Worthy, Cobeck, Purdie and JJ can go...

The 12 month contract could be a big mistake for PD. i'd be gutted to see a decent improvement on last year only for someone else to snap up his potential. Paul - please don't go!

But it's the sensible option no? If he's a duck egg; we're not saddled with a 2/3 deal to pay up. If he turns out to be a good un, then by Xmas a new deal should be on the table?

sensible way after Penney i'd say?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 12 month contract could be a big mistake for PD. i'd be gutted to see a decent improvement on last year only for someone else to snap up his potential. Paul - please don't go!

12 months ago were you one of those that thought Dean Furman was a £1million player and would go to the world cup, and that Kiegan Parker would get 15 goals in this coming season?

Lets see what happens shall we he hasn't even managed us in 1 competitive game yet. I'm sure if we get a good start we will be having a Dickov or Dowie poll by someone getting carried away in september.

i can't see we're expecting to get money back for any of them - just get them off the wage bill?

i'd imagine all 4 should find clubs on a free.

only stumbling block I can see is if DP put them on decent wages they won't get elsewhere

I think that will be the stumbling block Harry they are all contracted for another year so they don't have to leave they can see out their contract even if that means rotting in the reserves. we won't be looking for fees for any of them b ut in reality I can only see them leaving before that contract is over is by getting a better contract elsewhere which I can't see happening.

Having said that I think the best option would be for all to go out on loan and the other club pays a percentage of their wage if we were able to do that for all 4 we could then have the option of bringing someone in, the player gets an opportunity to put themselves in the window and som e club gets a player that the are only paying a certain % of their wage. Everyone wins!

I think that will be the stumbling block Harry they are all contracted for another year so they don't have to leave they can see out their contract even if that means rotting in the reserves. we won't be looking for fees for any of them b ut in reality I can only see them leaving before that contract is over is by getting a better contract elsewhere which I can't see happening.

Having said that I think the best option would be for all to go out on loan and the other club pays a percentage of their wage if we were able to do that for all 4 we could then have the option of bringing someone in, the player gets an opportunity to put themselves in the window and som e club gets a player that the are only paying a certain % of their wage. Everyone wins!

I think all 4 are at the stage of their careers where they couldn't afford to miss out on a season playing by sitting in the reserves.

Probably out on loan is the most feasible option but it just goes to show where we were going with Penny.

After seeing him for just one game i was astounded to think we had actually paid any fee for Colbeck never mind £60k the club just couldn't afford.

worthington and colbeck can go. wanted them both to do well but i didnt go to wycombe so cant say colbeck has ever been good, and worthington was shocking after his injury.

jacobson looked good when he played but him and purdie have been injured so maybe PD doesnt want to risk it.

or maybe, all of them were put on high wages and now blitz and gazal have left, and they werent really going to play too much, theyre trying to reduce the wage bill. i would imagine at least worthington would be on a decent wage.

good luck to them all. hope we send purdie to stockport to get fitness up

Give Rochdale a call. Last I read they were struggling to compete for players in wage terms.

They can take this lot on loan for a decent contribution. Suit them down to the ground.

not seen the bookies prices for the coming season but it would be interesting to see if 'Dale are a longer or shorter price than us to go up.

Give me your fiver and I think I might put it on 'Dale finishing above us

not seen the bookies prices for the coming season but it would be interesting to see if 'Dale are a longer or shorter price than us to go up.

no chance they will struggle

Just had a look on Sky Bet, we are 66/1 Dale are 125/1. Worth a fiver if thats what you believe, I would gladly take your money if you want to up the stakes :grin:

I'll take your bet, and considerably more than a fiver if you want.

12 months ago were you one of those that thought Dean Furman was a £1million player and would go to the world cup, and that Kiegan Parker would get 15 goals in this coming season?

Lets see what happens shall we he hasn't even managed us in 1 competitive game yet. I'm sure if we get a good start we will be having a Dickov or Dowie poll by someone getting carried away in september.

Err no, why would I think that?? Furman was the singularly most overrated player that has been signed in my time of watching Latics

And clearly Dickov hasn't been in charge for a compettitive game yet but knowing Latics we will have unearthed a gem but not tied them down to a long enough contract. If he is doing well by Christmas then I fully expect a few others to be sniffing round.

Disclaimer

I am not saying that Paul Dickov is the best manager we have seen and that he will thrust us up into the heights of English football once more but there is the possible worry that we have struck on a decent formula which may walk if succesful

I personally think Furman will come good this coming season. He was often played out of position in a more deeper role under Penney. A different manager, new recruits, different formation and different tactics will allow Dean to play to his strengths. With Jones sitting deeper, this will allow Stephens and Furman to go forward and support the flanks as well as Feeney and Abbott up top.

Remember this was a lad who was in demand, came through the ranks at Rangers - admittedly a Scottish club but one of their largest and one which is brutal when releasing their youth players who aren't making the grade - and we were fortunate to sign him up.

I have a good feeling about this coming season under the guidance of Dickov & Taggart. They'll develop those who have previously under-performed but have potential, already discarding those who obviously can't add value and strengthening the team with recent additions. Both Jones and Feeney are far better than than what we had already.

I personally think Furman will come good this coming season. He was often played out of position in a more deeper role under Penney. A different manager, new recruits, different formation and different tactics will allow Dean to play to his strengths. With Jones sitting deeper, this will allow Stephens and Furman to go forward and support the flanks as well as Feeney and Abbott up top.

Remember this was a lad who was in demand, came through the ranks at Rangers - admittedly a Scottish club but one of their largest and one which is brutal when releasing their youth players who aren't making the grade - and we were fortunate to sign him up.

I have a good feeling about this coming season under the guidance of Dickov & Taggart. They'll develop those who have previously under-performed but have potential, already discarding those who obviously can't add value and strengthening the team with recent additions. Both Jones and Feeney are far better than than what we had already.

Might be pissing on your chips here; but Jones isn’t a holding midfielder – he’ll be the one in the advanced role; with either Stephens or Furman asked to play behind him.

I’d say that it’s looking like it’s going to be Dean that’s on the bench to start with; with Jones & Stephens in the 2 starting berths. He (DF) was massively talked up on here and so far he’s delivered diddly squat for us. I will of course give him support if & when he plays (that’s a given) but I think we (& by that I mean Penney) were foolhardy to pay a fee for him; especially considering we don’t exactly have a bursting wallet financially…….