Trying times for Latics - Corney

Trying times for Latics

Reporter: Matthew Chambers

Date online: 14 October 2010

SIMON Corney admits Athletic facing hugely testing times.

The chairman has been present at Boundary Park this week as the latest set of financial figures were released, showing a loss of just over £1.5million in the year 2009.

Having lost the backing of owners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal since before the start of this season, Athletic are scrimping and saving their way what has been a promising campaign under new player-manager Paul Dickov.

Here, Corney talks to the Chronicle about the club’s money troubles.

How worrying is the financial situation at the moment?

I am worried in the sense that it is getting harder and harder each year. It is important as well to recognise that it is not just us.

Walsall are struggling for crowds and Rochdale, who earned promotion through such a great season last year, are only getting crowds of 3,000.

There are clubs in our division, like Southampton, with vastly superior funds.

The gap between the haves and the have-nots is just getting bigger and bigger.

People have also drifted off to watch Manchester City and the like and while that is unfortunate, it isn’t that we have done anything wrong to contribute to it.

The state of the economy hasn’t helped, either.

How is the club being funded beyond this season?

Funding is not in place for this season — funding stopped at the start of this season.

I think that when we said at the start of the campaign that the budget was in place, people thought we had the money to pay for it.

What we meant was that we have a budget in place and commitments which need to be paid for.

Monies are having to be found elsewhere.

What can be done to address the situation?

The only thing we can really do is to reduce the budget.

You can sell 100 more programmes, more cups of tea or turn off the lights earlier, but that will only save you a few pounds.

Bigger crowds and a reduction in wages is the only thing that really has an effect and that is the same for clubs in general.

What about new investment?

We are looking. It is important that if someone comes along, it is the right person.

It is an open secret that the club is available, but we are in tough times and attracting investors is very difficult.

Is the imposition of salary caps in the Football League the way forward?

I am sick of hearing it. Everybody knows it is the right thing to do, yet when you put football chairmen in a room together they can’t agree on it.

You have got clubs spending £5million a year on wages who want to have a go and they have their point of view. I don’t think it will ever happen.

There are good people at the Football League and perhaps better leadership is needed.

For the greater good of football, it has to happen.

Is the state of Boundary Park holding the club back?

Boundary Park is not a pleasant matchday experience. It is 100 years old. People want to come to football with their families, to eat quality food in a nice facility.

There are great people working here at the club, but we all know that it has had years and years of decline and needs changing.

How important is a new stadium at Failsworth to the club’s future?

We are 100-per-cent committed to Failsworth and believe it will be to the benefit of the club.

If you look around at the sides that have new grounds — like Colchester, Shrewsbury and Chesterfield — they are right up there near the top of their divisions doing well.

Then there is the success story of Doncaster, who are playing in the Championship.

It is no coincidence.

How frustrating have the delays with the Failsworth project been and how far away is it from being a reality?

It is definitely frustrating. I would say if we are not there in three years, then it is not happening.

I would like to think there is an outside chance of being there in two years.

But I don’t want to put a firm date on it as that can come back and bite you. - Touche, Simon, Touche....

Re: The funding issue, that was simply not we were told in the Summer, seems the goal-posts have been moved again....i'm sure we can quotes from Messrs Hardy and Owen stating that the budget was in place for this season and that alluded to funds being in place, with no clarification being offered at the time.

Edited by oafcprozac

Trying times for Latics

Reporter: Matthew Chambers

Date online: 14 October 2010

SIMON Corney admits Athletic facing hugely testing times.

The chairman has been present at Boundary Park this week as the latest set of financial figures were released, showing a loss of just over £1.5million in the year 2009.

Having lost the backing of owners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal since before the start of this season, Athletic are scrimping and saving their way what has been a promising campaign under new player-manager Paul Dickov.

Here, Corney talks to the Chronicle about the club’s money troubles.

How worrying is the financial situation at the moment?

I am worried in the sense that it is getting harder and harder each year. It is important as well to recognise that it is not just us.

Walsall are struggling for crowds and Rochdale, who earned promotion through such a great season last year, are only getting crowds of 3,000.

There are clubs in our division, like Southampton, with vastly superior funds.

The gap between the haves and the have-nots is just getting bigger and bigger.

People have also drifted off to watch Manchester City and the like and while that is unfortunate, it isn’t that we have done anything wrong to contribute to it.

The state of the economy hasn’t helped, either.

How is the club being funded beyond this season?

Funding is not in place for this season — funding stopped at the start of this season.

I think that when we said at the start of the campaign that the budget was in place, people thought we had the money to pay for it.

What we meant was that we have a budget in place and commitments which need to be paid for.

Monies are having to be found elsewhere.

What can be done to address the situation?

The only thing we can really do is to reduce the budget.

You can sell 100 more programmes, more cups of tea or turn off the lights earlier, but that will only save you a few pounds.

Bigger crowds and a reduction in wages is the only thing that really has an effect and that is the same for clubs in general.

What about new investment?

We are looking. It is important that if someone comes along, it is the right person.

It is an open secret that the club is available, but we are in tough times and attracting investors is very difficult.

Is the imposition of salary caps in the Football League the way forward?

I am sick of hearing it. Everybody knows it is the right thing to do, yet when you put football chairmen in a room together they can’t agree on it.

You have got clubs spending £5million a year on wages who want to have a go and they have their point of view. I don’t think it will ever happen.

There are good people at the Football League and perhaps better leadership is needed.

For the greater good of football, it has to happen.

Is the state of Boundary Park holding the club back?

Boundary Park is not a pleasant matchday experience. It is 100 years old. People want to come to football with their families, to eat quality food in a nice facility.

There are great people working here at the club, but we all know that it has had years and years of decline and needs changing.

How important is a new stadium at Failsworth to the club’s future?

We are 100-per-cent committed to Failsworth and believe it will be to the benefit of the club.

If you look around at the sides that have new grounds — like Colchester, Shrewsbury and Chesterfield — they are right up there near the top of their divisions doing well.

Then there is the success story of Doncaster, who are playing in the Championship.

It is no coincidence.

How frustrating have the delays with the Failsworth project been and how far away is it from being a reality?

It is definitely frustrating. I would say if we are not there in three years, then it is not happening.

I would like to think there is an outside chance of being there in two years.

But I don’t want to put a firm date on it as that can come back and bite you. - Touche, Simon, Touche....

Re: The funding issue, that was simply not we were told in the Summer, seems the goal-posts have been moved again....i'm sure we can quotes from Messrs Hardy and Owen stating that the budget was in place for this season and that alluded to funds being in place, with no clarification being offered at the time.

well, there we have it folks - prepare yourselves.

The crowds are lower than expected.

There are half a dozen players on the transfer list who weren't in the budgetary plan from 1st September - but they are still at BP.

The original plan looked good on paper. But the numbers were merely a forecast. Michael Fish eat your heart out.

Edited by opinions4u

The crowds are lower than expected.

There are half a dozen players on the transfer list who weren't in the budgetary plan from 1st September - but they are still at BP.

The original plan looked good on paper. But the numbers were merely a forecast. Michael Fish eat your heart out.

the thing i find frightening is the fact everybody knows its failsworth or bust now...has been for a while,so why the hell are we dragging our feet over it...

you can only blame the council for so long,the club have got to be more proactive on getting this in planning and getting it sorted,otherwise the comment of"if were not there in 3 years it aint happening" will be trotted out as again oldham council didnt help us...

if you want something you have to go out there and grasp it by the bolloks and drag it screaming and kicking into development....not pussy foot about dilly dallying saying oh the council are busy this month..get it sorted out please now!!!

Can you see this happening BEFORE FAILsworth.

Possible regional structure (based on teams currently in League One and League Two):

North: Accrington, ATHLETIC, Bradford, Burton, Bury, Carlisle, Chesterfield, Crewe, Hartlepool, Huddersfield, Lincoln, Macclesfield, Morecambe, Northampton, Notts County, Peterborough, Port Vale, Rochdale, Rotherham, Sheffield Wednesday, Shrewsbury, Stockport, Tranmere, Walsall.

South: Aldershot, Barnet, Bournemouth, Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Brighton, Charlton, Cheltenham, Colchester, Dagenham, Exeter, Gillingham, Hereford, Leyton Orient, MK Dons, Plymouth, Oxford, Southampton, Southend, Stevenage, Swindon, Torquay, Wycombe, Yeovil.

Personally I can see this happening as a cost cutting excercise as the finance bites in Country.

This would work, but I'd miss my days out in London or weekends away at Plymouth etc.. but it has to happen for the good of the lower leagues.

the thing i find frightening is the fact everybody knows its failsworth or bust now...has been for a while,so why the hell are we dragging our feet over it...

you can only blame the council for so long,the club have got to be more proactive on getting this in planning and getting it sorted,otherwise the comment of"if were not there in 3 years it aint happening" will be trotted out as again oldham council didnt help us...

if you want something you have to go out there and grasp it by the bolloks and drag it screaming and kicking into development....not pussy foot about dilly dallying saying oh the council are busy this month..get it sorted out please now!!!

It always was Ed...

This would work, but I'd miss my days out in London or weekends away at Plymouth etc.. but it has to happen for the good of the lower leagues.

The way it would work is the 48 clubs in leaguyes 1 and 2 would be split according to their geographical location, hence you will get some teams like walsall who may be playing in league 1 north one year, and league 1 south the next, depending on the make up of teams.

And not only that, the conference would have to be completely regionalised. YOu couldn;t have the bottom two tiers of the FL being regional, then the conference national/BSP being a national leagie

Can you see this happening BEFORE FAILsworth.

Possible regional structure (based on teams currently in League One and League Two):

North: Accrington, ATHLETIC, Bradford, Burton, Bury, Carlisle, Chesterfield, Crewe, Hartlepool, Huddersfield, Lincoln, Macclesfield, Morecambe, Northampton, Notts County, Peterborough, Port Vale, Rochdale, Rotherham, Sheffield Wednesday, Shrewsbury, Stockport, Tranmere, Walsall.

South: Aldershot, Barnet, Bournemouth, Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Brighton, Charlton, Cheltenham, Colchester, Dagenham, Exeter, Gillingham, Hereford, Leyton Orient, MK Dons, Plymouth, Oxford, Southampton, Southend, Stevenage, Swindon, Torquay, Wycombe, Yeovil.

Personally I can see this happening as a cost cutting excercise as the finance bites in Country.

How would the oasis boys feel about this? :shock:

I'm almost definite the ball is in the Charity Commissions court. We're waiting on them to confirm that the bit of disputed land that now has charity status can be swapped with another bit of land that the council have suggested thus freeing the land up for Latics to build on.

I would imagine putting any pressure on the Commission for an early decision would only make then put the file back to the bottom of the pile.

I'm almost definite the ball is in the Charity Commissions court. We're waiting on them to confirm that the bit of disputed land that now has charity status can be swapped with another bit of land that the council have suggested thus freeing the land up for Latics to build on.

I would imagine putting any pressure on the Commission for an early decision would only make then put the file back to the bottom of the pile.

as i understand it the charity commision has already ruled we can do this swapsy lark....the very last i heard was that the group of allotment holders were to be shown the 2 areas under consideration and then give feedback....so that was at least 2 months ago...how long can it take 13 people to go look at 2 pieces of scrubland?????

the club doesnt need to put pressure on the charity commision,it needs to put pressure on oldham council and say right come on...show them the land and lets get this rolling,because at this rate they not gonna see it till next year,then it will be ok yeah we will choose this piece of land,then we have to submit outline planning so thats not gonna happen until augustish.....

we know its :censored: or bust time,i just dont understand why were pissing about and not getting it sorted.

Maybe thats the allotment holders plan drag there feet and delay untill the club go bust problem solved for them no stadium on there land and they cao go back to tending there plot till they pop there clogs and all will be right with there world .No jobs for there kids and there still living in a blighted run down eyesore of a town ? With no facilitys but hey theve won against the bigbad football club .Maybe fcscum can regenerate the area !

as i understand it the charity commision has already ruled we can do this swapsy lark....the very last i heard was that the group of allotment holders were to be shown the 2 areas under consideration and then give feedback....so that was at least 2 months ago...how long can it take 13 people to go look at 2 pieces of scrubland?????

the club doesnt need to put pressure on the charity commision,it needs to put pressure on oldham council and say right come on...show them the land and lets get this rolling,because at this rate they not gonna see it till next year,then it will be ok yeah we will choose this piece of land,then we have to submit outline planning so thats not gonna happen until augustish.....

we know its :censored: or bust time,i just dont understand why were pissing about and not getting it sorted.

The Charity Commission still has to decide that the chosen piece of land is suitable (of equal or greater worth, and not just monetary) than the existing plot. My understanding is that that is where we are up to, and that the Oldham Council sub-comittee had already done all necessary consultation with regards to it.