Charlton vs Latics Post Game Thread

It's amazing what a difference a couple of games can make. Last season i'd be watching Soccer Saturday just expecting the next goal to be scored to be against Latics.

Today, having seen the football played by the lads against Tranmere & Notts County I sat watching Jeff & the boys just waiting for a Latics winner, in fact I was almost surprised we didn't get one.

If the team carries on in this vein it won't be long before the crowds start flocking back to BP and we can actually have a home support worth mentioning.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back and your summary is spot on. Taylor needs to get his act together but he certainly has some competition to keep his place in this team.

The spirit was superb from start to finish and the way they approached the second half was absolutely excellent. This is exactly what you want from your team, 100% effort and trying to win every match...spot on.

What I really loved was every time someone lost the ball a team mate would be there to cover for them or win it back...brilliant!

Well done to PD and the whole team on and off the field....including us lot who were great again today.

Agree with all the above - thought we were excellent. Totally committed team performance. Hazell and Furman the stand out performers for me. Summed up by what i heard from a Charlton fan on the way out - They are a team of Dickovs - That'll do me. One slight negative - the corner in the last minute...we should have slung it into the box and who knows..very happy though, proud of the boys today!

First game for me today, so nothing to compare it with. I refuse to compare anything with last season!

Cracking all round performance and we went there to win, make no mistake. Charlton aren't as good as they think they are and we bossed them for long periods with good passing football. We're nobody's pushover, I tell ya. As Diego said after the match, the "Yard Dog" days are back. According to the stats, we commited 22 fouls to their 14, but I don't believe there were 36 fouls in the game, just a very fussy and over officious referee, who seemed to want to make a name for himself. Actually, he did, but if I put that name on here, I'll get banned.

Brill - 7 - Only had one powder puff shot to deal with, had no chance with the goal, commanded his area very well. Gees up players and fans.

Lee - 8 - Had a skillful winger to deal with, but stuck to it well. Turned up in the oppo box a fair few times as well and could have scored.

Hazell - 8 - A rock. This his best form, IMO, since he arrived. He seems to have so much confidence and had Pav in his pocket most of the game.

Jarrett - 7 - Very solid and real skill. So confident on the ball. Very unlucky to be sent off IMO, because I don't think there was even a foul. Looked like their player fell over his own feet to me. Could be wrong though. He'd have had an 8 but for belting the ball at the Charlton bench. It was funny, though, but we'll miss him next week.

Black - 8 - Still looks a bit raw at times, but this boy has skill, tackles well and gets stuck in. He can only get better.

Jones - 7 - Not really a right winger, but works very hard and tackles back well. Can put a decent cross in, too.

Stephens - 8 - Very mature for a youngster. Always seems to have time on the ball to pick a pass.

Furman - 9 - MOM for me. He must be knackered tonight because he covered every blade of grass. Fought for every ball, tackled, passed, chased, harried, got in their faces and hit an absolute screamer for the equaliser. He'd have scored a 10 if he hadn't misplaced a pass. What the hell was Penney doing stifling the lad's ability?

Taylor - 6 - The only slight disappointment. He doesn't look entirely fit yet and would probably have only had 15 mins or so if Alice had been on. Showed odd flashes of what he can do, so not going to write him off.

Bembo-Leta - 7 - Worked very hard, more dificcult to knock off the ball than you would imagine for someone who's only 3'4". Laid off some good, telling passes, but obviously couldn't compete in he air against a CB who was 3' taller.

Tounkare - 9 - What a handful he is. Great close control, fights to get back every ball he looks like losing and hits a good shot too. Very unlucky not to have at least two today when denied by the woodwork.

Smalley - 6 - Came on when Taylor looked knackered. He's not a left winger and obviously not fully match fit. Didn't really get into it, but give it time.

Feeney - 8 - Only a cameo role, but showed what quality he has. Hold up play, passing and strength on the ball shows he's a hgreat signing. Got to keep him fit and we'll certainly miss him as an option when he's with the NI squad.

M'Voto - 7 - Only on for the 5 minutes stoppage time, but defended well when tried to have a go, won headers got a couple of decent clearances in.

The workrate is excellent, they all fight for each other. If one loses the ball, there's another trying to get it back. We did what PD wants - defend from the front, close them down and get the ball back. We played some lovely, passing football, the best I've seen from a Latics team in years. There'll be a few teams won't enjoy us turning up in their back yard

The Yard Dogs are back!! Well done lads. A well deserved point, could so easily have been three if their MOM hadn't been the keeper, with the woodwork a close second.

Edited by Bristolatic

Just seen Jarrett's second yellow. Absolute farce. I'm not surprised he smashed the ball at Parkinson.

Gutted for the lad that he missed. He could clearly have done better there. Managing to knock out the single remaining tooth from the mouth of Charlton's only virgin (age 86) was altogether not good enough for a so-called professional. He should have had her eye out with it.

First game for me today, so nothing to compare it with. I refuse to compare anything with last season!

Cracking all round performance and we went there to win, make no mistake. Charlton aren't as good as they think they are and we bossed them for long periods with good passing football. We're nobody's pushover, I tell ya. As Diego said after the match, the "Yard Dog" days are back. According to the stats, we commited 22 fouls to their 14, but I don't believe there were 36 fouls in the game, just a very fussy and over officious referee, who seemed to want to make a name for himself. Actually, he did, but if I put that name on here, I'll get banned.

Brill - 7 - Only had one powder puff shot to deal with, had no chance with the goal, commanded his area very well. Gees up players and fans.

Lee - 8 - Had a skillful winger to deal with, but stuck to it well. Turned up in the oppo box a fair few times as well and could have scored.

Hazell - 8 - A rock. This his best form, IMO, since he arrived. He seems to have so much confidence and had Pav in his pocket most of the game.

Jarrett - 7 - Very solid and real skill. So confident on the ball. Very unlucky to be sent off IMO, because I don't think there was even a foul. Looked like their player fell over his own feet to me. Could be wrong though. He'd have had an 8 but for belting the ball at the Charlton bench. It was funny, though, but we'll miss him next week.

Black - 8 - Still looks a bit raw at times, but this boy has skill, tackles well and gets stuck in. He can only get better.

Jones - 7 - Not really a right winger, but works very hard and tackles back well. Can put a decent cross in, too.

Stephens - 8 - Very mature for a youngster. Always seems to have time on the ball to pick a pass.

Furman - 9 - MOM for me. He must be knackered tonight because he covered every blade of grass. Fought for every ball, tackled, passed, chased, harried, got in their faces and hit an absolute screamer for the equaliser. He'd have scored a 10 if he hadn't misplaced a pass. What the hell was Penney doing stifling the lad's ability?

Taylor - 6 - The only slight disappointment. He doesn't look entirely fit yet and would probably have only had 15 mins or so if Alice had been on. Showed odd flashes of what he can do, so not going to write him off.

Bembo-Leta - 7 - Worked very hard, more dificcult to knock off the ball than you would imagine for someone who's only 3'4". Laid off some good, telling passes, but obviously couldn't compete in he air against a CB who was 3' taller.

Tounkare - 9 - What a handful he is. Great close control, fights to get back every ball he looks like losing and hits a good shot too. Very unlucky not to have at least two today when denied by the woodwork.

Smalley - 6 - Came on when Taylor looked knackered. He's not a left winger and obviously not fully match fit. Didn't really get into it, but give it time.

Feeney - 8 - Only a cameo role, but showed what quality he has. Hold up play, passing and strength on the ball shows he's a hgreat signing. Got to keep him fit and we'll certainly miss him as an option when he's with the NI squad.

M'Voto - 7 - Only on for the 5 minutes stoppage time, but defended well when tried to have a go, won headers got a couple of decent clearances in.

The workrate is excellent, they all fight for each other. If one loses the ball, there's another trying to get it back. We did what PD wants - defend from the front, close them down and get the ball back. We played some lovely, passing football, the best I've seen from a Latics team in years. There'll be a few teams won't enjoy us turning up in their back yard

The Yard Dogs are back!! Well done lads. A well deserved point, could so easily have been three if their MOM hadn't been the keeper, with the woodwork a close second.

My first match of the season too and I was well impressed. How good to see a young team working hard and knocking the ball about. If people don’t turn up at BP to watch this team, then nothing will bring them in. Furman definitely MOM (my own comment during the match was to wonder why Penney, having signed him, could not bring out his quality) but I thought Jarrett was outstanding too. Taylor and Smalley both looked a bit rusty and I will suspend judgment on Jones until I see more of him. But I agree totally about Feeney – awesome to see someone of his class coming on in that situation. Signings like him and the excellent Tounkare show that Dickov’s approach is on a totally different level to that of Penney and his relentless signing of lower-division journeymen. Early days but this could be a really exciting season. I can’t wait for the next southern match – and it’s a while since I felt like that.

If he thinks that was smashed good job he never saw peter lorimer or maurice whittle!

It wasn't a foul in a millon years. The guy ran behind Jarrett, clipped him, and decided to go down, the cheating b*stard.

The Charlton bench then go ape because they've been battered all game and thoroughly frustrated by a Latics side which they thought they'd steamroller. This of course annoyed them no end. Sour frickin grapes. And the ref totally fell for their drama.

Load of bollocks.

The best measure of how well the boys did yesterday is that the Charlton fans feel we're a good side. Furman had a stormer of a game and if this lad is not loving his football at the moment then I am a kipper. It's the ideal time for the management to extend his contract cos surely he'd sign right now on the high he must be feeling. It's good to know when Stephens didn't entirely pull the strings like we know he can, Furman takes up the strain. Special mention for Jones here too, whilst Stephens and Furman are taking the plaudits, Jones is doing more than is noticed. He and Lee have forged a good partnership down the right and his work rate is allowing his central midfielders the time and room to operate. Both Lee and Black are growing stronger into their games with Lee now venturing into the oppo box when the game allows and it's good to see Black starting to fulfil his youth promise. Toukara I will admit I wasn't to sure about after Tranmere but, at Scunny and here at Charlton as proved those early misgivings wrong. He lead the line fantastic at the Valley and on another day could have had a hatrick. Not only that he acknowledge the away support which I always like to see. Fans, players and management as one and unified is the new garlic bread.

The best measure of how well the boys did yesterday is that the Charlton fans feel we're a good side. Furman had a stormer of a game and if this lad is not loving his football at the moment then I am a kipper. It's the ideal time for the management to extend his contract cos surely he'd sign right now on the high he must be feeling. It's good to know when Stephens didn't entirely pull the strings like we know he can, Furman takes up the strain. Special mention for Jones here too, whilst Stephens and Furman are taking the plaudits, Jones is doing more than is noticed. He and Lee have forged a good partnership down the right and his work rate is allowing his central midfielders the time and room to operate. Both Lee and Black are growing stronger into their games with Lee now venturing into the oppo box when the game allows and it's good to see Black starting to fulfil his youth promise. Toukara I will admit I wasn't to sure about after Tranmere but, at Scunny and here at Charlton as proved those early misgivings wrong. He lead the line fantastic at the Valley and on another day could have had a hatrick. Not only that he acknowledge the away support which I always like to see. Fans, players and management as one and unified is the new garlic bread.

Yes, what a welcome change from last season......Oldham Athletic is now a TEAM!

I would urge anyone who hasn't been yet to get down to BP next saturday and witness for themselves the new feelgood factor.

Just seen Jarrett's second yellow. Absolute farce. I'm not surprised he smashed the ball at Parkinson.

Whilst I'm not saying it was necessarily the right decision I dont think looking at this foul in isolation is fair to the ref. It was a fairly niggly game made worse by the ref himself being over officious. We got in their faces. I would have thought Jarrett's booking was for an accumulation of fouls rather than an isolated incident. Whilst not fair to JJ, the ref is well within his rights to book an Oldham player for accumulation of fouls from the team not just an individual player.

I still think it was a poor decision having seen it again though. Not because a yellow card wasn't coming more because it wasn't a foul...

After the first 2 games people quite rightly were not getting over excited. Lets face it, it was 2 wins against teams likely to finish in the lower reaches.

Yesterday was our first acid test.

Against a team one of the favourites for promotion, we went a goal behind, albeit against the run of play. Yet we just dug deeper, pulled level and really could have won the game quite comfortably with just a little luck and but for the excellent saves from the home keeper.

The ref for me was over fussy throughout the game not benefiting either side and JJ's second yellow was simply just a wrong decision, end of.

Of the new signings, Jones was excellent up and down the right flank and his partneship with Lee is, as Lags says, getting better every game. Jones does occassionally look "lazy" but I don't think he is. I think it is just his manner. "Oomar Tounkare" (to the tune of the Ooh Roger Palmer chant) was excellent up front (with young DJ) and looks stronger with every game as he settles in after his late "signing." Jarrett (2nd time round) has cemented his place in the team with yet another assured performance. Feeney came on to replace DJ and was quite simply outstanding without having a chance to get on the score sheet. After JJ's red card he was awesome on his own up front and showed what a good signing he will be this season if he stays relatively injury free.

The rest (bar DJ) are last seasons flops under Penny. The most improved is Furman, outstanding yesterday and he's added goals to his locker. Thats 2 belting strikes from outside the box that have given the keepers no chance. He also seems to have cut out the needless silly challenges that saw him collect a double figure tally of yellow cards last season. Lee and Stephens are also playing with more maturity and more importantly freedom and Black looks like he may well cement the left back birth. Taylor and Smalley had their first run outs but will probably have to do far more to dislodge young Lewis.

The goal we conceeded though was soft and showed that the defence is still a work in progres, but we should not let that 1 lapse detract from a good all round team performance.

A word also for Dean Brill. The lad took a lot of flack last season, a good amount of it justified, but to date, he is a more confident young man which showed yesterday as he came a long way for 2 crosses into the box and took them comfortably reliveing the pressure.

A measure of our dominance is that besides the goal I can't think that Brill had another save to make.

Yep we've made progress. Thats 3 games now, but hey lets wait for 10 games before getting carried away. :wink:

After the first 2 games people quite rightly were not getting over excited. Lets face it, it was 2 wins against teams likely to finish in the lower reaches.

Yesterday was our first acid test.

Against a team one of the favourites for promotion, we went a goal behind, albeit against the run of play. Yet we just dug deeper, pulled level and really could have won the game quite comfortably with just a little luck and but for the excellent saves from the home keeper.

The ref for me was over fussy throughout the game not benefiting either side and JJ's second yellow was simply just a wrong decision, end of.

Of the new signings, Jones was excellent up and down the right flank and his partneship with Lee is, as Lags says, getting better every game. Jones does occassionally look "lazy" but I don't think he is. I think it is just his manner. "Oomar Tounkare" (to the tune of the Ooh Roger Palmer chant) was excellent up front (with young DJ) and looks stronger with every game as he settles in after his late "signing." Jarrett (2nd time round) has cemented his place in the team with yet another assured performance. Feeney came on to replace DJ and was quite simply outstanding without having a chance to get on the score sheet. After JJ's red card he was awesome on his own up front and showed what a good signing he will be this season if he stays relatively injury free.

The rest (bar DJ) are last seasons flops under Penny. The most improved is Furman, outstanding yesterday and he's added goals to his locker. Thats 2 belting strikes from outside the box that have given the keepers no chance. He also seems to have cut out the needless silly challenges that saw him collect a double figure tally of yellow cards last season. Lee and Stephens are also playing with more maturity and more importantly freedom and Black looks like he may well cement the left back birth. Taylor and Smalley had their first run outs but will probably have to do far more to dislodge young Lewis.

The goal we conceeded though was soft and showed that the defence is still a work in progres, but we should not let that 1 lapse detract from a good all round team performance.

A word also for Dean Brill. The lad took a lot of flack last season, a good amount of it justified, but to date, he is a more confident young man which showed yesterday as he came a long way for 2 crosses into the box and took them comfortably reliveing the pressure.

A measure of our dominance is that besides the goal I can't think that Brill had another save to make.

Yep we've made progress. Thats 3 games now, but hey lets wait for 10 games before getting carried away. :wink:

2 home league games coming up now against sides who are expected to finish at best mid table. Good sides consistently beat those who are expected to finish low down in the division.

The rest (bar DJ) are last seasons flops under Penney

He really was a poor manager. When he was appointed, I though it was a good call for Latics.

Good management in any walk of life can inspire greater pleasure in doing your job which, in turn, delivers higher productivity.

The other key is that the performance of the team should always be greater than the constituent parts.

Well worth getting down to BP 3 times next week.

Taylor and Smalley had their first run outs but will probably have to do far more to dislodge young Lewis.

I do hope so, as it is time for the club's two biggest under-achievers to step up to the plate. Work, work, work is our new motto. Not sure whether these two can deliver - please prove me wrong...

I do hope so, as it is time for the club's two biggest under-achievers to step up to the plate. Work, work, work is our new motto. Not sure whether these two can deliver - please prove me wrong...

smalley has got pace to burn,but often runs down blind alleys...im hoping with some decent coaching from dickov as to how strikers operate and where to put the ball both of them will improve....i think if they dont,then they will go.dickov wont stand for sulky underachievers in his high tempo set up..like you say step up to the plate,man up a bit and show us what we know your capable of...if not cheerio....no doubt to chesterfield