England's 30 Man Squad

Not sure who he'll take out of this lot, but full marks for FINALLY realising Brown is a bag of :censored:e.

I guess he'll look at taking in the 23 (barring injury):

Hart, James, Green

Carragher, G Johnson, Terry, Rio, Upson, King, A Cole, Baines (no Warnock or Dawson)

Barry, Carrick, Lennon, J Cole, A Johnson, Walcott, Lampard, Gerrard (no Huddlestone, Parker, SWP or Milner)

Crouch, Defoe, Heskey and Rooney (no Bent).

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Not sure who he'll take out of this lot, but full marks for FINALLY realising Brown is a bag of :censored:e.

Hart, James, Green

Carragher, G Johnson, Terry, Rio, Upson, King, A Cole, Baines (no Warnock or Dawson)

Barry, Carrick, Lennon, J Cole, A Johnson, Walcott, Lampard, Gerrard (no Huddlestone, Parker, SWP or Milner)

Milner is a definite for me so would see him in above Walcott or Joe Cole but think everything else is spot on.

Hart, James, Green

Milner will go instead of cole for me - too much versatility not to be in.

I'd say Carrick's place might be up for grabs too - From both Parker and Hudd's - and Barry is less than 50/50

The GK's/Defence/Attack is nailed on as the above IMO. (especially if you take Walcott who can be a 5th striker) Just the midfield which is up for grabs.

Carragher should be nowhere near that squad. Anyone who retires from playing for their country just because they are struggling to break into the team should never be considered again. I could sort of understand if he had made himself available for the qualifiers...but he didn't. There is no way that he deserves a place in the 30, let alone on the plane.

Hart, James, Green

I think Milner is certain to be in the 23, Barry looks more than a bit doubtful.

I know Wes Brown isn't exactly Lucio, but surely he's a better rightback/centre-half cover than Carragher?

I agree Milner is a definite. Not sure about Walcott, Johnson may have appeared on the scene just too late (Capello really isn't a gambler). If Barry doesn't make it Huddlestone might. Carrick definitely will.

I think will but will only be used as a sub in the last 20 minutes or so, his pace can tear defences to pieces, pity his finishing wasn't the same, I'm not even going to venture into his 1 on 1s :disappointed:

But Lennon does the same job and is an awful lot better at it.

I know Wes Brown isn't exactly Lucio, but surely he's a better rightback/centre-half cover than Carragher?

I agree Milner is a definite. Not sure about Walcott, Johnson may have appeared on the scene just too late (Capello really isn't a gambler). If Barry doesn't make it Huddlestone might. Carrick definitely will.

Brown's injured.

Joe Cole will go, never let England down and I think Capello likes him. Plus he can play either side.

"People who think Johnson is (currently) better than SWP are the same morons who think Bellamy is a better player thank Robinho." From my city supporting mate.

I can see Johnson getting the cut and one of Walcott or Lennon. Fitness may mean Fabio has to pick SWP and choose one of Walcott or Lennon.

But Lennon does the same job and is an awful lot better at it.

Rubbish, as an impact sub Walcott is the best. Over 90 mins Lennon is the better bet. Decent two to have but I can't help but think neither is match fit and it would be a risk to take both unless Capello is sure they can last the tournament.

I don't think Capello is a dummy he won't take anyone who isn't fully fit (with the exception of Rooney) and they will have to have been playing for their clubs regularly (hence why Richards isn't in that squad and he asked Carragher to come back). Barry is doubtful through injury, Carrick has been out of sorts for Man United (some rumours that Fergie is looking to offload him), however, Huddlestone and Parker are both fully fit and have been playing regularly. Lennon is also just coming back from injury but Johnson (despite not having a cap) is fully fit and been shining for Citeh. I'm not convinced Heskey will go (I think he might) but Bent is playing a lot more has scored more goals than all but 2 in the Premiership and is fit.

We shall see but i don't think Capello will make the same mistake as Sven did and not have enough options to turn round a loosing position.

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Taken from The Times.

Edited by tangerinedreams

Only 10 players in the World Cup winning Italian squad in 2006 have kept their place. And that number could be less in the final 23.

That's mad.

Not really that Italian team was quite old and I would reckon on some of them being past it now. Plus it wasn't that good a squad.

Not one Inter player either!

Julio Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Motta, Eto'o, Sneijder, Pandev, Milito.

Subs: Toldo, Cordoba, Muntari, Mariga, Materazzi, Chivu, Balotelli.

That was the inter team against Barca (2nd leg)- except Chivu ended up being a late starter, Toldo, Materazzi and Balotelli are the only Italians in it. Toldo is quite old (and couldn't get near to keeping Buffon out of the team if he tried), Materazzi is a big thug who is also close to being passed it, Balotelli is a tempetous so and so who has talent but never puts enough effort in and is quite young (he'll be there or there abouts in a couple of years though I would think).

Carragher should be nowhere near that squad. Anyone who retires from playing for their country just because they are struggling to break into the team should never be considered again. I could sort of understand if he had made himself available for the qualifiers...but he didn't. There is no way that he deserves a place in the 30, let alone on the plane.

I think it's hilarious that Carragher's come out of international retirement just to p*ss Evertonians off by keeping Jagielka out of the squad.