In-Game Thread + Post Match Thread Latics 1-1 Orient

PD was a bit off today. Taylor was running the show when he brought Feeney on for Jones and put Taylor out wide. We never looked as good after that. You live and learn. We should have had them buried well before that though.

the second sub cost us the win IMO. tounkara was playing well, making chances and causing their defenders problems and who do you bring on? a young striker who got pushed around by the one and only terrell forbes.

great goal that we scored and tounkara was unlucky not to have scored after that. taylor should have buried his chance, and so should stephens.

next game, same again for me. taylor plays so much better in the middle.

tounkara, lee, alessandra all had good games but if you dont take your chances, youll concede and get a draw against teams we should beat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a soft goal to concede. No idea how that corner squirmed across the 6 yard box - AGAIN.

The Latics' goal had a touch of class about it. Simple finish from Taylor, but Tonkara's run, the ball to Jones (?) and the pull back were great.

Tonk should have scored a second, and while the keeper was unbelievably lucky to save it (it looked like it was squirming under him) everybody in the ground knows he should have pulled it back to Taylor.

I didn't really like the Tonk/Taylor partnership, but it created two clear cut chances, so perhaps there's mileage in it.

Second half Stephens blasted a great chance over the bar. Then came the substitutions and the soft goal.

After that, Feeney was innefective, Taylor faded away but M'Voto looked maginificent as a striker! Good to see Dickov going for it, but in my mind the substitutions were all wrong and disturbed things more than was needed. If it had been 2-0, they'd have been spot on!

Orient were poor and, despite some nice passing, Latics weren't much better.

The crowd? Shocking. Ryder Cup is the only reason I can think of, unless everybody's doing their Christmas shopping early.

Edited by opinions4u

PD was a bit off today. Taylor was running the show when he brought Feeney on for Jones and put Taylor out wide. We never looked as good after that. You live and learn. We should have had them buried well before that though.

Really didn't understand why he had to make the substitutions at all. 15 minutes left one up and you take your most dangerous player off - which coaching manual is that in? Tonka was keeping their defence busy and Taylor was getting into likely positions. Replacing them with the ineffectual Brooke and Feeney and taking Jones off when he and Lee had the right hand side bottled up simply handed the initiative to Orient and they took advantage of it.

The error of the changes was reinforced when Mvoto caused more problems in his 5 minute cameo up front than Brooke and Feeney did together.

I was disappointed today, especially with the 2nd half showing. It was crying out for someone to control the ball, get it down and string some passes together. I've got neckache tonight from players aimlessly just helping the ball forward.

What happened to the controlled football we played in the first few games?

First half was a non event from both sides until about 35-40 mins in.

Our forwards are a worry for me....i cant see where the goals will come from.

Tounkare, although a very willing runner ( albeit too much in the channels for me ) doesn't strike me as a regular scorer. Cant fault his effort or workrate though.

Feeney?....we've had these before....ten a penny!

Orient were a very average side and we should be putting them away at home without too much trouble.

Fans won't return and attend regularly until we provide better entertainment and get a WINNING mentality.

Really didn't understand why he had to make the substitutions at all. 15 minutes left one up and you take your most dangerous player off - which coaching manual is that in? Tonka was keeping their defence busy and Taylor was getting into likely positions. Replacing them with the ineffectual Brooke and Feeney and taking Jones off when he and Lee had the right hand side bottled up simply handed the initiative to Orient and they took advantage of it.

The error of the changes was reinforced when Mvoto caused more problems in his 5 minute cameo up front than Brooke and Feeney did together.

Mvoto was one of the few players up front who, when given the ball, actually turned towards goal and had a go. Everyone else either goes backwards or sideways as soon as we hit the penalty box. The only other time we did this was for the first goal. It's so frustrating. Have a go at goal and we create chances.

Brooke and Feeney were a complete and utter waste of time. Brooke is too lightweight and slow. And to say he's an experienced player, Feeney is always 10 yards behind play and can't seem to read the game or gamble/anticipate anything. Major error taking Omar off, as he was giving the O's defence no end of problems.

Lee and Mvoto outstanding again. The majority of the others were all kinds of Meh.

Oh, and until we learn to defend a set piece and put away :censored:e like Orient at home, the ever dwindling attendance figures are just going to keep dropping.

Totally pissed off.

Edited by Snookmeister

The crowd? Shocking. Ryder Cup is the only reason I can think of, unless everybody's doing their Christmas shopping early.

The Ryder cup has nothing to do with it. It's the fact it's Leyton Orient at home and it's £20 to get in. That's what puts people off. Absolutely no appeal whatsoever.

The crowd? Shocking. Ryder Cup is the only reason I can think of, unless everybody's doing their Christmas shopping early

There is a trend of few goals in this team and coupled with defensive lapses fans are less willing to shell out good money for more of the same every home match.

What baffles me is when an out and out goalscorer is badly needed a defensive midfielder is signed who has yet to start a first team game.

Edited by BP1960

Another two drop points and another game where we get to the ops penalty box and do not have a clue.

Got to get the front partnership sorted quickly as its now concerning me the lack of chances we are creating when we get near that box. Feeney Yawn. Touk no luck today and should have come off a lot soon. Brooke still on the comeback trail. M'voto? was our best up front oday which was refreahing to see. Maybe another Marshy changeover like someone else suggested. Purdie? is he not fighting to play still? and PD himself, time to dust the boots off maybe

PD honeymoon period over for me. Now its time we get some points and back up the table or I have a feeling the crowd are going to turn.

Hold on tight folks the rocky roller coaster is about to set off again

Warren Feeney didn't do anything, Did he even touch the ball. I'm shocked NI still pick him.

I'm all for giving players a chance, especially when they're coming back from injury, but he looked like he was playing in lead boots today, once again. Contributed very little and was either unable or unwilling to challenge for the ball. We need an experienced player up front but i'm becoming less convinced every week that he's the player to do that.

And speaking of experience, we looked like a different team when Gregan came on. Calmed things down at the back (and it had looked VERY panicky until he came on), and freed Mvoto up to push forward. Any chance we can start with them two next week?

Trying to take positives from today, Tounkare's looking better every game, as is Taylor. We looked a threat when we got it on the ground and passed it rather than hoofing it up field, but if you can't take those chances at home to Orient, when are you going to take them?

Observations on my first home games of the season:

- Stephens either wants "resting" or a kick up the @rse.

- Feeney brings nothing to the party.

- While some people find them annoying, got to hand it to the 50 or so youngsters in the Rochdale Road End, who make a real effort to create some sort of atmosphere. Without them, the level of atmosphere would rarely rise above "library" status. Keep up the good work!

Call me mad.. but does anyone else wish that we still had colbeck at latics? He often stayed out wide, did he best to get to the by-line, and had a half decent cross..

You're mad.

I don't think we played terrible yesterday, it was certainly a step-up from last season which is mostly down to Dickov letting Black and Lee to really attack as full-backs. I just thought we lost our midfield grip in the second half and let Orient get into the game. As poor and frustrating it was to see us concede YET another set-piece goal, it was in fact coming and it came as no suprise. Had we converted the Taylor one-on-one, or had Honky-Tonk not been so selfish and squared it to the unmarked Taylor then I don't think Orient had the quality to come back from two goals down.

Ahh well, thems the breaks.

I was disappointed today, especially with the 2nd half showing. It was crying out for someone to control the ball, get it down and string some passes together. I've got neckache tonight from players aimlessly just helping the ball forward.

What happened to the controlled football we played in the first few games?

First half was a non event from both sides until about 35-40 mins in.

Our forwards are a worry for me....i cant see where the goals will come from.

Tounkare, although a very willing runner ( albeit too much in the channels for me ) doesn't strike me as a regular scorer. Cant fault his effort or workrate though.

Feeney?....we've had these before....ten a penny!

Orient were a very average side and we should be putting them away at home without too much trouble.

Fans won't return and attend regularly until we provide better entertainment and get a WINNING mentality.

This post best captures my feelings about the game.

One thing that I CANNOT :ranting: understand is the 'pull everyone back into the penalty area approach' when defending a corner/freekick.

It is wrong for many reasons:

1. If the ball is cleared out of defence it will go straight to the opposition and come straight back

2. It allows the opposition to bring more players into the box and overcrowding leads to mistakes

3. Too many of our own defenders in a crowded penalty area simply causes confusion and a 'someone else will deal with it' attitude - it is surely no coincidence that we concede so many from set pieces?

Leave one or two up field and the opposition will invariably put three to mark them - those defending will take more responsibility - we will be able to break quickly etc.

Oy PD - sort it! :ranting:

Rant over - <_<

Observations on my first home games of the season:

- Stephens either wants "resting" or a kick up the @rse.

- Feeney brings nothing to the party.

- While some people find them annoying, got to hand it to the 50 or so youngsters in the Rochdale Road End, who make a real effort to create some sort of atmosphere. Without them, the level of atmosphere would rarely rise above "library" status. Keep up the good work!

This

added to Dickov dropped a monumental bollock in taking Tonk off, Feeney's a waste of a wage so far and swans off yet again with NI next week. Such a disappointment, no wonder he's hardly played in the last 5 years.

Tbh I know we're having a love-in with Dickov, but Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Bournemouth and yesterday - is it really any better than it was under Penney? Full-backs pushing on apart, I don't think it is that much improved for the most part. We've now got the midfield dropping deeper and deeper - especially when on several occasions we've got ELEVEN Men behind the ball defending set-pieces when they've only got SEVEN in our box - how do you hit teams on the break? (two on the HW line, thir keeper on his line and the beggar taking the kick) I mean WTF??? IT just invites teams to attack and has the ball coming back at as.

Stephens to be dropped, not rested - dropped he's been poor time to give us new impetus. I like the lad but he's not doing it. Feeney needs a month in the reserves to regain his sharpness and for the love of God get Gregan back in the team and give us some organisation in defence. A point's better than nowt but the whole performance was flat again, lacking tempo, guile and direction - yet we would have won the game without silly unnecessary substitutions!

Oh and that attendance was embarassing, but BP's like sitting in a library, and another thing Hardy's protege was lucky not to get a slap off the groundsman - don't know what he said but you could see the groundsman was having a 'monk' moment with that Fork!

Edited by oafcprozac

Oh and that attendance was embarassing, but BP's like sitting in a library, and another thing Hardy's protege was lucky not to get a slap off the groundsman - don't know what he said but you could see the groundsman was having a 'monk' moment with that Fork!

Was that who he was having a go at? I thought it was Orient's keeper. Great HT entertainment.

Was that who he was having a go at? I thought it was Orient's keeper. Great HT entertainment.

Yeah it was Orient's goalkeeping coach, who insisted they practice with their sub goalkeeper in the goalmouth and not to the side as suggested. It's not the brightest thing to do; have a bit of a pop at someone with a pitchfork. I thought the groundsman had a valid point, why couldn't they practice to the side, and not the goalmouth which does need tending to at half time.