Portsmouth reach the FA Cup final

Me too, because it will be meaningless as they won't be allowed into European competition. I'd like Chelsea to win the PL (to deny Man Utd the chance), then Portsmouth to beat Chelsea (to prick their egos), then nobody gets what they want and my raging bitterness wins!

final 15th of may ,i hope they beat chelsea too

am i right in thinking the winner would normally win a place in the europa cup?

whats the case now with chelsea in champs league and portsmouth not competeing next season?

am i right in thinking the winner would normally win a place in the europa cup?

whats the case now with chelsea in champs league and portsmouth not competeing next season?

It now goes to the league. UEFA changed the rules a year or two back so that Cup losers no longer get in the UEFA/Europa league, only Cup winners get in, so if the winner has already qualified for Europe, then the spot goes to the league. As Pompey can not pay in Europe next season, and Chelsea are already in the CL, then the Europa League place goes to the league. United won the Carling Cup too, so the prem now has 3 Europa League spots to play for.

Just beaten spurs 2-0. What a great achievement after the season they have had!

Think about the ethics, Pompey reaching the Final sends out so many wrong messages. however it also highlights what is wrong with football today. Personally I hope Chelsea put on a show and hammer em.

One, because they're in administration and UEFA has this slight problem with rewarding clubs that can't run themselves properly.

Two, apparently because you have to apply for a license to compete in Europe by March 1 and Portsmouth didn't bother.

One, because they're in administration and UEFA has this slight problem with rewarding clubs that can't run themselves properly.

Two, apparently because you have to apply for a license to compete in Europe by March 1 and Portsmouth didn't bother.

o ye seem to remember something about the licsence

I love it when people spout this nonsense about wanting clubs in administration to suffer, on the basis that they should have been running themselves properly in the first place rather than trying to gain an advantage by overspending, in spite of the fact that the persons or persons responsible are generally long since gone. Did Latics deserve to suffer a few years ago after Chris Moore starting signing contracts in the club's name before :censored: off and leaving us to pick up the pieces? Some people seem to have very short memories.

I love it when people spout this nonsense about wanting clubs in administration to suffer, on the basis that they should have been running themselves properly in the first place rather than trying to gain an advantage by overspending, in spite of the fact that the persons or persons responsible are generally long since gone. Did Latics deserve to suffer a few years ago after Chris Moore starting signing contracts in the club's name before :censored: off and leaving us to pick up the pieces? Some people seem to have very short memories.

What he said.

Think about the ethics, Pompey reaching the Final sends out so many wrong messages. however it also highlights what is wrong with football today. Personally I hope Chelsea put on a show and hammer em.

I agree.

Hull, Burnley, Bolton, Wolves etc should all spend millions and millions they haven't got and can't afford and to hell with the consequences.

It's not good for football that Portsmouth have got to the F.A Cup final fielding players they couldn't afford to buy and couldn't afford to pay, many of which should have been sold to pay off debts.

I agree.

Hull, Burnley, Bolton, Wolves etc should all spend millions and millions they haven't got and can't afford and to hell with the consequences.

It's not good for football that Portsmouth have got to the F.A Cup final fielding players they couldn't afford to buy and couldn't afford to pay, many of which should have been sold to pay off debts.

Many of them were sold off and they had been selling them off for a while. This season has practically been a none starter for them in the league due to problems caused maybe upwards of a few years ago. At the end of the day, they are going to get thumped by a Chelski side in the final which is in a lot more debt and which set the standard for others to follow.

Many of them were sold off and they had been selling them off for a while. This season has practically been a none starter for them in the league due to problems caused maybe upwards of a few years ago. At the end of the day, they are going to get thumped by a Chelski side in the final which is in a lot more debt and which set the standard for others to follow.

the irony of the last bit of your post just about sums up modern day football at the top level....I'm so glad we ain't part of it... :unsure::huh::blink:

Stevie - Latics weren't in a cup final and challenging for a place in Europe. If we'd been challenging for promotion while in administration I imagine other clubs' fans would be understandably hacked off (and I'd appreciate why). Portsmouth's cup success was brought by players they couldn't afford and at the expense of debtors who it's safe to assume won't see all their money back. I am sympathetic towards Pompey fans, but that's as far as it goes.

Yes, we did, and yes, they do.

Did the teams that Pompey beat paying vastly overpaid players deserve to lose? Do Cardiff deserve to be on the edge possibly due to being cheated by Portsmouth?

These cheating teams, and it is cheating by stealth, should not suffer a ten point penalty. They should just be chucked out of the league until they can return with a steady ship. That way the league retains some integrity. Teams may go under, but they will return in some format if they are genuinly places that deserve a league side (see Newport, Aldershot, Wimbledon (slightly different), York) or slightly lower down if such.