Manchester United/City Fans

Oposition Fans  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should these fans come and watch Latics?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone who votes no is an absolute loon and clearly puts childish tribalism ahead of the financial wellbeing of the club.

Across the country there are a minority of Premiership fans who will go along to their local lower league club, whether it's as a genuine act of support or just to see some cheaper football. It should be no different with us, and I seriously don't think local rivalries should get in the way.

No offence to you fella but I find this sort of viewpoint infuriating. People who share your opinion are presumably quite happy to have a load of United fans donning shirts, acting as though in a library all over BP with Oldham fans holding doors open for them and thanking them profusely for being so magnanimous to take the step down to watch little old Latics.

The thought of it just makes me...... :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

This 'petty tribalism' that some of you talk of is the singular reason that I found match days so exhilarating as a child and still do today. Have I problem with United and City fans coming to watch Oldham? No. But if they do attend they must never and I do mean never do so in colours and they should be actively encouraged to be noisily in favour of the home team.

We must never forget that this is football, if you want civilised behaviour and a dearth of tribalism, go and watch f*cking bowls.

I am unashamedly tribal at games, my language can be 'wayward', I get p*ssed off, I get over excited, I would join in in any chant directed at someone who came in to my stand wearing a United or City shirt and for all of this I will never, never, ever apologise.

Woof.

You can but it would be hard to say I was never really that great of a fan given all the years I came to every game...

Where as a lot of these "United fans" that sometimes turn up at Latics tend to have never been to Old Trafford, maybe once....

I think there is a difference... You wouldn't see me turing up for another club regularly, if I am going to a match I am going to latics...

On a personal note I think my reluctance to come has more to do with the direction of football in general rather than anything going on at Latics....

Which is why i said now.. no doubt you came to loads of games in the past..

you sure it is direction with football..? if that vicar is still holding tea parties... :mad:

You can get a ticket at Old Trafford for £30

£30 overall about to watch tics in a 3 sided ground, or £40 quid to watch some of the best players in the world?

You can see what most utd fans are more likely to do..

you sure it is direction with football..? if that vicar is still holding tea parties... :mad:

It was the end of term BBQ for the mums and babies club my daughter goes to which is run by the church :) Far more enjoyable than sitting in a three sided dumped with :censored:e overpriced football being played by over paid arseholes :) True story :)

Edited by oafc0000

It was the end of term BBQ for the mums and babies club my daughter goes to which is run by the church :) Far more enjoyable than sitting in a three sided dumped with :censored:e overpriced football being played by over paid arseholes :) True story :)

Cant the vicar arrange saturday afternoon football trips to boundary park instead..? :grin:

I voted no for this reason.

If the question was "Would you mind if..." then I'd have answered "No. As long as they dont start spouting off when we sing anti-City/United songs."

I'd imagine they would probably laugh... I would if I heard the equivalent of Ashton, or stalybridge, or the Dog & Duck singing "We hate Oldham" ....

As for the thread, what a pointless question. If they want to pay £20 to watch latics then good on em. Would Ashton or Mossley for example complain if Oldham fans went? of course they bloody wouldnt, and that is the same context...

It must cut you up to learn that there are Oldham fans out there who aren't boring and pious.

For every one of you, there is one of me and I'm not going anywhere pal. :grin:

Woof.

I do find that being rude about other teams is a quite fundamental part of my matchday experience, and I think that our welcome guests from other clubs really ought to be able to handle that.

Bow wow

I'd imagine they would probably laugh... I would if I heard the equivalent of Ashton, or stalybridge, or the Dog & Duck singing "We hate Oldham" ....

As for the thread, what a pointless question. If they want to pay £20 to watch latics then good on em. Would Ashton or Mossley for example complain if Oldham fans went? of course they bloody wouldnt, and that is the same context...

I agree, lets face it 90% of both City and Utd fans couldn't give a badgers nadgers about Latics fans singing Anti Man U/City songs, it's a bit like Wales singing anti-England songs, as for this "Tribalism" I certainly feel it a lot more against the likes of Huddersfield and Tranmere than I do with City/Utd

It must cut you up to learn that there are Oldham fans out there who aren't boring and pious.

For every one of you, there is one of me and I'm not going anywhere pal. :grin:

Woof.

:lol:

Boring undoubtedly (I put that down to my age), but pious? :unsure:

The club needs real fans who create an atmosphere, but then I never said it didn't.

Oh, and anyone who does turn up in a United or City shirt deserves all the "banter" they'll get! :grin:

My girlfriend is a portsmouth fan and comes to quite a few games and i have a few mates who are utd fans that come to games, one who comes 4 or 5 every season and they all try to get involved in the atmospere and want us win. I dont think any of them would wear utd colours to the game and dont think anyone should but they should be more than welcome to come and spend there money and cheer the team on.

I know a few Man U fans who turned up to Oldham more times than I did last season. Simply because when the prices got too much at OT they still wanted to watch some professional football and Oldham is their nearest club. One this year has gone back to watching Man U, because he got given a season ticket as a present, he might still go to the odd Latics game but certainly not if Man U are playing on the same day.

When we were a first divison/PL club I've gone to watch Bury and Bolton when we weren't playing. I might well end up watching Durham City once/twice this season, its the same sort of thing. I don't have a problem with fans of the bigger Manchester clubs watching Oldham, I can understand why some fans don't want to, football is a tribal game and it depends what tribe you closely associate yourself with on a social level. I'd expect the likes of Tranmere, Hartlepool, Barnet, Walsall, Orient have people who go to their games who primarily identify themselves as fans of the bigger neighbours. Lots of clubs all the way down the football ladder would struggle to make ends meet if the fans of their more illustrious neighbours didn't go to their games as well.

I know a few Man U fans who turned up to Oldham more times than I did last season. Simply because when the prices got too much at OT they still wanted to watch some professional football and Oldham is their nearest club. One this year has gone back to watching Man U, because he got given a season ticket as a present, he might still go to the odd Latics game but certainly not if Man U are playing on the same day.

When we were a first divison/PL club I've gone to watch Bury and Bolton when we weren't playing. I might well end up watching Durham City once/twice this season, its the same sort of thing. I don't have a problem with fans of the bigger Manchester clubs watching Oldham, I can understand why some fans don't want to, football is a tribal game and it depends what tribe you closely associate yourself with on a social level. I'd expect the likes of Tranmere, Hartlepool, Barnet, Walsall, Orient have people who go to their games who primarily identify themselves as fans of the bigger neighbours. Lots of clubs all the way down the football ladder would struggle to make ends meet if the fans of their more illustrious neighbours didn't go to their games as well.

We might get a few more united fans coming to our games with the protests at the minute.