tonights game

first friendly ive been to this year and i was very impressed. seem like a totally different team from last season. far more urgency people want the ball and want to get forward. didnt allow wigan any time on the ball and lots of positives to take into the season. also if the players were still unsure of what dickov expects of them his cameo tonight will leave them in no doubt

first friendly ive been to this year and i was very impressed. seem like a totally different team from last season. far more urgency people want the ball and want to get forward. didnt allow wigan any time on the ball and lots of positives to take into the season. also if the players were still unsure of what dickov expects of them his cameo tonight will leave them in no doubt

good stuff

how many did the identity thieves bring, cos just under 2000 is poor

good stuff

how many did the identity thieves bring, cos just under 2000 is poor

Brill - Good handling, look assured, wonder save he knew little about

Lee- Tidy, kept the ball. Caught out a few times by the overlap

Rubes - won headers all night, passed it well

Jarrett - Good on the ball, one great last ditch challenge that earns him a 12 month deal imo. No substitute for experience.

Black - Pushed on, tackled, harried and worked hard

Jones - Looked good on the right, put in a good cross for the goal and looked to get the ball in at every opportunity.

Stephens - great strike, won the ball back, tackled well and we've got a helluva fight to keep hold of this boy imo. Said it from the start to anyone that would listen. This lad is CLASS!

Furman - Busy, put his foot in and looks so much better when going forward.

Lewi - worked as hard as i've seen him, good on the ball, too much football when defending and I'll be surprised if he's here come August. He's no wide-player so perhaps a move is best for all.

Feeney - worked his arse off for little reward, but does exactly what it says on the tin

Brooke - Acquitted himself well against a big WIgan side, a shortage of clear openings

Subs:

McDonald - Looks assured and worth a deal imo

Pav - More huff than puff, looks short of fitness - a bit similar to last year, so jury's out so far. But wondering why him and Feeney were not paired????

Millar - A true out and out wide player, sort the end product and who knows

Kompany - Looked very assured, would like to see more of him and quite skilful

Dickov - Lifted the place, with his late cameo and there's a few Wigwam players that will be sore in the morning and a few who soiled themselves! The manager set the standard with the expected effort and application.

All in all more encouragement, we kept the ball, passed it well and there were flashes of good link up play. We saw overlapping fullbacks and good runs from midfield, what was most pleasing to see was the desire to win the ball back with positive results.

Add the additions we need and we'll be ok this season imo. Last season I saw us struggling this year I think we'll be bloody hard to beat.

Jarrett - Good on the ball, one great last ditch challenge that earns him a 12 month deal imo. No substitute for experience.

Jones - Looked good on the right, put in a good cross for the goal and looked to get the ball in at every opportunity.

Stephens - great strike, won the ball back, tackled well and we've got a helluva fight to keep hold of this boy imo. Said it from the start to anyone that would listen. This lad is CLASS!

Lewi - worked as hard as i've seen him, good on the ball, too much football when defending and I'll be surprised if he's here come August. He's no wide-player so perhaps a move is best for all.

Feeney - worked his arse off for little reward, but does exactly what it says on the tin

Brooke - Acquitted himself well against a big WIgan side, a shortage of clear openings

Subs:

Pav - More huff than puff, looks short of fitness - a bit similar to last year, so jury's out so far. But wondering why him and Feeney were not paired????

Dickov - Lifted the place, with his late cameo and there's a few Wigwam players that will be sore in the morning and a few who soiled themselves! The manager set the standard with the expected effort and application.

All in all more encouragement, we kept the ball, passed it well and there were flashes of good link up play. We saw overlapping fullbacks and good runs from midfield, what was most pleasing to see was the desire to win the ball back with positive results.

Add the additions we need and we'll be ok this season imo. Last season I saw us struggling this year I think we'll be bloody hard to beat.

PS Goals have already been on SSN!

We need some pace in the side IMO. A centre back (or jarrett) and a left footer.

I'm hopeful we can do alright this year. I'm going off the burnley performance, I had to work tonight.

What was the Wigan team? (I'd like to know the standard and if they took it seriously)

Edited by pukka

We need some pace in the side IMO. A centre back (or jarrett) and a left footer.

I'm hopeful we can do alright this year. I'm going off the burnley performance, I had to work tonight.

What was the Wigan team? (I'd like to know the standard and if they took it seriously)

First team played first half then a few changes at HT but VERY strong, a big side that looked awful and bloody clueless at times!

Subs:

have to agree with most of that,

thought Brooke had a very good game that will now definitely rank him above eaves, won 90% of the headers against a much bigger man ans loves a tackle for a forward it seems.

Kompany didn't have long, when he had the ball he distributed it well but he kept turning his back on the game when he could have been more of an option, he still has a few games to impress so we will see - very unsure about him

Abbott thought he would have all the time in the world when he received the ball, he didn't, but he does not look fit at all, and looked knackered after his 25 mins or so

all in all a good performance

and i cant wait to see fans reactions to the gaffer at away grounds

Edited by palmer1

first-half: Al-Habsi, Boyce, Golobart, Amaya, Mustoe; Diame, Sekou (trialist), N'Zogbia, Watson, Moses; Scotland

second-half: Pollitt, Boyce, Amaya (Redmond, 78), Golobart, Mustoe, McCarthy, Sekou, Gomez, Lauren, Rodallega, Boselli

Subs: Serrano, Holt, Langley, de Ridder, Breeze, McManaman,

Most of the wigan first choicers played over the 90 mins and at times they did look a class above. But they did not like the tempo we played at especially when closing down . Think they were a bit surprised really and dickov at the end had their defenders papping themselves . all in all a good nights entertainment and certainly worth a tenner!!!!

A lot to be pleased about, tried to pass the ball and closed down quickly winning a lot of second ball. At times penned Wigan back for 2 to 3 minutes at a time. Also supported man with the ball well Gave the ball away a few times but usually when trying to pass out of trouble

Strengths -Jarrett looked a real option at CB and his passing or bringing the ball out influenced what the team did. Stephens outstanding and Jones looked very handy

Concerns - I like Black but he dropped 3 bollocks tonight and only got away with 2 of them. It happens too often and to be first choice he must rid them from his game.

Up front I thought Feeney and Brooke did little with the ball - i don't think either had a shot. However they did some running about and we did create a large number of chances just not for the forwards.

Hope Dickov's 'little cameo' got it out of his system because do that in a real game and he would have been off without kicking the ball. He will be a useful addition for the last ten minutes of games though

All in all a useful exercise but it will be interesting to see how Wigan do because for the majority of the game the looked slipshod. Mind you in brief glimpses Moses and Rodallega were awesome

Didn't go tonight, but is it fair to say : Pawel Abbott take note.

i think abbot wasnt paired with feeney because it will be one or the other and think it will be feeney. not going to re-open the abbott debate but think he will spend most the season on the sidelines and maybe even at a new club by janruary. there was a moment when he had the ball edge of the box and dickov was wide open at the side of him and abbott lost it. the look on dickovs face spoke a million words . . . dont ask me what the million words were but it spoke a million of em. safe to say he wasnt impressed.

in abbotts defence he ran more than usual but as has been pointed out didnt look fit and struggled towards the end

I dont understand the negativity towards Abbott, I see him being the new target this season for unfair criticism. Thought he didnt look very match fit but chased down more than usual, even though its obvious he isnt really fast enough to put the defenders under too much pressure. He also had a great effort from range which Dickov seemed to enjoy. Fairplay he got caught in possession a couple of times, but I am not surprised he hasn't played much. He looked more dangerous than Feeney did.

I dont understand the negativity towards Abbott, I see him being the new target this season for unfair criticism. Thought he didnt look very match fit but chased down more than usual, even though its obvious he isnt really fast enough to put the defenders under too much pressure. He also had a great effort from range which Dickov seemed to enjoy. Fairplay he got caught in possession a couple of times, but I am not surprised he hasn't played much. He looked more dangerous than Feeney did.

agree. feeney didnt seem to do much to me. didnt ever look like gettin close to scoring but when i commented last night i was informd hes more of a heskey type player and with his goal record it would look that way. will just have to see with abbott this season

i thought he did filling in on the wing he looked good goin forward full of enegy always willing to have the ball. its now or never for him but think this could be his season