Oldham Athletic 3 Manchester United 3 8th april 1990

Its 20 years to the day since we put the fear of sh!t up our charming friends from Trafford, gaining a very credible 3-3 draw in what must go down as one of the best day in FA cup semi final history when you throw in the fact that on the same day Crystal palace beat Liverpool 4-3 13 goals in 2 games.

Being only 7 at the time my memories of this game are pretty vague and I wasn't at the game I watched on TV definately remember Earl Barrett :imnotworthy: putting us ahead and remember Roger Palmer :imnotworthy: sneaking in at the back post to eqaulise at 3-3.

So for those who weren't there becasue they were too young or were not born anyone fancy telling their stories of this day/ game as the idea that we would go toe to toe pound for pound with "them" today seems unthinkable.

Edited by GlossopLatic

My overriding memory of the day was going in the Bookies with a couple of mates on our way to the game to do a correct score bet and first goal scorer.

My mate said he was going to put a fiver on Earl Barrett for the first goal at 33/1, I managed to talk him out of it as Earl's goals were as rare as rocking horse :censored:.

The game itself seemed to pass in a blur, especially after Earl had scored apart from the cries (literally) of 170 quid you've cost me 170 quid, you absolute £$%&.

Suffice to say I have never lived that down or indeed heard the last of it, great day though shame we lost the replay 2-1.

I remember being impressed with the City away end......THE OLD PLATT LANE......it was immense to see the Latics faithful filling it and approx 1/3 of the kippax........the game was a mixture of emotions..........going in front and then having to equalise to take it to a reply but a real footballing day with the earlier semi result..............i would give my right arm for a day like that again :wink:

I remember the replay more

That Chuffing Mark Robins...supersub...grrrr...nipping it for them

And I am not too sure if it was this game or the first when Rick Holden wanted to take a quick throw in - no latics players around wanted it (no change there), so he rolled it of the UTD players back who was jogging away, step on the pitch and off again he was up the wing

what a game

happy days :disappointed:

Actually don't remember much about the game itself (other than it being a cracker). A feeling of ecstatic shock when Earl scored and euphoria when dodger appeared at the far post to slide in the equaliser (though you just knew it was going to happen).

My memories are more of the day itself. It was the first cup game (2nd year of season ticket) that season that I couldn't go to (excluded Southampton away from that as my dad couldn't take us on a midweek to the south coast). Everyone we spoke to that morning was either a very scared red or supporting us.

But the excitment of the day was that my team were going to be live on the BBC in the semi-final of the FA cup - that just didn't happen. And those were the days that it was so exciting on FA Cup final day as you got the whole day build up - and it felt just like that, but with my team.

Something lost in todays wall-to-wall coverage, it's difficult to contemplate just how exciting a feeling that was.

I remember smugly thinking how many of the plastic reds at our primary school on Monday would now claim to be Oldham fans (after years of stick in the playground, and it was most of them on that Monday!), and the same smug feeling about how wrong my Uncle had been at the first game of the season when he said I should be a Man U fan as Oldham wouldn't ever do anything. (He used to have corp tickets at Old Trafford and the first game of that season they had played Arsenal, he'd decided to take my cousin, me and my dad - and the comment was made when the 0-1 score from Blackburn v Latics appeared at full time)...I've never forgotten that.

Also, the other semi-final that day was a cracker of a match as well - I just remember being elated by the whole footballing day...happy days!!

Its 20 years to the day since we put the fear of sh!t up our charming friends from Trafford, gaining a very credible 3-3 draw in what must go down as one of the best day in FA cup semi final history when you throw in the fact that on the same day Crystal palace beat Liverpool 4-3 13 goals in 2 games.

Being only 7 at the time my memories of this game are pretty vague and I wasn't at the game I watched on TV definately remember Earl Barrett :imnotworthy: putting us ahead and remember Roger Palmer :imnotworthy: sneaking in at the back post to eqaulise at 3-3.

So for those who weren't there becasue they were too young or were not born anyone fancy telling their stories of this day/ game as the idea that we would go toe to toe pound for pound with "them" today seems unthinkable.

It was a lovely sunny day, my first ever 'away', game remember watching the first half of the Liverpool v Palace epic (was 1-0 to Liverpool when we left with no sign of the drama to come) then we set off from Barlow's. Remember seeing the yellow 'AA' signs 'FA CUP SEMI-FINAL MAINE ROAD' the excitement hit me like a sledge hammer. I was on the Kippax with my dad, being 13 at the time I was feeling some trepidation, Kick Off was not until 3.30 yet we were in the ground for 2pm and it was rammed in our end (memories of Hillsborough were still all too raw), so much so we could only stand at the back so I could see next to nowt. I remember thinking this is not real, I had to pinch myself! Twelve months earlier on the same day we had lost 2-0 to Palace in the old Second Division, yet we were both appearing in an FA Cup Semi-Final!

I barely saw Earl's opener, and then bedlam! Robson had been recalled on one leg (he was United's version of Stevee Gee for the young 'uns! Basically United were :censored:e without him) He steam-rollered his way through, shot past Hallworth 1-1 at HT. Abiding memory of the first half was Mick Milligan running with the ball with Webb and Robson alongside. Milligan nonchantly stops the ball and heads in the opposite direction making great big tits out of England's FIRST choice midfield for Italia '90. Webb reacts just in time to scythe down the Latics skipper.

Hallworth was caught napping, Webb heads home - Marshall scores a brilliant volley 2-2...extra-time. I was worried though. Dad only had access 'til 6.30, I was gonna be late home and my mum would go spare. I soon forgot about that when Wallace put United 3-2 up, bursting through and burying under Hallworth. Time for the Dodger, Latics break late on, Palmer steals in unnoticed for probably the 50th time in his career to earn a deserved replay. We could have won it, I remember our section of the Kippax crying in agony at Holden's late effort which looped onto the roof of the net.

I remember it still being a gloriously sunny early Spring day as we exited en masse from Maine Road, I remember the old cobbled backing teeming with reds and blues, Police everywhere and waiting bloody ages to get off Platt Lane. I got home about 8 o'clock, mum wasn't impressed, I didn't care - I was buzzing!

I had to watch the replay on tv, I made up for it four years later and was at both Semi-Finals. Unfortunately my second experience of a Maine Road Semi-Final wasn't as exhilirating.

Edited by oafcprozac

3 utd fans sat behind us totally sh*t*ing it when it went to extra time after seeing us dominate everton after 90 mins in the 3rd game, they where sure we where going to beat them...so was I.

felt a little different leaving there that day than it did leaving wembley 4 years later, it all could have been so different.

fergie was looking at his watch for different reason at the end of those 2 games

unfortunately the sad thing is latics fans old and new will never be as lucky again to see our little team from a town of chimneys scare the :censored: out of the big clubs all around the country, GREAT DAYS!

3 utd fans sat behind us totally sh*t*ing it when it went to extra time after seeing us dominate everton after 90 mins in the 3rd game, they where sure we where going to beat them...so was I.

felt a little different leaving there that day than it did leaving wembley 4 years later, it all could have been so different.

fergie was looking at his watch for different reason at the end of those 2 games

unfortunately the sad thing is latics fans old and new will never be as lucky again to see our little team from a town of chimneys scare the :censored: out of the big clubs all around the country, GREAT DAYS!

I looked at my calendar today and thought 8th April was a special date but couldnt remember why. Thanks to the OP for reminding me!

Yes, I was there. Similar memories to Prozac's - went on Barlows, listening to Palace beat Liverpool etc. A great day out but spoiled for me cos our seats were in the corner of Platt Lane right against the Main Stand fencing near some reds (I'll be polite today I know they're hurting :lol: ) We'd been to Maine Rd loads of times and we chose Platt Lane to be behind the goal. Anyway, loads of reds in with Latics fans and pockets of fighting after each ManU goal. Relief in the end when Ooh Roger equalised. I thought we "scored too early" with Earl's goal as they were shocked how good we were. They thought they just had to turn up and they would beat us. Loved giving it the reds after Marshall's goal - my mate thought I'd lost it!

Went in the Kippax for the replay. Gutted but nowhere near as gutted as I would be at the Wembley semifinal. Enough said.

I looked at my calendar today and thought 8th April was a special date but couldnt remember why. Thanks to the OP for reminding me!

Yes, I was there. Similar memories to Prozac's - went on Barlows, listening to Palace beat Liverpool etc. A great day out but spoiled for me cos our seats were in the corner of Platt Lane right against the Main Stand fencing near some reds (I'll be polite today I know they're hurting :lol: ) We'd been to Maine Rd loads of times and we chose Platt Lane to be behind the goal. Anyway, loads of reds in with Latics fans and pockets of fighting after each ManU goal. Relief in the end when Ooh Roger equalised. I thought we "scored too early" with Earl's goal as they were shocked how good we were. They thought they just had to turn up and they would beat us. Loved giving it the reds after Marshall's goal - my mate thought I'd lost it!

Went in the Kippax for the replay. Gutted but nowhere near as gutted as I would be at the Wembley semifinal. Enough said.

exactly the same as above, i woke up and knew it was a special date, 20 years have gone by so quickly, i wonder if in another 20 years we will be speaking about the 20 years that would have gone by??? who knows whats in store, one thing is for sure, we will be there through thick and thin. keep the faith.