1 Paul Dickov

How has possibly the most generic football chant: 'There's only one (insert name here)' become seen as some sort of overzealous hero worship?

I'd understand this sort of worrying about what song to sing if the song in question suggested we handed over our womenfolk to him to keep him entertained over half time, or maybe suggested all our first-borns were impaled on the corner flags in his honour, but it doesn't. Its simply stating that there's only one Paul Dickov and, as far as i'm aware, there is.

And if there's more than one i really couldn't give a toss.

I wish my life was so brilliant that the only thing I could find to complain about was someone not quite deserving a certain song!

How has possibly the most generic football chant: 'There's only one (insert name here)' become seen as some sort of overzealous hero worship?

I'd understand this sort of worrying about what song to sing if the song in question suggested we handed over our womenfolk to him to keep him entertained over half time, or maybe suggested all our first-borns were impaled on the corner flags in his honour, but it doesn't. Its simply stating that there's only one Paul Dickov and, as far as i'm aware, there is.

And if there's more than one i really couldn't give a toss.

I wish my life was so brilliant that the only thing I could find to complain about was someone not quite deserving a certain song!

I think the objection to One Paul Dickov is that the melody is suggestive of the cascade of tears of joy that one weeps after the greatest thing possible happens. The diminuendo of the last passionate "Dickov" followed by the dynamic-shifting bark of the opening line once again is indeed an emotional musical phrase unmatched by anything the Russian masters of dynamics ever attempted.

Seriously.

But then music, the purest form, can lead us to an erroneously high regard for something that, or someone who, is mediocre or otherwise undeserving. Time will tell whether One Paul Dickov shares such a power with, say, Doncha Wish Your Right Back Was Kieron Lee, or One Brian Talbot, or Ronnie Moore's a Football Genius, or whether it misleads us not, and is instead a genuine eulogy to a great man, like Big Fat Joe's Blue and White Army, or Gary Kelly's Discopants.

• 7 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=426281:date=Sep 5 2010, 21:43 PM:name=RobOAFC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobOAFC @ Sep 5 2010, 21:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=426281"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what else would you like them to sing..

am sure they might consider if you write them down on a listt and hand it to them..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lola by the Kinks...

I feel as though you're missing my point mate so I wont bother

Strange you should mention the Kinks we where trying to get a Oldham song going to the of a dedicated follower of fashion we got one verse, chrous just missing an in between lyrics.

Strange you should mention the Kinks we where trying to get a Oldham song going to the of a dedicated follower of fashion we got one verse, chrous just missing an in between lyrics.

They seek him here, they seek him there

His shouts are loud, but never heard

It will make or break him, but he cannot buy the best

So he's a dedicated believer in loanees

And then he does his little rounds,

'Round the clubs of other towns

Eagerly pursuing all the cast-offs and rejects

'Cause he's a dedicated believer in loaness

Oh yes he is (oh yes he is), oh yes he is (oh yes he is).

He thinks it is the way to get promotion

And when he fills his teamsheet, he hopes he’s got it right

He is a dedicated believer in loanees.

Oh yes he is (oh yes he is), oh yes he is (oh yes he is).

There's one thing that he loves and that is loanees

One week he picks four of them, the next week he picks five

And he's the dedicated manager of Oldham