In-Game Thread + Post Match Thread Latics 1-1 Orient

Yeah it was Orient's goalkeeping coach, who insisted they practice with their sub goalkeeper in the goalmouth and not to the side as suggested. It's not the brightest thing to do; have a bit of a pop at someone with a pitchfork. I thought the groundsman had a valid point, why couldn't they practice to the side, and not the goalmouth which does need tending to at half time.

Its also the football league rules that they can't warm up in the goal mouth and if i remember correctly theres a poster in each dressing room making them aware of this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mvoto was one of the few players up front who, when given the ball, actually turned towards goal and had a go. Everyone else either goes backwards or sideways as soon as we hit the penalty box. The only other time we did this was for the first goal. It's so frustrating. Have a go at goal and we create chances.

Brooke and Feeney were a complete and utter waste of time. Brooke is too lightweight and slow. And to say he's an experienced player, Feeney is always 10 yards behind play and can't seem to read the game or gamble/anticipate anything. Major error taking Omar off, as he was giving the O's defence no end of problems.

Lee and Mvoto outstanding again. The majority of the others were all kinds of Meh.

Oh, and until we learn to defend a set piece and put away :censored:e like Orient at home, the ever dwindling attendance figures are just going to keep dropping.

Totally pissed off.

Wtf is it with this board and slating young players?

He's had less than 45 minutes first team action since getting a very serious injury that should of kept him out until christmas at least! Added to the fact he'll be slightly put of going into where it hurts with a slight fear of getting another serious injury at the moment. We might as well sack our youth team and centre of excellence when all our fans slate our players who have come through the ranks.

Observations on my first home games of the season:

- Stephens either wants "resting" or a kick up the @rse.

- Feeney brings nothing to the party.

- While some people find them annoying, got to hand it to the 50 or so youngsters in the Rochdale Road End, who make a real effort to create some sort of atmosphere. Without them, the level of atmosphere would rarely rise above "library" status. Keep up the good work!

Agree with that 100%

Every moans about no atmosphere but all they ever do is sit and moan moan moan.

Also people might have felt the drummer boy annoying, but at least he got songs started off in an attempt to start some atmosphere!

i think we need to be more adventurous in games like that. furman and stephens are playing too deep at the moment. if they push forwards, the whole team will but because they stay back, the attack is outnumbered and it comes back to the defence. we might lose the odd goal on the break but we'd score more to make those, hopefully, only consolation for the other team

This post best captures my feelings about the game.

One thing that I CANNOT :ranting: understand is the 'pull everyone back into the penalty area approach' when defending a corner/freekick.

It is wrong for many reasons:

1. If the ball is cleared out of defence it will go straight to the opposition and come straight back

2. It allows the opposition to bring more players into the box and overcrowding leads to mistakes

3. Too many of our own defenders in a crowded penalty area simply causes confusion and a 'someone else will deal with it' attitude - it is surely no coincidence that we concede so many from set pieces?

Leave one or two up field and the opposition will invariably put three to mark them - those defending will take more responsibility - we will be able to break quickly etc.

Oy PD - sort it! :ranting:

Rant over - <_<

Having worked in the professional game I have to say you are spot on with your observations.

Two other problems I noticed yesteday.

1. Too many Latics players obsesssed with watching the opposition movement in the penatly area and not attacking the ball.

2. Several Latics players facing toward their own goal in the penalty area, a recipe for disaster.

Latics thow ins are also woeful, surely one of the 10 outfield players can throw the ball more than 2 yards ?

My message to the Latics coches is to try something different, every opposition scout knows the set pieces vulnerability and will inform his manager accordingly.

Edited by BP1960

This post best captures my feelings about the game.

One thing that I CANNOT :ranting: understand is the 'pull everyone back into the penalty area approach' when defending a corner/freekick.

It is wrong for many reasons:

1. If the ball is cleared out of defence it will go straight to the opposition and come straight back

2. It allows the opposition to bring more players into the box and overcrowding leads to mistakes

3. Too many of our own defenders in a crowded penalty area simply causes confusion and a 'someone else will deal with it' attitude - it is surely no coincidence that we concede so many from set pieces?

Leave one or two up field and the opposition will invariably put three to mark them - those defending will take more responsibility - we will be able to break quickly etc.

Oy PD - sort it! :ranting:

Rant over - <_<

You must have been sat near me and my son, we had this same conversation yesterday........in fact we have it at every match...just invites pressure!