oldham fan in RRE

Yawn @ the tool etc comments... If I knew him I might care. I don't know him... Should we have a soft spot for everyone vwho once had some illness or is it just cancer that gives you a right to be s****

My gran had cancer recently and came through it fortunately perhaps I should go upto her and tell boo hoo besides I thought you had retired from this board? Do you remember or do you just not bother to read what you actually type.

He might have had cancer but you can't judge someones performance on that fact. Just because someone said is wa*k. Its no more disrespectful then if he didn't have cancer. I thought he did a decent job. He probably should have given out more yellow cards. He was a ex premier league referee afterall. good luck to him.

Edited by spadam

Its not that I dont care... Its the expectation I should care by default for someone I know nothing about...

I think I know what you're trying to say here, and I tend to agree.

However unconnected, this reminds me - did anyone pick up on that Frankie Boyle thing the other day? Amongst other parts of his "too-close-for-comfort" show he cracks some funnies about people with Downs Syndrome. Apparently there was a member of the audience who took exception to the japes and bawled about it after the show to the press etc. She didn't get up and leave in disgust, no. She stayed till the end of the show because it would have created too mcuh fuss and embarrasment.

So then you blab to the papers? This won't make any fuss?

I bet she sat there before he got onto the part where she took exception, and laughed at all his other jokes poking fun at other sections of our society.

If you know what he's like and you think he'll offend you - don't go.

If you don't know what he's like and you don't like it - leave.

If you laugh at other peoples misfortunes and then take exception to an specific one - you're a hypocrite.

I'm not his greatest fan, so I don't watch him.

I think I know what you're trying to say here, and I tend to agree.

However unconnected, this reminds me - did anyone pick up on that Frankie Boyle thing the other day? Amongst other parts of his "too-close-for-comfort" show he cracks some funnies about people with Downs Syndrome. Apparently there was a member of the audience who took exception to the japes and bawled about it after the show to the press etc. She didn't get up and leave in disgust, no. She stayed till the end of the show because it would have created too mcuh fuss and embarrasment.

So then you blab to the papers? This won't make any fuss?

I bet she sat there before he got onto the part where she took exception, and laughed at all his other jokes poking fun at other sections of our society.

If you know what he's like and you think he'll offend you - don't go.

If you don't know what he's like and you don't like it - leave.

If you laugh at other peoples misfortunes and then take exception to an specific one - you're a hypocrite.

I'm not his greatest fan, so I don't watch him.

I loved Eddy Izzard and during his latest stand up show he ripped the piss out of religious people. To the point it swung on dam right insulting... Pay your money you take your chance... Someone is always at the butt end of every joke... If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at ?

If a ref is s***e the fact he once had cancer should not stop you from saying he is s***e....

Edited by oafc0000

I loved Eddy Izzard and during his latest stand up show he ripped the piss out of religious people. To the point it swung on dam right insulting... Pay your money you take your chance... Someone is always at the butt end of every joke... If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at ?

If a ref is s***e the fact he once had cancer should not stop you from saying he is s***e....

Totally agree with your sentiment on this oafc0000. A similar scenario, albeit on a much happier front, was the return of David Beckham to Old Trafford. His appearance as a substitue was greeted with cheers and applause from all 4 sides of the ground before he was booed the first time he touched the ball for the opposition!!

With regard to Halsey, it has been widely reported in various sections of the media, that both he & his wife have been battling cancer. Fortunately, both Mr & Mrs Halsey appear to have won their respective battles and as such Mark Halsey has returned to his job as a referee.

However, in order to set the record straight, I want to point out a major discrepancy throughout this thread....Mark Halsey IS a Premiership referee. He never stopped being one. He is building up his fitness and expertise by reffing games lower down the league. He started with a reserve fixture, has done 1 or 2 League 2 games and Saturday was his first League 1 game. I have heard that his aim is to referee a Premier League game by the end of the season, and Halsey wants it to be an Everton game. This is due to the fact his last Premier match was the Everton v Arsenal game at the start of this season.

As a human being I was privileged to witness the reception Halsey got at the start of the game, but he would be the first to admit he would want to be slagged off by a fan if they disputed a decision he gave...this is part & parcel of the game and Halsey wouldn't want anything different!

Is it just me who thought the ref actually had a good game? The only gripe I had was the constantly raised arms by their centre back, but everything else i thought mark halsey got right

I thought their number 4 should have been yellow carded twice.

But Halsey's decisions were consistent, he allowed a little more to go than our "normal" refs and as such the game benefited by flowing better.

A decent display.

I thought their number 4 should have been yellow carded twice.

But Halsey's decisions were consistent, he allowed a little more to go than our "normal" refs and as such the game benefited by flowing better.

A decent display.

I thought he was generally good, but he was determined not to give either of their centre halves a second yellow. There were at least 3 fouls which were blatant yellows but he just gave the foul for the reason he would've had to send them off

yeah i thought halsey was good too.

on the cancer thing, whats with the boo hoo comments? someone points out that the reason he isnt in the premiership, is because hes regaining his fitness after cancer. nobody said he was a crap ref and we should go easy because he had cancer.

and the fact 0000 didnt know mark halsey had cancer does not suprise me in the slightest, what a mong.

Seeing as many are failing miserably to debate this without resorting to petty insults I'm simply going to close it.

I tried my best to leave it open as long as possible, but some seem incapable of debating like adults.