POLL : Do you think Failsworth is in Oldham ?

Do you think Failsworth is in Oldham ?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Failsworth is in Oldham ?

• Yes
    • No

There are arguments for and against Failsworth being in Oldham, but perhaps the main thing for some of us is how the fans (and wider community) perceive it to be.

EDIT : Please will one of the mods correct the typo in the main title. Cheers.

Edited by Yard Dog

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work at a school in Failsworth and that was classed as Manchester in the address and Postcode!!!!!!!

Postal address, postal code.

Which is all determined by the location of the sorting office which deals with the post for the place in question.

Perhaps people should ask themselves why the people of Shaw, particularly from 1974 onwards, used the address:- 42 Whichever Street, Shaw, Nr Oldham.

Hence, Shaw is not part of "Oldham" but is part of "Oldham MBC" same goes for Royton, Chadderton and Failsworth. Don't even start on Saddleworth.

Whoop Whoop, hey DJ spin that Disc.

If you live in the area Failsworth aint really Failsworth until you hit Mcdonalds , Broadway is about half a mile away up Manchester/Oldham Rd which in the opposite direction about a mile away is the bottom of Hollins Rd/Roxy Cinema and as your coming from Broadway where really does Chadderton end and Failsworth begin in the end Oldham are gonna get a new stadium built why cant people just accept it and be glad of it. Boundary Park will be forever in our hearts but it is a :censored:hole!

Whatever a handful of posters on here think, many of which dont even live in the area, people who live in Failsworth do not consider themselves to be Oldhamers.

There is no logic in building a new stadium 3 miles within Manchester City, in an area where we have absolutely no support whatsover, other than that fact that land is cheaper on the outskirts of Newton Heath than it is in Oldham. The thought of every two weeks, thousands travellig from Oldham, Shaw, Royton and Chadderton to the outskirts of Manchester makes no sense either environmentally or logistically.

I would also hope that the club changes its name from Oldham Athletic to Manchester North End or whatever, because my club which has been proudly represented by such legends as Andy Ritchie, Roger Palmer, Earl Barrett, David Eyres etc would not be my club, or the club of Oldham if it is located in the suggested area. Similar to the MK Dons situation, the club couldn't possibly retain the Oldham name. It would be insulting to suggest that it would be the same club.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

Whatever a handful of posters on here think, many of which dont even live in the area, people who live in Failsworth do not consider themselves to be Oldhamers.

A google of "is failsworth in oldham or manchester found this",

http://is-is.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22...=3535#topic_top

speaks volumes, rather than what the club, the council and a handful on here would have you think.

Everyone I know in Failsworth has a Manc accent, and class themselves as Manc's. Plus the new ground (which I assume is the reason for the poll) is probably going to be more like New Moston, which is definitely Manchester...

A google of "is failsworth in oldham or manchester found this",

http://is-is.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22...=3535#topic_top

speaks volumes, rather than what the club, the council and a handful on here would have you think.

Well, what a couple of dozen of people on Facebook said 2 or 3 years ago must swing the argument.

One of them did actually post:

i take it this question means is failsworth oldham or manchester? it never has been part of manchester before it was under oldham it was failswoth urban district council failsworth people have never paid a cent to manchester city council.

as for post codes, try telling the peolple of salford that they're part of manchester because they have a manchester post code and see what response you get. post codes mean nothing. rochdale has an oldham post code, according to that logic stalybridge is part of stockport.

Well, what a couple of dozen of people on Facebook said 2 or 3 years ago must swing the argument.

One of them did actually post:

You're making the same mistake though; why do people on here who are sad enough to spend the time they do on this site think that their view is representative of Oldham fans in general? I stop by on here for a laugh, and there have been plenty of those over the last few years. But the people who camp out on here need to get a life. I've been drawn into more debate than I'd like to mention but I've had enough. Another Failsworth debate? No thanks, made my mind up I won't be having any of it.

OAFC RIP!

Whatever a handful of posters on here think, many of which dont even live in the area, people who live in Failsworth do not consider themselves to be Oldhamers. But this bit is based on what exactly? Your findings on facebook? Or just your opinion from Morrside?

There is no logic in building a new stadium 3 miles within Manchester City, in an area where we have absolutely no support whatsover, other than that fact that land is cheaper on the outskirts of Newton Heath than it is in Oldham. The thought of every two weeks, thousands travellig from Oldham, Shaw, Royton and Chadderton to the outskirts of Manchester makes no sense either environmentally or logistically.

I would also hope that the club changes its name from Oldham Athletic to Manchester North End or whatever, because my club which has been proudly represented by such legends as Andy Ritchie, Hasn't he recently come out in favour of the move? Roger Palmer, Earl Barrett, David Eyres etc would not be my club, or the club of Oldham if it is located in the suggested area. Similar to the MK Dons situationThey moved about 60 miles from Plough Lane, That's like moving to York or Stafford, Lancaster or past Liverpool into the Irish Sea. 60 miles is the same as 3 miles? Yeah!, the club couldn't possibly retain the Oldham name. It would be insulting to suggest that it would be the same club.

There are many arguments as to why Failsworth is NOT in Oldham.

I can only think of one argument to back up the statement that Failsworth is in Oldham and that is Failsworth residents pay their rates to Oldham and so are served by OMBC. Are there any other arguments anyone can put forward to back up the statement that Failsworth is in Oldham ?

Edited by Yard Dog

I don't get the point of this poll??? Maybe the question ought to be rephrased to 'Do you perceive Failsworth to be part of Oldham?

The bottom line is Failsworth is part of the metropolitan borough of Oldham and has been since 1974. The perception of the people who live there and where they deem themselves to live/be part of is a different matter, as is whether Failsworth is the most suitable part of Oldham to move to, but creating a poll to ask whether people think failsworth is in Oldham or not is like creating a poll asking whether people think the earth revolves around the sun or not.

I don't get the point of this poll??? Maybe the question ought to be rephrased?

The bottom line is Failsworth is part of the metropolitan borough of Oldham and has been since 1974. The perception of the people who live there and where they deem themselves to live/be part of is a different matter, as is whether Failsworth is the most suitable part of Oldham to move to, but creating a poll to ask whether people think failsworth is in Oldham or not is like creating a poll asking whether people think the earth revolves around the sun or not.

The point of the poll is to get an idea of people's perception on the matter...

There is no 'bottom line', or definitive answer.....there are arguments for and against, but at the end of the day what probably matters most (if you're even bothered in the first place) is the perception...

Edited by Yard Dog

The point of the poll is to get an idea of people's perception on the matter...

There is no 'bottom line', or definitive answer.....there are arguments for and against, but at the end of the day what probably matters most (if you're even bothered in the first place) is the perception...

Ok then, rephrase the question

"Do you perceive Failsworth to be part of Oldham"

to this question no there is no definitive answer or bottom line. But to the question

"Is Failsworth part of Oldham"

Then there really is a simple bottom line answer, which is yes it is part of Oldham, and has been since 1974.

There are many arguments as to why Failsworth is NOT in Oldham.

I can only think of one argument to back up the statement that Failsworth is in Oldham and that is Failsworth residents pay their rates to Oldham and so are served by OMBC. Are there any other arguments anyone can put forward to back up the statement that Failsworth is in Oldham ?

This a pretty big point tbh, kinda outweighs arguments like 'they talk in a Manc accent'.