Kelly Signs For Latics

Dean Kelly signed 6 month deal

Any good??

Is he the one who scored vs Burnley?

He's been playing int he Irish Ameateur LEague for Crumlin United.

Ona 6 month deal.

It would be like signing a player from Oldham Town or Chadderton as our main striker.

He's not replacing Abbott.

This is the fella who scored against Burnley and then went on trial at Huddersfield. Good signing for me, look sharp against Burnley and fits the Dickov type of player i.e. agression, closiing doen from the front etc.

The question now is; Pav to go? Eaves to go? or both?

It's only a 6 month deal. He's only about 5ft 9 so I can't see him being an Abbott replacement. He'll probably be on the bench and playing in the stiffs to get goals and fitness up. Coming on when needed... Unless feeney is out for longer?

He did well against burnley - took his goal well and was confident. I also remember him breaking down the right. Rather thanjust lashing it, he looked up and picked a man out. I know that doesn't sound too impressive, but it showed he knows what he's doing.

Good deal for all parties IMO

Edited by pukka

I think this is a bit of a shot in the dark. If it works out it will be a stroke of genius as the bigger Irish teams are always keeping an eye on the smaller clubs (like Crumlin United) for talent, and it looks like they've overlooked this lad so far.

Though it has happened before - Robbie Keane went from Crumlin United to Wolves and he hasn't done so badly! Having said that, Robbie was in his teens when he made the move, not 24.

As I'm Irish myself I'll be hoping this lad does well. Good luck Dean!

Edited by Nohairdontcare

Didn't Pete Thompson bang in about 50 goals in the Irish league, then went to Stockport and scored about 2?

I think he ended up with 4 in about 40+ games.

One of those went in off his arse and another one was against Latics in our 3-1 defeat at EP.

I'm sure Crumlin being a Dublin Club, and Linfield being from Belfast will make all the difference!

I'm not expecting this guy to be the next George Best, that's for sure.

Edited by opinions4u

I think he ended up with 4 in about 40+ games.

One of those went in off his arse and another one was against Latics in our 3-1 defeat at EP.

I'm not expecting this to be the next George Best, that's for sure.

:grin:

Likewise, I have to say my expectation is more George Formby level.

Like others have said, and in previouss years, It's a good little gamble on a non league player. Not much to lose, but plenty to gain, lets see.

:grin:

Likewise, I have to say my expectation is more George Formby level.

Like others have said, and in previouss years, It's a good little gamble on a non league player. Not much to lose, but plenty to gain, lets see.

They all have poteneial

Eaves, Brooke, Kelly.#Statistically none of them will make it, but if we get one out that lot then we should be pleased.

trust me PD will get these players working and doing well, he will not accept nothing short of 100%

so forget about the lad who went to stockport, thats ancient news now

PD will get the best out of players, because they know if they dont perform they are heading for the exit door.

If it worked for Millwall and Swindon, I can't possibly see how it won't work for us.

You see, that’s the point. Other sides in our division, and the one above & below, raid the non-leagues; both in England & Ireland to some good effect. We haven’t managed to do that to any decent effect since Andrews, Hall & Cooksey under Bob Dowie’s scouting.

Austin at Swindon and Green at Dagenham (to name just 2) showed last season that the step-up can be done; and that the transition can be seamless.

I base this on the 45 minutes I saw him play; which I know isn’t a lot to judge on (at all) BUT; Dean Kelly looked like a ‘grafter striker’ type – someone who runs themselves into the ground working from the front. His finish for the goal was very tidy; he didn’t panic & showed a decent level of composure. As Pukka said too; he didn’t panic in possession either and looked comfortable enough holding it up too.

The deal offered is a win, win – just as per the one for Jarrett. 6 months is just right to assess where we are as a club & where they are as players. If they have impressed during the 6 months; then if finances allow; I’m sure a longer deal can be sorted out. If it hasn’t worked out (for whatever reasons) then it was only 6 months of wages; not a 2 or 3 year deal that we have been saddled with in the past; whereby it needs paying up.

Striker wise; with his addition, we’ve now got:

• Pawel Abbott

• Warren Feeney

• Tom Eaves

• Ryan Brooke

• Lewis Allessandra

• Paul Dickov

• Dean Kelly

Whilst that’s strong in numbers; it not in quality & experience – and even though we have 7 strikers on the books (plus Smalley making it 8 if he’s pushed up there at some point); I’d still say we would benefit from bring in a striker whose around 25 years of age, with 75+ league games under their belt, as 4 of the 7 are essentially untried kids who lack experience.

It’ll also be interesting to see if any of the above are moved on; either on a transfer or on loan………..