Peterborough United 5-2 Latics

Verdict.

Good weekend. Good first half. Fell apart from the moment their first went in and only one side was ever going to win from then on. £1.50 jagerbombs and gloating Peterborough fans saying how they'll piss the league (to be fair, they will). Tounkare man of the match by far. Bedtime!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't blame Brill for any of the goals. It's OK saying the keeper should come for everyting in the 6 yard box, but there are crosses that a keeper just knows he won't get to - either whipped in too fast or from relatively close range. He looked pretty solid to me and his calling is good judging by the high crosses he took where his defenders obviously knew to leave it to him.

Lee had a very good game apart from that one mistake and how many strikers would have finished that well? His cross for Taylor's goal was pin point. Black looked good too and his cross for Jones was top class. Rubes and Jarrett looked a bit shaky at times, but they'll always have a bad one from time to time. I think Greegs would have really struggled against their front three and would have got skinned for pace. I don't remember Rubes or JJ getting done pace-wise, they just weren't as solid as they could have been.

Jones, to me, seemed to be really up for it, looked a threat and his header was perfect. He seems to have a tetchy side to him when provoked and I can't understand why McLean (I think it was him) didn't see red when you could tell from 100yds away he threw one at Jones. Furball worked hard and chased and harried, but couldn't get forward enough. He's a totally different player to last season.

Stephens went in fits and starts but, hopefully, he'll get it back again. I certainly wouldn't drop him. Taylor's a riddle to me. He did some good stuff at times and showed glimpses of what he can do. Then he goes off the boil and does sweet FA. I'd keep with him and give him a chance to continue getting his form back. He hit one sweet left foot volley that just cleared the bar and would have been contender for goal of the month if it had gone in.

Feeney showed he has class. His hold up play and lay offs are excellent. He may not be prolific, but he'll set up others. Tounkara? What a bloody handful he is. A bit raw but the boy has some skill. I counted at least three occasions when he got pushed wide, beat his man on a sixpence and whipped the ball in. He can only get better. Smalley didn't do a great deal, but we've seen him do a lot better. I'd like to see that "better" come back. I don't remember Kelly doing anything at all.

We got better as the first half went on and we were opening them up with some really good football. In fact, it was very nearly 3-0 just before they got their first. It was soft one, too. The cross should never have been allowed to come in. They were obviously going to go for it 2nd half after what they did to Udders and we simply lost our way defensively. To get undone twice by set pieces was rank defending and the 5th looked soft. Rubes got the ball and the highlights have proved it for me.

Last season, we would have gone defensive possibly after the first goal, but certainly after the second. We didn't do that yesterday and, maybe, there's times when we've got to just hold on for a while. But PD and the team will learn from that. Even at 2-4, we were still giving it a go with 4 up front and you can't fault that.

On another note, I thought the ref was garbage. He dished out yellow cards for nothing challenges, should have sent theirs off for the swing at Jones and at least a yellow for the 2nd half tackle on Lee that could have been a leg breaker. He didn't even talk to the bloke. He missed giving a corner from Stephens' free kick when even I heard the flick off the keeper's glove and I was 10 rows back on the other side of the goal.

Don't be disheartened by this. We're not a bad side and we're capable of playing some very good football. Last season, DP said after virtually every game that there were positives to take (no matter how dire the performance). This season, you can, believe me. Trust PD and his team and the players and I reckon we'll win a lot more than we'll lose.

Just gutted I can't do another one until Brentford and then Sarfampton.

To much trying to play thier way out of trouble in thier own half just hoof it

Feeney won't score many this season still don't look fully fit with all his globe trotting he is doing

Tonk was by far the best player some great little crosses from the left no big centre orward to nod them in

If only they could have held out until half time without leetibg one in after that it was painful to watch.

Black played well Jarrett faded Brill despite 5 goals so OK

Good beer in Oundle before and after

That big lad Abbott at Charlton looks pretty handy, perhaps we could try to get hold of him. Oh, hang on :grin:

And single handedly the only reason we aint playing in League 2 at the minute....

Just because he saved us last year doesn't mean he should or even can just walk into the side. If he's as short of fitness as those who've seen him play suggest then there's no reason to think he'll be an improvement.

Horrible goal to conceed before half time, I thought Brill should have come off his line to claim the cross.

Negatives, Defensively we were :censored:e, pissed about on the ball in dangerous positions (Kieran Lee- who had a steady game bar the mistake) Awful shanked clearances putting us under pressure. Dale Stephens won nothing all day, doesnt look fit and has gone off the boil completely.

Defeat was always coming after it went 2-1.

K Lee was out of position and let the cross come in for 2-1 unfortunately, and I agree regarding Stephens.

Were any of the critics actually at the game today because most of what I have read is utter tosh?

Peterborough are a strong good side, PB Goal 2 came after the fracas and we switched off when their guy hurled a Rory Delap like Throw in into the area

Goal 3 came from a mistake from Kieron Lee who before and after had a good game - but should have known better and he was punished by a great finish unfortunately.

Goal 4 was a free header from a corner which we should have done better from - heads were down and we were chasing the game

Goal 5 was a mis-timed tackle.

Goal 3 took the wind out of our sails however we continued attacking and created chances but inevitably got caught on the counter.

Post-Mortems of our season are not required at this stage or are you all just looking at something to moan at!

I went to the match. We played very well in the first half. Two massive things happened which led to us losing the game 1) they scored just before half time and 2) we lost our concentration when they wound us up. Inexperience cost us in the end but we looked a very good team in the first half against a good team. On today's showing I would say that PD will get them winning more than they lose. I also thought the front play was good. Although they didn't score both Tounkara and Feeney worked their socks off. Tounkara is going to be a very good player when he matures. Sadly it will be Sunderland who benefit from his teaching at latics.

I really don't blame Brill for any of the goals. It's OK saying the keeper should come for everyting in the 6 yard box, but there are crosses that a keeper just knows he won't get to - either whipped in too fast or from relatively close range. He looked pretty solid to me and his calling is good judging by the high crosses he took where his defenders obviously knew to leave it to him.

Lee had a very good game apart from that one mistake and how many strikers would have finished that well? His cross for Taylor's goal was pin point. Black looked good too and his cross for Jones was top class. Rubes and Jarrett looked a bit shaky at times, but they'll always have a bad one from time to time. I think Greegs would have really struggled against their front three and would have got skinned for pace. I don't remember Rubes or JJ getting done pace-wise, they just weren't as solid as they could have been.

Jones, to me, seemed to be really up for it, looked a threat and his header was perfect. He seems to have a tetchy side to him when provoked and I can't understand why McLean (I think it was him) didn't see red when you could tell from 100yds away he threw one at Jones. Furball worked hard and chased and harried, but couldn't get forward enough. He's a totally different player to last season.

Stephens went in fits and starts but, hopefully, he'll get it back again. I certainly wouldn't drop him. Taylor's a riddle to me. He did some good stuff at times and showed glimpses of what he can do. Then he goes off the boil and does sweet FA. I'd keep with him and give him a chance to continue getting his form back. He hit one sweet left foot volley that just cleared the bar and would have been contender for goal of the month if it had gone in.

Feeney showed he has class. His hold up play and lay offs are excellent. He may not be prolific, but he'll set up others. Tounkara? What a bloody handful he is. A bit raw but the boy has some skill. I counted at least three occasions when he got pushed wide, beat his man on a sixpence and whipped the ball in. He can only get better. Smalley didn't do a great deal, but we've seen him do a lot better. I'd like to see that "better" come back. I don't remember Kelly doing anything at all.

We got better as the first half went on and we were opening them up with some really good football. In fact, it was very nearly 3-0 just before they got their first. It was soft one, too. The cross should never have been allowed to come in. They were obviously going to go for it 2nd half after what they did to Udders and we simply lost our way defensively. To get undone twice by set pieces was rank defending and the 5th looked soft. Rubes got the ball and the highlights have proved it for me.

Last season, we would have gone defensive possibly after the first goal, but certainly after the second. We didn't do that yesterday and, maybe, there's times when we've got to just hold on for a while. But PD and the team will learn from that. Even at 2-4, we were still giving it a go with 4 up front and you can't fault that.

On another note, I thought the ref was garbage. He dished out yellow cards for nothing challenges, should have sent theirs off for the swing at Jones and at least a yellow for the 2nd half tackle on Lee that could have been a leg breaker. He didn't even talk to the bloke. He missed giving a corner from Stephens' free kick when even I heard the flick off the keeper's glove and I was 10 rows back on the other side of the goal.

Don't be disheartened by this. We're not a bad side and we're capable of playing some very good football. Last season, DP said after virtually every game that there were positives to take (no matter how dire the performance). This season, you can, believe me. Trust PD and his team and the players and I reckon we'll win a lot more than we'll lose.

Just gutted I can't do another one until Brentford and then Sarfampton.

I thought Brill certainly should have come for the first, I know keepers cant come for everything. The way Hazell sat at the floor hands in the air looking at Brill for ages after the goal went in showed he was of the same opinion as me.

Apparently the lad stamped on Jones when he won the ball on the touchline-from the throw in which they scored from. Mclean blatantly swung at Jones we saw it and the liner must have seen something but for him to get only booked was a shocking decision. Bottled that and bottled giving him a second yellow when he took Lee out on the touchline.

Mackail Smith is a quality player though as you say their attackers would have skinned Gregan for pace every time.

Just annoying to play so well first half, to completely lose our heads in the second. But with such an inexperienced team, things like that are going to happen.

Edited by Butter

A quick word of acknowledgement to Peterborough United Football Club.

o4u Jr was Latics' mascot yesterday. We got a really warm welcome, stadium tour etc, access to the dressing rooms pre-match and friendly banter about the forthcoming match. It was a cracking experience for the lad and, despite the price of the drinks in their dubiously named "Seaman Suite", I enjoyed it too.

One impressive feature under the stand opposite the tunnel is a murel that runs the length of the pitch. Every home shirt that they have had since being formed in 1934 is portrayed - a bit like Singe's avatar on owtb. but 90 yards long!

Certainly something to consider for Failsworth, if it ever happens.

(by the way, as the players waited in the tunnel Reuben's rallying cry was, apprently "Concentration". No idea what he said at the start of the second half though).

Edited by opinions4u

Oldham player-manager Paul Dickov told BBC Radio Manchester:

"We were 2-0 up and we thought we were playing reasonably well, every time we attacked we looked a threat I think they struggled to cope with us.

"We felt we were fairly comfortable first-half and we told them at half-time to do the basic things right. If we had done that today we would have had a good chance to win the game.

"Every single one of my players is better than what they showed today."

Not sure if this is fishing so my point was that all the very negative posts from people not at the game were an uninformed reaction to a bad scoreline. Your take on the commentary which is still second hand is at least based on opinions from people watching. Anyone can comment but to start suggesting that a whole revamp is required(not you bb80)from a scoreline is a basically a bit silly

wtf is wrong with some of you people ?

have you really already forgotten the :censored:e we watched last season?

went down yesterday and yes I was gutted that we threw away a 2 goal lead but still enjoyed the day.

So many positives from the start we have made.

Yes PD should have changed things early in the secong half but you have to remember he is still learning his trade.

he is still niave but if he was the finished article would he be our manager?

we blew it second half but these things happen.

Chins up and lets put things right on Saturday

I went to the match and 5-2 flattered Peterborough. We were not battered. Peterborough by-passed midfield for most of the match which stopped Furman and Stephens playing there best game. Also, as someone said previously, we took off a defender at 3-2 down and went at them.

Do the FA get the same coverage, as from the sound of it McLean should have got sent off and could face action using video footage?

The ref and lino dealt with the incident, so the footage would have to show something they hadn't seen.

There is, of course, the risk that Jones' actions were entirely appropriate either and his yellow could end up as a red too, so probably worth leaving well alone.

Let me just start by saying I think were safe this season, were not spectacular but we seem to be doing great with what we got,

Something that hasnt changed from last season though is the ability to keep our heads in difficult situations, once it got to 3-2 we seemed to give up bar a few moments of sparkle, if we want to stand a chance this season we need to make sure we get our feet on the ground again when we are losing.

Like I said, from what I have seen we are not going down, but if we can get ourselves sorted mentally when we are losing I think thats going to be the difference between mid table or top 8 finish