Manager Choice....

Guest FyldeBlue

Guest FyldeBlue

The hardest task any manager has, is dealing with players who were once his team mates, then of course Andy had also to deal with Chris Moore who was handled by Alan Hardy...!....not in the physical sense though !.... he was his puppet.

I'm no longer certain that this club with the old deadwood remaining will ever go anywhere, other than down, but then I know too much...each Manager needs to be his own man, not only having full control over all the players but able to make decisions without the aid or interference of the C.E.O.

Without any doubt Andy had a raw deal, but all those old players and his ex teammates are long gone now, we have a nucleus of young to mid range age players with a couple of 'old heads'....things would be very different and of course don't forget that Andy took Barnsley to promotion after he had left B.P.

He and Frankie Bunn are the team for me, with Lee Duxbury and Tony Philliskirk both doing fantatsic work, which they both want and enjoy doing in the reserves and youth set up....I believe it would be THE ONLY TEAM ABLE TO RESURRECT THIS CLUB after what has gone on over the last 5 or so years.

I'm baffled as to why people are against Andy Ritchie in anyway....and equally baffled as to why anyone would want Jim Gannon at B.P. what has he ever done ?... nothing is the answer, he is also not a happy bunny when fans start giving the verbals ... as a minority at B.P. are known to do....

Let us all hope that this time the TFA get it right....

Put it this way, if a manager had the exact same record as Ritchie and had managed us before but wasn't a club legend, would his name even get a mention? Look at people turning their nose up at Paul Simpson and Paul Sturrock and the records they have.

Another reason why this club will never move onwards, can't forget the past, maybe Ronnie was right along.

why anyone would want Jim Gannon at B.P. what has he ever done ?

1. Taken over a side half-way through a season when they were 92nd in the table, 10 points behind 91st place.

2. Saved that side from certain relegation out of the football league.

3. Changed the style of play of that side to one of hardworking but attractive football, relying on wingers.

4. Took that side to within 1 goal of a play-off spot the following season.

5. Took that side to play-off success at Wembley 12 months later.

6. Depsite losing their star striker, he made County a competitive League One side for much of last season.

Brought in major transfer fees for players like Liam Dickinson and Anthony Pilkington (who he brought to the club).

There may be good reasons for people not to want Jim Gannon at Oldham Athletic. But to say he has done "nothing" as a manager is complete nonsense.

I would be delighted with Gannon as manager because:

- disciplinarian

- his teams play attractive football

- he shows faith in youth rather than journeymen (note the possible impact on the wage bill)

- he's available without a pay-off needed to another club

- Under Gannon County got the results they needed in all their crunch matches (e.g. last day of the season needing a draw to survive as a league club, wins against already promoted sides to get a play-off place, play-off semi-finals, play-off final).

Edited by opinions4u

He hardly set the world alight at Huddersfield a couple of seasons back. Did he have to deal ''with players who were once his team mates'' there?

Lets pretend he never played for, or managed us (Change his stats from when he managed us, to a.n other club) Would everyone still be screaming for his appointment?

People only want him because he's a Latics legend from back in the day!

We all saw how it worked out for Big Joe last season. It will put a few extra bums on seats for a while, but what happens if/when it starts going wrong?

The hardest task any manager has, is dealing with players who were once his team mates, then of course Andy had also to deal with Chris Moore who was handled by Alan Hardy...!....not in the physical sense though !.... he was his puppet.

I'm no longer certain that this club with the old deadwood remaining will ever go anywhere, other than down, but then I know too much...each Manager needs to be his own man, not only having full control over all the players but able to make decisions without the aid or interference of the C.E.O.

Without any doubt Andy had a raw deal, but all those old players and his ex teammates are long gone now, we have a nucleus of young to mid range age players with a couple of 'old heads'....things would be very different and of course don't forget that Andy took Barnsley to promotion after he had left B.P.

He and Frankie Bunn are the team for me, with Lee Duxbury and Tony Philliskirk both doing fantatsic work, which they both want and enjoy doing in the reserves and youth set up....I believe it would be THE ONLY TEAM ABLE TO RESURRECT THIS CLUB after what has gone on over the last 5 or so years.

I'm baffled as to why people are against Andy Ritchie in anyway....and equally baffled as to why anyone would want Jim Gannon at B.P. what has he ever done ?... nothing is the answer, he is also not a happy bunny when fans start giving the verbals ... as a minority at B.P. are known to do....

If you had heard his interview on GMR last night you might have a better understanding.

To give you an idea of Ritchie's current knowledge of our team having been to several times this season, here is a corker. It went something like.

"Gregan has been out injured for a good part of the season and they have missed his experience."

surely anyone who has been to bp several times recently would know that Greegs is our only ever present. he has not missed a large oart of the season

Gernaral Franco Bunn for me please

Put it this way, if a manager had the exact same record as Ritchie and had managed us before but wasn't a club legend, would his name even get a mention? Look at people turning their nose up at Paul Simpson and Paul Sturrock and the records they have.

Another reason why this club will never move onwards, can't forget the past, maybe Ronnie was right along.

Exactly, the only way you get given a fair chance at our club is if you were somehow involved in the 'pinch me' season, it's ridiculous. Our fans are living in the past.

I don't think we're going to get any better than Ritchie, Sturrock or Simpson. Unfortunately, the TTA seem to over-react when the fans decide they don't like a manager and this is where Ritchie would be preferable to the other two as he's likely to get more patience from the fans and therefore more time from TTA. Living in the past, it maybe, but Ritchie could be the only one who will bring a bit of stability to the club with the current set-up.

As was saod above, I think Ritchie has lost touch with the game a bit (see his Gregan comment) and I would not want him as manager. I want to see the club go forwards, not backwards. Nuff said really. Ritchie has been out of the game for two years, and has been overlooked for various management jobs, including several lowly league 2 clubs. And as Senor says, you take away Ritchie's links with latics and would you touch him with a bargepole? AR is a legend at Latics as it is, I would hate to see him tarnish his legend status, and the harsh truth is, there are better managers available.

If we are going to go with an ex tic then Frankie Bunn all the way.

As Joe Royle said, there's an oldness about the place. We have to move on from the Royle era and the players he had. I'm not even Ritchie would bring the crowds back in any significant numbers.

We need a manager in who can maximise the budget he is given, even a reduction in the budget we should still be able to get a good squad in place. For every Eyres and Sheridan is a Thom and Prenderville.

If we can get Gannon all the better, I can't see it though, not with a reduced budget. I can see it being an appointment from within. Gray, Dux or Greegs. Take your pick none of them fill me with much confidence though.

we have to get it right now because we have lost so many fans these last few years...I'TS nicky butt for me we need raw premiership reserves and he has the contacts...

Just heard on radio scotlands sports programme that gannon is known throughout scottish football as the "drawing pin" cos hes a we prick with a big heed after his spell up there .

Roger Palmer and Earl Barret as new management team :wink:

Unless someone with a big name & reptuation has put his name into the hat (well big compared to latics) i.e paul jewell or gareth southgate, then i reckon its between gannon and ritchie/bunn

However people have been saying stuff about nicky butt being in contention? Was mentioned the night before penney was sacked i believe? I could see this as something corney would attempt to pull off though

+1...

Guest FyldeBlue

Si Senor .... as usual coming out with the same old rubbish - Paul Simpson or Paul Sturrock ...you're getting worse pal...

Guest FyldeBlue
The hardest task any manager has, is dealing with players who were once his team mates, VERY accurate but as I have posted before AH was VERY supportive of Andy even in the week he was sacked. Moore wanted a change and senior pros let him down. Simples.

Very fair post ..............

Hi Hallam...

Believe whatever you're told mate....but have to ask ... who was it told you that A.H. gave Andy full support ?.....my guess would be A.H. himself, but what else would he tell you ?....you're kidding yourself if you believe anything you hear about him.... just ask the right people mate.

There are too many strange things have gone down at B.P. over umpteen years.... have you ever asked yourself why ?

Best wishes and regards as always.. :grin:

Si Senor .... as usual coming out with the same old rubbish - Paul Simpson or Paul Sturrock ...you're getting worse pal...

Does Ritchie have a better record than either of those two?

I want neither of them if thats what you are referring, but both have proved to be better managers than our former player.

Guest FyldeBlue
Does Ritchie have a better record than either of those two?

I want neither of them if thats what you are referring, but both have proved to be better managers than our former player.

The problem you have senor, is you look at the simple picture and forget to look at all the content, the simple facts are that of all the Managers we've had in the last 10 years....Andy was the only one never given a decent chance to do his job, he also had the previous problem I've mentioned of having to handle some of his ex-team mates.

Having seen some of these ex-team mates perform on the pitch in the same matches, I know full well why I would never ever stand up for players like Stuart Barlow and others who shall remain nameless who quite openly abused the position of Andy Ritchie as their appointed Manager.

However move on, Chris Moore for whatever reason decided in one of his wild whims... to tell Olver Hardy to get rid of him ?....and on the very night we beat Tranmere ...why make such a decision ?... because Andy would not go out and spend money wildly without giving it serious consideration such as was this or any player the right one for OAFC....his only real purchase which we paid money for was the left full-back and as old age has dampened my memory I can't recall his name.... Chris Anderson was it ...? I'm sure you and others will quickly remind me.

During his time as Manager he brought in a number of loan players, and I can remind you that almost every single one of them went on to become quality footballers at their respective clubs, I again can't recall any real failures in his choice of loanees.

The main reason Andy was sacked by Barnsley was because he would NOT go out and waste money on any old player that happened to be pissed off with his own club....he took a great deal of trouble and spent a lot of time, getting to find out all about potential signings.....rather than waste anyones money, though with Chris Moore it hardly mattered as and as it later transpired.....his money was not his after all.

I finalise with another small problem that Andy Ritchie had to deal with, he never had a choice of Assistant, he was told he had to have Billy whatsit and that was that, with respect Bill Whatsit was great with the younger players, but once in my own conversation with him at Bloomfield Road one night, I happened to mention a potential player whom I thought would be a good signing for OAFC....his reply " oh we don't want players like that, he's useless"......needless to say the player concerned went on to have a loan and very successful career with many international caps and I believe he may have only just retired from the game.

Sadly my friend this happens all the time, I personally told the club that there was a youngster called Luke Beckett playing for a South Shore team in Blackpool, the club decided he was not so good, and what happened ?.. we ended up with him some 12 years later when he was in fact crocked and reaching the end of career.

I have nothing but respect for you and anyone else who posts on OWTB... it is their opinion, but have to say sometimes, some people do spout an absolute load of garbage, which is exactly what some of them will say about what I've said.

We all want success for OAFC... I'm not dwelling on the past ... what's the point ?... it's gone,.....I'm just and as you are, stating my opinions

Best wishes and regards Senor....

Actually it was my dads viewpoint as in the club 2 days before Andy went and AH just saying OTHER SENIOR PLAYERS letting Andy down with performances and causing issues in dressing room said nothing like you infer. Just was VERY POSITIVE about Andy nowhere did I say FULL support but then again it wasnt NO support. Dad works with 2 ex tics in the know with similar views, who blame someone else for hell of a lot that gets churned up on here. No AH fan by any means but Moore wanted him out others didnt help.

As for strange things... The club would have been out of buisness in early 1960s without my relatives money paying wages, electric bills etc, week in week out, finding houses for players rent free, so its nothing new, doing repairs for free, giving machinery, welding, signwriting etc etc... perhaps you dont know all the right people either.... :wink: Yet at the time he got stick for not doing enough. Nowt changes in football other than inflated prices.

I feel Alan Hardy should no longer be at the club, there have been far too many bad things gone on at the club under his role as CEO, I feel he is holding the club back. This was a point I was trying to make last week before I got shot at.

I feel Alan Hardy should no longer be at the club, there have been far too many bad things gone on at the club under his role as CEO, I feel he is holding the club back. This was a point I was trying to make last week before I got shot at.

I agree, stopped me getting brookes or gregans shirt after the game :ranting::mad:

Guest FyldeBlue
The only capacity I would like to see Ritchie at the club again would be number 2 to Bunn. Absolutely not as manager.

OK Carl you as usual express your views quite strongly, yet in this case and as in many others give absolutely no clear explanation or reasons for making your opinion the right one for the club, what did Andy have to say about you when he was at the club...?...and you had the role you had....OK the the past is exactly that.

Now give us a logical reasons to why you prefer Frank Bunn as a Manager when he has absolutely no experience of being one !....and why on earth would he take preference over Andy Ritchie who has experience and as far as I'm aware never did anything wrong in all his time at the club and as I've said never had a chance to be his own man at Boundary Park.

With that final comment I have to say I remain seriously concerned that he and any other appointee, would have great difficulty in 'being their own man'... whilst we have the office of C.E.O. plus extras !...at the club, being paid substantial sums of money - that and to use your method - we can't afford under any circumstances.

The new broom needs to come into B.P. before I and any of my family ever come back to B.P.....whilst Oliver remains at the club, never, ever.......you would feel exactly the same under the circumstances as we know them, many other people who have been lifetime fans feel the same and stay away.

Regards as always.... :grin: