205 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• Champions - 1st
    • Automatic Promotion - 2nd
    • Play-Offs - 3rd-6th
    • Top Half - 7th-12th
    • Bottom Half - 13th-20th
    • Relegation - 21st-24th

The trouble is, it's the ridiculous blind optimism of the apparent majority that will see Dickov under pressure come January (or earlier) when he fails to realise their impossible dreams and they turn on him.

And people wonder why I can't be arsed getting back on the merry-go-round.

he stated from day one that it's not going to be an easy season for us

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is, it's the ridiculous blind optimism of the apparent majority that will see Dickov under pressure come January (or earlier) when he fails to realise their impossible dreams and they turn on him.

And people wonder why I can't be arsed getting back on the merry-go-round.

Maybe I'm a blind optimist. I was optimistic last season, but didn't turn on dp when it didn't happen. Some people are so black and white, all or nothing...

Why on earth does unfulfilled optimism have to lead to hatred and suicidality?!

Bizarre.

I haven't seen the new regime yet, but I have a feeling that we will see this season that the players we had last season weren't as bad as the league table suggested. We just weren't trying to score goals, I think we will be this year. Anyway, I prefer to be optimistic. Good luck with injuries and one or two youths making the grade and top half, maybe still involved come the last quarter of the season.

I've gone against what my head says, and voted top half. I honestly think we could do it should things work out, but escaping injuries and suspensions isn't possible, and then we'll have to rely on the kids, unless summat else happens in terms of transfers in the next week.

If Dicko leads us further than top half, it'd be a fantastic achievement. Again, there's worse in this league for us to go down.

Not really

Maybe not. Similar concept, same outcome for me.

I hope (am optimistic) that we might be able to reach the play offs this season. If we don't, I'll regroup and look forward to next season.

I expect we will stay up. If we don't, I might get pissed off, but will still support my team.

Both about predicting the future. If the team fail to meet my hopes or expectations, I will not chuck anything out of the pram, I will still support the lads, and I'll hope for better next year.

That allows me to have some sort of enjoyment from my hobby.

Edited by maddog

Maybe not. Similar concept, same outcome for me.

I hope (am optimistic) that we might be able to reach the play offs this season. If we don't, I'll regroup and look forward to next season.

I expect we will stay up. If we don't, I might get pissed off, but will still support my team.

Both about predicting the future. If the team fail to meet my hopes or expectations, I will not chuck anything out of the pram, I will still support the lads, and I'll hope for better next year.

That allows me to have some sort of enjoyment from my hobby.

Needless to say I take a different view :)

If the team fails to meet my optimism then fine... Life moves on...

If a team fails to meet my expectations then I would certainly throw my toys out of the pram...

Lucky for me I usually set my expectations in line with what is acheived with a few exceptions... Sharp, Talbot... I rarely call for a manager to be sacked...

Its going to be a very long season I think and if we are far away from the relegation zone we should count ourselves very lucky... Anyone expecting much more is probably going to be spitting feathers next season...

Edited by oafc0000

Its going to be a very long season I think and if we are far away from the relegation zone we should count ourselves very lucky... Anyone expecting much more is probably going to be spitting feathers next season...

No spitting feathers for me. Down to personalities, I suppose.

Ok, slightly harsh maybe...

It's just really frustrating. To be fair to most fans, they'll begin the season optimistic that we'll do well - like maddog. And if things don't turn out like that, as last season, they might criticise on here but they don't throw their toys out of the pram simply because their hopes aren't met.

But it worries me that so many fans start each season unable to differentiate between hopes and expectations. And when their hopes aren't met they DO throw their toys out of the pram and embark on a mission to lay the blame for that on the manager or one or two individual players. That's when high hopes at the beginning of a season turn so easily into calls for the manager's head only months later.

Some of you might not believe it, but I am hopeful that we will do well, I've certainly seen enough at this level to know it's foolish to rule any team out before a ball has been kicked in anger. However, maybe because I've become a little more detached recently, I can separate those hopes from more realistic expectations - and looking at the squad we have right now, led by a rookie manager, with a lower budget than last season, I'm afraid my expectation is of a long, hard struggle against relegation.

Something else some fans don't seem to understand - just because that's what I'm expecting doesn't mean I'll be happy if that turns out to be right. I'd honestly far rather be predicting promotion and glory.