost exclusively seasonal and local, so tasted fresh and vibrant. Whilst a Thai Green Chicken Curry here will, to a large extent, contain products which have at some point been frozen and transported vast distances.

Don't know where you had your fish and chips but the ones I had in Oz was better than what I've had here (admitedly I've never had fish and chips so close to the sea here). However, most non British food eg. Italian food and Tapas, I've had in the UK is not as good as the stuff I've had in their original countries.