Martin To Apply

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin is NOT the man to take the helm, lets get someone with a bit of passion, Gray is a clone of Penney, the two obviously lost the players and the fans and I think it would be suicide to appoint him. :blink:

I would like Gannon :grin: and if not Bunn/Ritchie :wink: ......................an interesting one is the rumour about Mike Phelan, although his name was in the running for Burnley so can't see it. One defo i'm not interested in is Nicky Butt- no ta! Burley is looking, that could be an interesting appointment if we can afford him but sadly I don't think we can! :disappointed:

only difference between martin and penny is martin moves on the sideline ;)

If we were to employ Gray as manager then we may as well have kept Penney on!!!

Gray would be on a hiding to nothing.....if we were to start next season in the same way as last his head would be on the block within a couple of weeks and his appointment would not persuade fans to buy season tickets!!!

No real reason to not want gray except I can't see the fans being happy. The only chance he had would have been to play himself into the job. I.e. Come in for the last 5 games and win 3/4 of them.

Gannon or someone given their first chance: Bunn, Speed, Windass (ha)

If we were to employ Gray as manager then we may as well have kept Penney on!!!

Gray would be on a hiding to nothing.....if we were to start next season in the same way as last his head would be on the block within a couple of weeks and his appointment would not persuade fans to buy season tickets!!!

I agree, gray wouldn't start off on an even keel and with a clean slate. It would be a ticking time bomb situation.

I can't make my mind up on the best candidate, but it does need to be chosen on suitability and not just on sentiment.

It's imperative we get this next appointment right and attempt to move the club forward....We've been in the doldrums for far too long!

I agree, gray wouldn't start off on an even keel and with a clean slate. It would be a ticking time bomb situation.I can't make my mind up on the best candidate, but it does need to be chosen on suitability and not just on sentiment.

It's imperative we get this next appointment right and attempt to move the club forward....We've been in the doldrums for far too long!

That’s the point for me with offering MG the job. Whether he is or isn’t – he is perceived to be Penney Mark #2.

He will be on a tightrope right from the start; with a poor set of results meaning he’ll be having ‘Shi&te Geordie Barsterd’ sung at him in no time.

I think all the parties involved in Dave_Gate are best moving on; DP & Collett have; I think it’s best if MG follows……

Ive got a sneaky feeling he might get it on financial grounds, I think the club will offer to to a few applicants at 'below rate' salary and if they turn it down, it will be offered to Gray.

Appointing Gray would force me to lose even more interest in Latics rather than gain it with someone like Gannon or Bunn, or even someone like Speed.

If TTA are touting for fans opinions on this issue, please don't appoint him. Terrible move for the club which nobody wants.

Edited by LaticsLegend

There is no reason for Gray getting the job that would exclude Dux from contention.

A decision to appoint Gray would be suicide from the board. If they sacked DP because of attendances, bringing in his no.2 will do very little. I said on Saturday that no-one is better placed not to make the same mistakes as Penney than Gray because he was here throughout the old manager's reign and knows what not to do. Then he puts out the same team with the same tactics as we've had all season.

PLEASE GRAY, DON'T STAY...

Martin Gray's only 38 and time will tell if he's got what it takes to become a successful manager.

My only question would be, if he has any good ideas to push us forward, why did he not impress these upon Dave Penney?

Martin Gray's only 38 and time will tell if he's got what it takes to become a successful manager.

My only question would be, if he has any good ideas to push us forward, why did he not impress these upon Dave Penney?

It’s extremely difficult as a number 2 to try and stamp your authority whilst the number 1 is in overall charge. I have that issue on a daily basis in my work (I’m the #2!) and whilst you may be able to implement new systems; the overall say always lies with the number 1.

For all we know, MG may have been trying to bring new ideas, new changes, new tactics, new <whatevers> and DP may have been blocking them. The change in formation at Huddersfield may have been MG’s idea? It may have been DP’s; we don’t know? Mike Newton did allude to the fact that MG was extremely hard- working & dedicated – taking in DVD’s of games and looking for new ideas etc.

I’m not for one minute saying that he (MG) is my 1st choice; nor that he is in my opinion a good choice either – but from a few comments from people within the club; I think he is going to be considered for it.

Edited by slystallone

Post sacking, Penny and Gray breakfasted together on the eve, (or was it the morn) of the Charlton match. Suprised no-one has mentioned this...

Birds of a feather...?

Not a chance he'll get it... I'll show mi ... on the Town hall steps if he does...

Cheers,

KC

Post sacking, Penny and Gray breakfasted together on the eve, (or was it the morn) of the Charlton match. Suprised no-one has mentioned this...

Birds of a feather...?

Not a chance he'll get it... I'll show mi ... on the Town hall steps if he does...

Cheers,

KC

I'm sure there were a couple of questions that Gray avoided answering directly, the questions are very quiet in the background. I do have my thoughts on some of the things that he said too.

Two meetings? 1 on Monday afternoon and 1 today (with Blitz, Gazal & Corney)

Edited by tangerinedreams

I'm sure there were a couple of questions that Gray avoided answering directly, the questions are very quiet in the background. I do have my thoughts on some of the things that he said too.

Two meetings? 1 on Monday afternoon and 1 today (with Blitz, Gazal & Corney)

I'm not a fan of appointing Gray but a note of caution, we were underwhelmed with Wadsworth, I was even more underwhelmed when he was replaced by his no. 2, that didn't turn out bad.

my own choice would be someone like Gareth Southgate, always thought he had 'Boro playing well despite the money (in Prem League terms) drying up and before his sacking they were on course for at least the Play Offs.

If not Southgate, I think Bunn would be a good choice. A man who has learning his trade, is used to working with younger players and who is very well thought of within the game.

If he (Bunn or Southgate) does well, he'll move on - win win situation for both parties imo. Unlikely to happen I know but just my two penneth...

Last time a Latics manager was sacked and his assistant took over? Mick Wadsworth, step up Mr Iain Dowie. Now he didnt do a terrible job at all.

Although to be honest i wouldnt even consider stepping foot in BP if Martin Gray is appointed

Edit: Bastard above beat me to it!

Edited by youngen

Direct Quote from the ever realiable wikipedia:

"On 10th May 2010, Gannon agreed to become the new manager of Oldham Athletic having been approached by and offered the job by Simon Cornball, commencing from 24th May 2010. Oldham had relieved manager Dave Penney earlier in the month. Gannon was a hot favourite for the vacant position along with former Shrewbury, Preston and Rochdale manager; Paul Simpson. Gannon has signed a 3-year deal and will look to build on Latics' past history and fire them back into the Championship, ahead of the proposed new stadium in Failsworth."

Gray will be associated with Penney and that is the kiss of death for him. The season ticket rush would stop in an instant and how long would the fans give him if we did not get off to a good start next season ? In different circumstances he might well be ok for consideration but to appoint him would be a pr disaster.

season ticket rush. ahem cough. :shock: