Scunthorpe v Latics - Post Game Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good performance tonight. Started where we left off on Saturday.

M'voto started off a bit dodgy giving the ball away early on which should have led to a Scunny goal but there foward mis-hit the shot giving Brill an easy save. Got better as the game went on but I wouldn't put him ahead of the other 3. Great play for our goal with Lee eventually crossing for the little fella to head in at the far post.

Their goal looked sloppy on our part from where I was sat. Flick on which should have been dealt with by JJ, which he missed giving their forward a run on goal who put it past Brill. The second was unlucky. Three or four shots were cleared with last ditch defending with it finally ending up with a strike from the edge of the area into the bottom corner.

Stephens hit the post via a deflection at 1 1 and we had a couple of late headed chances.

Dean Kelly and Bembo Leto had a tough job against their big centre halfs but showed some nice touches. Allesandra looked good again but faded in second half. Furman and Stephens good again in the middle. Black and Lee just get better and better. Even saw a bit more from Jones tonight.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable game and great to see the young ones getting their chances.

Have to say I'm frustrated because I don't think we deserved to lose. Tough opponents who work very hard, and in the first half hour some of our kids were running around like headless chickens. It was an excellent workout for them, but it showed them they need to get some more fight, which they showed in the second half.

Got all very kick and rush too often, and to be honest we didn't look much different to when Sheridan was in charge. We played nice and neat at times, and went more or less in the right direction, but against their two defenders, we failed to use our heads.

But have to say I'm pleased. A little cup run would have been nice, maybe to relieve some pressure on the financial side, but that was invaluable experience for some very young lads.

A few M'voto clangers aside, this was a very good all-round performance against one of the harder working Championship sides.

Ultimately, one player made the difference tonight and that was Forte who was lively throughout and gave our makeshift centre-halves a hard time. Injury permitting, Hazell will be back at the weekend and we'll be stronger for it.

Still, so many positives to take out of the match.

Brill - Growing in confidence with every minute he plays, a good communicator and shot-stopper. Should have come off his line quicker when M'voto opted to the let the ball bounce instead of heading it but made the save all the same. The smile on his face coming for the attacking corners at the end was priceless and he looked absolutely gutted at the final whistle.

Lee & Black - What can I say? These guys are just getting better and better. Lee's awareness of the game ahead of him and and Black's composure on the ball belied their relative lack of experience.

Jarrett - Looks good in possession and didn't have a bad game by any stretch, but in my opinion a fully fit Gregan and Hazell pairing is still the way forward.

M'voto - A very mixed debut. His errors, 'though glaring (passing to the opposition under no pressure and letting the ball bounce rather than heading it first time) weren't punished tonight but I doubt he'd be as lucky again. On the other hand he appeared happy with the ball at his feet and in the second-half won most of his headers. As we saw with Tounkare at the weekend, he needs games.

Furman - Busy throughout again. Dickov's appointment has been a breath of fresh air for him.

Stephens - Took the captain's armband tonight and never looked back. Always looking to be involved and when we started to lose our composure in the second-half, gained possession and looked for the simple ball. I didn't jump on the Stephen's bandwagon last season - now just try and get me off it!

Allessandra - Superb control and an eagerness to press forward were already in his locker. He's added hard work and determination this season and is a different player for it.

Jones - I feared he would become the resident boo-boy after his Tranmere performance but this was more like it. Hard-working and not without pace (he absolutely skinned the Scunny left-back at one point in the second-half), this is the player Dickov was so eager to sign. Great cross for the goal too (unless this was Lee, who at the time I thought it was!).

Kelly & Bembo-Lita - I'm still finding it hard to believe that this was their first start in professional football. Between them they must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch and never gave up in the face of 2 seasoned (and large) centre-halves. DJ scored because he didn't over-think the situation. Made a few yards of space, ball came in and bang! Shortest man on the pitch walks away with a cracking headed goal.

Taylor - Past it? Sick note? One-trick pony? Rumours of this boy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Replaced Kelly up front and gave the whole team a huge lift just when they needed it. While we're a little short in the striking department, this is the guy to step in. I think big Joe may have been right about his best position after all.

Crompton - Too little time to make any real impact but I saw enough in the pre-season friendlies to know that this lad's got guts, determination and no little skill.

We lost rather unfairly tonight I thought. Yes, Scunthorpe had plenty of chances in the first-half that they probably should have stuck away but in the second period we absolutely went at them. At 1-1, and indeed 1-2, we pressed and pressed to win the game. After last season's woefully negative tactics, performances like this are nothing short of a revelation.

The players looked devastated at the final whistle but I doubt Dickov will let them dwell on it. If they're anything like me, the Notts County match cannot come soon enough!

If the last few years have got you down and you're one of the many fans who've understandably drifted, do yourself a favour and get down to Boundary Park on Saturday.

You will be surprised, you will be excited and above all else, you will be entertained.

A few M'voto clangers aside, this was a very good all-round performance against one of the harder working Championship sides.

Ultimately, one player made the difference tonight and that was Forte who was lively throughout and gave our makeshift centre-halves a hard time. Injury permitting, Hazell will be back at the weekend and we'll be stronger for it.

Brill - Growing in confidence with every minute he plays, a good communicator and shot-stopper. Should have come off his line quicker when M'voto opted to the let the ball bounce instead of heading it but made the save all the same. The smile on his face coming for the attacking corners at the end was priceless and he looked absolutely gutted at the final whistle.

Lee & Black - What can I say? These guys are just getting better and better. Lee's awareness of the game ahead of him and and Black's composure on the ball belied their relative lack of experience.

Jarrett - Looks good in possession and didn't have a bad game by any stretch, but in my opinion a fully fit Gregan and Hazell pairing is still the way forward.

M'voto - A very mixed debut. His errors, 'though glaring (passing to the opposition under no pressure and letting the ball bounce rather than heading it first time) weren't punished tonight but I doubt he'd be as lucky again. On the other hand he appeared happy with the ball at his feet and in the second-half won most of his headers. As we saw with Tounkare at the weekend, he needs games.

Furman - Busy throughout again. Dickov's appointment has been a breath of fresh air for him.

Stephens - Took the captain's armband tonight and never looked back. Always looking to be involved and when we started to lose our composure in the second-half, gained possession and looked for the simple ball. I didn't jump on the Stephen's bandwagon last season - now just try and get me off it!

Allessandra - Superb control and an eagerness to press forward were already in his locker. He's added hard work and determination this season and is a different player for it.

Jones - I feared he would become the resident boo-boy after his Tranmere performance but this was more like it. Hard-working and not without pace (he absolutely skinned the Scunny left-back at one point in the second-half), this is the player Dickov was so eager to sign. Great cross for the goal too (unless this was Lee, who at the time I thought it was!).

Kelly & Bembo-Lita - I'm still finding it hard to believe that this was their first start in professional football. Between them they must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch and never gave up in the face of 2 seasoned (and large) centre-halves. DJ scored because he didn't over-think the situation. Made a few yards of space, ball came in and bang! Shortest man on the pitch walks away with a cracking headed goal.

Taylor - Past it? Sick note? One-trick pony? Rumours of this boy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Replaced Kelly up front and gave the whole team a huge lift just when they needed it. While we're a little short in the striking department, this is the guy to step in. I think big Joe may have been right about his best position after all.

Crompton - Too little time to make any real impact but I saw enough in the pre-season friendlies to know that this lad's got guts, determination and no little skill.

We lost rather unfairly tonight I thought. Yes, Scunthorpe had plenty of chances in the first-half that they probably should have stuck away but in the second period we absolutely went at them. At 1-1, and indeed 1-2, we pressed and pressed to win the game. After last season's woefully negative tactics, performances like this are nothing short of a revelation.

The players looked devastated at the final whistle but I doubt Dickov will let them dwell on it. If they're anything like me, the Notts County match cannot come soon enough!

If the last few years have got you down and you're one of the many fans who've understandably drifted, do yourself a favour and get down to Boundary Park on Saturday.

You will be surprised, you will be excited and above all else, you will be entertained.

youve saved me a job there Mr Pimp , agree with all your comments. I still would like Brill to come for a few more crosses but he has massively improved on last season.

If only Lewi could have released Bembo Leta on that break just needed abit more awareness.

Dean Kelly was fanstastic to say that was his first pro game , touch wood PD has found a decent player there!

Can't remember a loss for a while where the whole team was clapped off for their efforts.

Dissapointed to not go through but proud in defeat

Onwards and Upwards Latics!!!

Even though we lost the team gave everything. What was really noticeable was the fact that every player was gutted at the end to have lost. They seem to have a belief that they can win every game and are disappointed when they don't. It was great to see some passion, effort and no little skill. I heard several comments amongst the fans about how much better it was over last season. To the stay-aways, get down to BP and witness for yourself the change in the club.

youve saved me a job there Mr Pimp , agree with all your comments. I still would like Brill to come for a few more crosses but he has massively improved on last season.

If only Lewi could have released Bembo Leta on that break just needed abit more awareness.

Dean Kelly was fanstastic to say that was his first pro game , touch wood PD has found a decent player there!

Can't remember a loss for a while where the whole team was clapped off for their efforts.

Dissapointed to not go through but proud in defeat

Onwards and Upwards Latics!!!

The happy clappers did a lot of it last year....

Top write up, Sounds like alot of positives to take into Saturday..

I'd like Taylor to be given a chance on the right now though, With Allesandra doing a good job on the left pre-season, Saturday and by the sounds of it last night he deserves to keep his place..

A fit Taylor I'd like to see given a run out on the right with Stephens, Furman and Jones fighting for the 2 positions in the middle of the park

That's the 2nd post of yours on the game where I can't work out if you're fishing or if you're being serious.......... :shock:

I doubt he is fishing given it has been such a problem for us... He is probably being a tad hasty drawing parallels with previous events..

You need to get that second goal...

<snip snip>

Thanks Mr Pimp! Cracking summary of the game; less flowery & wordy than the one on the Fishul and the player ratings / descriptions all seem very positive. Cheers.

As I said yesterday, a win would have been lovely; but a loss really isn’t in the end of the world in the grand scheme of the things. The fact that Kelly, Bembo (when did he drop the –Lita part of his name???) & M’Voto managed to get their full debuts and Chris Taylor got on for a 20 Min cameo & appears to have come through without incident are major positives to take away from the game. 3 days now to get the lads ready for the County game; and judging on what is going on at present with the management duo; I’m sure they’ll get the lads ready for the off come 3pm on sat.

Oh, and I echo the last bit too - spot on with that!