Players Reject Moves

Players Reject Moves - Corney

34 professionals for a team like ourselves is far too many. Makes you wonder if players like Gregan being made available are being forced on the club because other players are refusing to leave?

If players want to fight for a place here then that's great but as Corney says at least 4 players have refused moves. A bigger effort needs to be made to move players on and fast. Perhaps paying a percentage of players wages for the rest of the season to get them out of the club if neccessary. Not ideal but there's a lot of waste as it is on the playing side.

34 professionals for a team like ourselves is far too many. Makes you wonder if players like Gregan being made available are being forced on the club because other players are refusing to leave?

If players want to fight for a place here then that's great but as Corney says at least 4 players have refused moves. A bigger effort needs to be made to move players on and fast. Perhaps paying a percentage of players wages for the rest of the season to get them out of the club if neccessary. Not ideal but there's a lot of waste as it is on the playing side.

Simple, take them out of the reserves (out of the shop window) but still make them turn up for training and club events, then fine them if they are late etc. These people are parasites. :angry:

Simple, take them out of the reserves (out of the shop window) but still make them turn up for training and club events, then fine them if they are late etc. These people are parasites. :angry:

Or just looking out for themselves. Which me and you would do as well. Either way they need to be got rid of somehow. Got a lot of players contracts running out at the end of the season so it might get easier the further we get into the season.

Harsh, they are doing nothing worse than honouring their contracts. In the current climate they probably fear that a move down to the Bluesquare is going to be a ticket out of professional football and maybe are hoping that something changes and they get a chance here.

Do we know if these are loan moves or permanent moves?

I could understand a player not wanting to move to Blue Sq on a permanent move from league 1 as it'd probably mean a big drop in pay. The flip side of that is they'll be out of work in summer having not played - surely better to get some games under their belt?

A drop to league 2 certainly isn't the end of the world. Look what it did for O'Grady.

Also depends who the players are - if its Worthington (who I don't think will play for Latics again) then he should take his chance and go. Jacobson/Fleming on the other hand probably feel they can force their way into the team.

You only have to think back to last season and Keiran Lee. Penney made him available and told him he didn't feature in his plans, (and before this turns into Penney bashing, not many disagreed with him at the time). Whether he got offers or not I don't know but he didn't go anywhere, bided his time, eventually got in the team and the rest, as they say, is history.

Players will look after their own interests first, and much as I'd like them all to bugger off, I can't really blame them.

...... If players want to fight for a place here then that's great ..........

Problem is the players know they won't get a game - if our 'best' fringe player (Gregan) can't make the team then there's not really much validity in that argument. PD appears to have set his stall out in terms of the players needed to maintain the early momentum and I can't see him changing his mind.

In days gone by, it would have been easier to assist a player in getting a new club or pay him off but today's climate has ended that.

What this situation tells us is that clubs either have to adopt the concept of a season-long contract for all players (with renewable options) or accept the consequence of being saddled with players they don't want.

Problem is the players know they won't get a game - if our 'best' fringe player (Gregan) can't make the team then there's not really much validity in that argument. PD appears to have set his stall out in terms of the players needed to maintain the early momentum and I can't see him changing his mind.

In days gone by, it would have been easier to assist a player in getting a new club or pay him off but today's climate has ended that.

What this situation tells us is that clubs either have to adopt the concept of a season-long contract for all players (with renewable options) or accept the consequence of being saddled with players they don't want.

They will have more chance of getting a move if they have played competative football, than sat in the reserves. Thats there agents job...... not the player.

With the amount of players without a club you would think they would want to play. Like they always say, its easier to find a job whilst you are getting paid!!!

Players like Lee, Stephens , Alessandra and Black weren't catching the team at the start of last season. All of these have been a big part of our season so far so I can't agree with your first point.

Agree with season-long contracts but players won't accept these if they can get longer contracts elsewhere, Allott for example. Agents wouldn't allow it in most cases anyways. We're paying for a couple of seasons instability with the sacking of Shez and the failure of Penney to do a good job.

We need Dickov in this role for a few seasons to come even if it means a few seasons of mid-table finishes. We can't be tempted to get rid if we aren't looking like going for promotion. We aren't in that kind of position to expect it.

No more of a parasite then anyone else expecting someone else to honour a CONTRACT...

I would question the people giving out the contracts before I question the people singing them personally...

Don't think anyone can argue with that

Although on another note, if the players involved had half a brain cell, its an obvious choice

- Go to another club on loan till my contract expires (as they are going to be getting the same money), play first team football, put myself in the shop window and enhance my chances of someone coming in for me in june.

OR

- Stay at Latics, pick up my wages, and see out my contract, playing the odd reserve game along the way.

No brainer in my opinion.

Although going back to OAFC0000's point, this is fortunately something we can rectify at the end of the season, with all players out of contract except Stephens, Brooke, Jones, Black, Taylor, Feeney, Furman.

Don't think anyone can argue with that

Although on another note, if the players involved had half a brain cell, its an obvious choice

- Go to another club on loan till my contract expires (as they are going to be getting the same money), play first team football, put myself in the shop window and enhance my chances of someone coming in for me in june.

OR

- Stay at Latics, pick up my wages, and see out my contract, playing the odd reserve game along the way.

No brainer in my opinion.

Although going back to OAFC0000's point, this is fortunately something we can rectify at the end of the season, with all players out of contract except Stephens, Brooke, Jones, Black, Taylor, Feeney, Furman.

I think a lot of players probably realise the game (their time) is probably up anyway... Most of them would be well advise to stick at Latics, cash the cheques and start training for a different career...

Just watched the gregan interview on LW and he says he just wants to play games and it does not matter who for or what league he just want to be playing and enjoying his football casue he has not got long left....

Just watched the Gregan interview myself and he is very frank and honest, he has given up the captaincy as he is not playing and I don't think he expects to do so.

Just wants to play football anywhere at his age not much playing time left.

His face clearly doesn't fit, the best thing for him is to get the hell away from Latics and get playing some football somewhere.

Would some of them have the brains for a 'different career'?

A lot of them seem good at fooling experienced managers / owners in giving them long and profitable contracts... Maybe some form of investment banking or some other type of illusion work would be suitable...

When the player honours his contract, is it fair to call him a parasite?

To be fair, I can see Eddie's point because some of these players know clearly that they're not good enough for this level and have to accept that clubs in the lower divisions are their future. Whilst I wouldn't expect them to automatically accept less cash elsewhere, hanging about the club on the off-chance someone gets injured is a risky strategy because surely it's better to be playing football even at a lower level than not playing at all.

To be fair, I can see Eddie's point because some of these players know clearly that they're not good enough for this level and have to accept that clubs in the lower divisions are their future. Whilst I wouldn't expect them to automatically accept less cash elsewhere, hanging about the club on the off-chance someone gets injured is a risky strategy because surely it's better to be playing football even at a lower level than not playing at all.

Well if they went out on loan they wouldn't. They would get exactly the same, its just a case of the percentage of the wages we are left to pay.

Players like Lee, Stephens , Alessandra and Black weren't catching the team at the start of last season. All of these have been a big part of our season so far so I can't agree with your first point.

Except of course that these are young, eager and (hopefully) fit lads - the attributes that PD craves in his players - plus an ability to play football the way he wants it played.

Can we say the same about the transfer listed players ?

Just watched the Gregan interview myself and he is very frank and honest, he has given up the captaincy as he is not playing and I don't think he expects to do so.

Just wants to play football anywhere at his age not much playing time left.

His face clearly doesn't fit, the best thing for him is to get the hell away from Latics and get playing some football somewhere.

I was thinking about this the other day, I wonder if there's issues with Gregan and Dickov being the same age.. Gregan not getting on with him as he fancied the job, Dickov feeling threatened by the respect that he has no doubt got from the players.

I'm no pyschologist but definitely reckon that there are issues.